• John Terry
    • Nigel Pearson
    • Neil Warnock
    • Aitor Karanka
    • Claude Puel
    • Carlos Carvalhal
    • Other (please state)

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 13/09/17 at 06:08

I don't think there's any chance Rafa would come here.

It was a  huge coup for Newcastle holding onto him when they went down.

If he left there he'd have far more attractive suitors than us

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Spoony said:

Bring back O'Neill?

I could write a lengthy essay on why it would be a bad move, but I'll just stick to a couple of main points; 

O'Neil built a relatively exciting, counter attacking, team. We were pretty well organised at the back and frightening on the break. Watching us away from home was a joy, the way he set us up gave us an honest chance of winning anywhere and we had a bit of quality too. 

But, he had no more of a clue how to break defensive teams down at home than Bruce does. His 'tactics' were almost as non existent. We'd hit a ceiling and if people take away the nostalgia, there were genuine questions being asked of his ability to push us on at the end of his fourth season. He didn't coach, that was Robertson and Walford, his scouting network, basically made it as far as Scotland and that was as 'foreign' as it got. 

When we needed goals and guile to push on, he went out and got the likes of Sidwell and Heskey. Not because of money contstraints, because he didn't have the ability to manage in any other way than, old school, British, 'up and at em'. He overpaid for pretty much everybody, even the players we turned a profit on, weren't plucked from obscurity, we paid top money for them. His best deal? Swapping Carew for Baros, how he managed that I'll never know. 

His substitutions were a joke. Do people not remember the 'Barry to left back' substitution he used to make every week?! He persisted in playing centre halfs at right back, then when he finall brought arguably one of the best in the league at the time, he played him a left back! When he brought an attacking left back, he dropped him for being one! 

There was a decent amount of good about O'Neil and I'd love to have those days back in many ways, but he was also massively overrated and would be a disaster if he came back. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

I could write a lengthy essay on why it would be a bad move, but I'll just stick to a couple of main points; 

O'Neil built a relatively exciting, counter attacking, team. We were pretty well organised at the back and frightening on the break. Watching us away from home was a joy, the way he set us up gave us an honest chance of winning anywhere and we had a bit of quality too. 

But, he had no more of a clue how to break defensive teams down at home than Bruce does. His 'tactics' were almost as non existent. We'd hit a ceiling and if people take away the nostalgia, there were genuine questions being asked of his ability to push us on at the end of his fourth season. He didn't coach, that was Robertson and Walford, his scouting network, basically made it as far as Scotland and that was as 'foreign' as it got. 

When we needed goals and guile to push on, he went out and got the likes of Sidwell and Heskey. Not because of money contstraints, because he didn't have the ability to manage in any other way than, old school, British, 'up and at em'. He overpaid for pretty much everybody, even the players we turned a profit on, weren't plucked from obscurity, we paid top money for them. His best deal? Swapping Carew for Baros, how he managed that I'll never know. 

His substitutions were a joke. Do people not remember the 'Barry to left back' substitution he used to make every week?! He persisted in playing centre halfs at right back, then when he finall brought arguably one of the best in the league at the time, he played him a left back! When he brought an attacking left back, he dropped him for being one! 

There was a decent amount of good about O'Neil and I'd love to have those days back in many ways, but he was also massively overrated and would be a disaster if he came back. 

O'Neill would bring back a winning mentality. All of the stuff you mentioned can't really be argued with except other than to say it worked for him, we won games, and we finished higher than we've been any time since then. Luke Young at left back, Cuellar at right back, the Barry substitution, his coaching methods (or lack of) all got us up the table. He spent big money on players that would win him a game tomorrow because he was able to. He was only concerned about winning his next game and did whatever it took to do that.

That's what we need now.

MON was a excellent man manager without question. The points of him having no plan A are very true he was limited and wasted money on some awful players. But MON was the only manager from then to current day that I believed we could actually beat anyone. MON actually delivered a victory at Old Trafford! 

To have those days back  :(

Just now, El-Reacho said:

O'Neill would bring back a winning mentality. All of the stuff you mentioned can't really be argued with except other than to say it worked for him, we won games, and we finished higher than we've been any time since then. Luke Young at left back, Cuellar at right back, the Barry substitution, his coaching methods (or lack of) all got us up the table. He spent big money on players that would win him a game tomorrow because he was able to. He was only concerned about winning his next game and did whatever it took to do that.

That's what we need now.

He didn't win enough games though. His tactics were good enough for 6th, but it was never getting any better. for the money we spent, it wasn't good enough in hindsight. 

We are going to face game after game (especially at home), with teams sitting back and  defending deep. O'Neil didn't have the answer for that last time and he won't have the answer for that now. 

Again, I get why people look back with fondness, he romantically nourished me too :D, but he's just another dinosaur with an outdated view of the game now. He wanted to be the next cloughie and came up short. He also spat his dummy out over funds and walked out on us, so I can't see him signing up with no budget. 

It's a mute point anyway, it's another one that's not happening. 

I want us to become hard and horrible to play against. I also want VP to become an horrible place to go to. It's all to soft and nicey nice at the moment. What do people think about warnock?  Me personally would rather Bruce sort it out, but there is something about warnock I like. He's ideal for this league.

2 minutes ago, wazzap24 said:

Rafa is getting a mention on two threads now :crylaugh: The closest thing we are getting to Benitez, is Moyes turning up at his unveiling with a goatee beard. Give.it.up. 

When linked with him before we turned our noses up at him :D we were supposedly to big for him which is unbelievable really. I think we really would be doing well if we ever got him. Bigger things await Rafa imo 

32 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wonder if they will consider Pearson, Ok he didnt do great with Derby but he is a great man manager but he does know how to get out of this league 

Dont think he would allow the shambles we saw vs Cardiff 

Pearson would be another disaster.

Had a few good seasons with Leicester when he had Walsh and Shakespeare with him who did most of the work. No chance of either of those coming here with him.

Fed up of us getting managers without their first choice backroom staff it just doesn't work either we get the entire unit or we just don't go for them imo.

Edited by AshVilla

What about this. 

The Doc signs us up to a massive reality TV deal with Sky. We call it 'who'd be a manger anyway' and each one of the nuggets on that list, gets 4 games each as manager.

At the end of the season, the 4 best are sent out into the woods in a remote location, for a Battle Royal style finale. The last Nigel Pearson left alive takes the job for next year?