Glenn Whelan

Jareth

3 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

That header was hilarious. The guy is awful. 

In a melee of bodies the ball just hit him on the head, he didn't see it.

The guy is a type of player that breaks up play.....awful.....Nah.

There were no awful performances last night...total commitment from all.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

To be fair, I've only seen the highlights from last night. I think generally speaking, he's had a terrible season though. 

1 hour ago, PieFacE said:

To be fair, I've only seen the highlights from last night. I think generally speaking, he's had a terrible season though. 

I have seen him have some poor games, but he is never going to be eye candy, he does the ugly stuff, that some fans see as a given.

you need players with differences in a squad to cope with varying scenarios, they can't all be the same.

against those neanderthals, i thought he did ok.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I think nit's been mixed.

Definitely disappointing overall, but he did have a spell before christmas where he was very good for us. That's forgotten in the VT only-as-good-as-your-last-game world, but it happened.

But yeah. I definitely hoped he would be better. But I think "terrible" is an exaggeration for his overall performance.

Definitely 3rd in line for that DM spot now though.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

I have seen in have some poor games, but he is never going to be eye candy, he does the ugly stuff, that some fans see as a given.

you need players with differences in a squad to cope with varying scenarios, they can't all be the same.

against those neanderthals, i thought he did ok.

Yep, agree with this.

He's played his part this season - Blues away comes to mind when he was battered and bruised and got the MOTM if I remember rightly.

Almost scored a worldie last night too on the volley.... Whiskers wide :D

2 hours ago, TRO said:

Trying to be positive......i think he reads the  game quite well too.

He actually does, and his vision is great, but his age has caught up to him. You can see it. Whelan isn't shit. He is actually a decent footballer, or was, but now he no longer can react as quickly, or pass as sharply as before. 

I think he can still contribute at this level, but probably not for a club like ours. 

• Like 1

I thought he did well last night but this was the ideal side for him to be up against as they were physical with little pace and movement. You put him against quick players who move the ball quickly and then look to find space and he is now found wanting.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, TRO said:

It may feel like I’m being picky.  Not my intent.  But it’s possible to have total commitment and still be awful.   All I have to do is recall my playing days to prove that possible.   :)

Hourihane missed a sitter, in an overall good match, but it was an awful moment 

To at least partially agree with you, I think some are prone to apply harsh negatives overly broadly at a specific individual.  I prefer to use negatives to describe actions rather than people.  Whelan “is” not awful.  Whelan had too many awful moments last night.  I would prefer we use pretty much every other option in that position.   

Even ignoring the fact he almost scored twice for Cardiff? I mean ffs? He didn’t play well at all last night, can’t believe some people are saying that.

He gave the ball away a lot actually. But more importantly, his legs have completely gone (if he ever had any), summed up by him ambling over to Mendaiz-Laing, before being left for dead, as their player touched it around him and forced a good save from Johnstone.

To be honest I don’t think any of our centre mids (unless you include Jack) are much cop, all have glaring weaknesses to their games.

Edited by Cizzler

Â