Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 hour ago, villianusa said:

A big error is something that leads to a goal or at least a good chance to the opposition. To both of them, I would say no.

Every player in any given game is going to make a mistake every game over 90 minutes. A big error, I would say not.

sadly for Whelan, he made two in back to back games, so a number of people forget all the good work he has down.

It's not the big errors for me, it's the constantly giving the ball away. There is almost no point in winning the ball if you spend as much time handing it back again. 

Should NEVER play when Jedi is fit. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I'm kind of the same.

Whelan was in the team every week when we had our previous good run this season.

He's had a couple of really poor performances of late so I'm glad Jedinak is getting a go in there. But I don' really subscribe to this train of thought that we're a much worse side with Whelan in it. Some of our best performances this season have been with Whelan in the side.

They have to have been - he’s been pretty much ever present. 

Personally, I find it no coincidence that we’re both more solid defensively and more attacking without Whelan playing. He slows everything down and lets a lot run through him. Jedinak rarely does the latter and doesn’t dally on the ball either (even if his passing is pretty wank). 

Just now, bobzy said:

They have to have been - he’s been pretty much ever present. 

Personally, I find it no coincidence that we’re both more solid defensively and more attacking without Whelan playing. He slows everything down and lets a lot run through him. Jedinak rarely does the latter and doesn’t dally on the ball either (even if his passing is pretty wank). 

I don't think we are though. That's my point.

We've been solid defensively and attacking this season with Whelan in the side.

I think the way Bruce asks Whelan to play is at least partly to blame for why we are better without him. Bruce gambled everything on attacking down the wings and Whelan/Jed/Connor just supporting the defence. It actually worked for a while if you look at the Adomah goals, Whelan did a very basic job that kept things ticking over. But then teams cottoned on and started to mark Adomah and Snodgrass out of the game and suddenly we needed creativity through the middle and Whelan had no idea what to do, he was asked to keep the ball and safety first not pass and move. Obviously the awful mistakes he's made are all on him, but i refuse to make him the sole scape goat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

He's had a couple of really poor performances of late so I'm glad Jedinak is getting a go in there. But I don' really subscribe to this train of thought that we're a much worse side with Whelan in it. Some of our best performances this season have been with Whelan in the side.

I'm unsure about this, but there's no denying some of our absolute worst performances have come when they both feature simultaneously.

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think we are though. That's my point.

We've been solid defensively and attacking this season with Whelan in the side.

Again, of course we have, he’s been ever present. However, aside from against two of the worst teams in the division, I can’t remember a game that has seen us be solid in both areas? I might be wrong. 

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

Again, of course we have, he’s been ever present. 

Exactly.

1 minute ago, bobzy said:

However, aside from against two of the worst teams in the division, I can’t remember a game that has seen us be solid in both areas? I might be wrong. 

Well imo our best games this season were vs Burton, Preston and QPR. 

Whilst we did concede in the QPR game, I think we were solid in all of those games, and we were very attacking in them too.

Like I said, I'm not singing the guy's praises. he's had some good games and he's had some poor games. I just don't really agree that taking him out of the team has suddenly had this massive impact.

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Well imo our best games this season were vs Burton, Preston and QPR. 

Whilst we did concede in the QPR game, I think we were solid in all of those games, and we were very attacking in them too.

Like I said, I'm not singing the guy's praises. he's had some good games and he's had some poor games. I just don't really agree that taking him out of the team has suddenly had this massive impact.

Norwich and today as the best performances for me.

I’d like to see us continue without Whelan as first choice. 6 goals, 0 conceded against direct promotion rivals has convinced me of that. We will have good games and bad games without him too, but that’s a great start. 

Edit: Also, we’ve kept the ball SO MUCH better without him. 

Edited by bobzy

Whelan's two gaffs in recent games could have completely derailed us. I hope he comes back fighting for his place and is motivated to put it right - up until those HUGE errors he was relatively useful. 

• Like 1

Whelan is a better passer than Jedi but not good enough for it to make a massive difference. Whereas Jedi is significantly better defensively than Whelan and if you let the others attack then it is a good strategy to have him just sit. 

25 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Norwich and today as the best performances for me.

I’d like to see us continue without Whelan as first choice. 6 goals, 0 conceded against direct promotion rivals has convinced me of that. We will have good games and bad games without him too, but that’s a great start. 

Edit: Also, we’ve kept the ball SO MUCH better without him. 

I'd also like to see Jedinak stay in for now. 

• Like 1

Jedinak was a key player for us last season. When we fell apart last season in Jan it was not coincidence Jed was out injured. 

Him missing pretty much the first part of this season could have been costly had we not signed adequate cover. But Whelan has slotted in and done a job. 

Whelen isn't Jed. But he has deputised well. Now I think he should have to earn (or wait for) his place back. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...

Guessing he will back tomorrow as jedinak likely out. We know how bad jedinak can be whem unfit therfore I think whelan will get the nod. He has been out of the side now for two games for first time. Hopefulky that gives him a kick up the backside to cut out the reckless mistakes.

5 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Guessing he will back tomorrow as jedinak likely out. We know how bad jedinak can be whem unfit therfore I think whelan will get the nod. He has been out of the side now for two games for first time. Hopefulky that gives him a kick up the backside to cut out the reckless mistakes.

How can you have a kick up the ass to cut out mistakes? They are exactly that a mistake, he's not doing it on purpose 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

How can you have a kick up the ass to cut out mistakes? They are exactly that a mistake, he's not doing it on purpose 

By not making them? 

Good cms dont make as many mistakes and bad decsiions like whelan does.

I don't rate him as a starter.

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

By not making them? 

Good cms dont make as many mistakes and bad decsiions like whelan does.

I don't rate him as a starter.

I think he’s our only option to slot in and keep our shape unfortunately. I’m pretty sure he’s lost whatever he had now though as nearly every time he receives the ball he looks like he really struggles to know what to do with it, often leading to a rushed misplaced pass or just miscontrol.

9 hours ago, stegzy said:

I think he’s our only option to slot in and keep our shape unfortunately. I’m pretty sure he’s lost whatever he had now though as nearly every time he receives the ball he looks like he really struggles to know what to do with it, often leading to a rushed misplaced pass or just miscontrol.

Yep that's how I see it. You can tell he is coming to the end of his career

Â