Glenn Whelan

Jareth

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

He always seems to have a big mistake in him - and i am not sure we can risk that in the playoffs.

You mean apart form all the games where he hasn't made a big mistake?

9 hours ago, flashingqwerty said:

He has had far more woeful games than good for us

This just isn't true, is it?

Edited by Stevo985

2 hours ago, mikeyp102 said:

He really hasn’t. He’s had a couple of bad games, yes, but has been an integral part of a winning side.

Agree, in fact in some of our recent games I’d say he’s been one of our stand out performers.

I was stood next to a guy on a Saturday who was ecstatic at Hutton coming on, yet spent the entire game laying into Whelan .......his comments about each bore no relation to what was happening on the pitch. For me it sometimes reads like that on here, it’s as if people don’t even watch the games.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, terrytini said:

Agree, in fact in some of our recent games I’d say he’s been one of our stand out performers.

I was stood next to a guy on a Saturday who was ecstatic at Hutton coming on, yet spent the entire game laying into Whelan .......his comments about each bore no relation to what was happening on the pitch. For me it sometimes reads like that on here, it’s as if people don’t even watch the games.

Yep. People's opinions of player matter far more sometimes, but we're probably all guilty of it to certain degrees.

On Saturday, Whelan played a nice ball into Grealish's feet. Grealish turned and tried to take it round a player and got tackled.

Bloke in front of me went mental at whelan for a bad pass. It was ludicrous.

4 hours ago, terrytini said:

What a random correlation,  why would a persons opinion on 2 different players have anything to do with each other?

TBH I would agree with the guys evaluation.  Great to see Hutton back and Whelan for me was playing on his heels too much in the first half.  

Dont get the praise for him tbh, he is decent enough in the enforcer role but hes all round the weakest of the 3 as he offers so little other than his primary role.  He has no chance if someone has a run on him or if he has to react to a quick shift in emphasis in attack. 

Im not a hater at all, really happy we signed him as i think he has performed a vital role this season, and still think he plays well in the bigger games (although id prefer Jedi if the choice is to be made)

Back to Saturdays game I did think he improved greatly in the 2nd half but that had a lot to do with the fact that Derby had given up attacking in numbers. It really showed when Onomah came on and help force the equaliser.

In general his years are catching up with him, and giving him too many weaknesses for me.

20 minutes ago, Nigel said:

What a random correlation,  why would a persons opinion on 2 different players have anything to do with each other?

TBH I would agree with the guys evaluation.  Great to see Hutton back and Whelan for me was playing on his heels too much in the first half.  

Dont get the praise for him tbh, he is decent enough in the enforcer role but hes all round the weakest of the 3 as he offers so little other than his primary role.  He has no chance if someone has a run on him or if he has to react to a quick shift in emphasis in attack. 

Im not a hater at all, really happy we signed him as i think he has performed a vital role this season, and still think he plays well in the bigger games (although id prefer Jedi if the choice is to be made)

Back to Saturdays game I did think he improved greatly in the 2nd half but that had a lot to do with the fact that Derby had given up attacking in numbers. It really showed when Onomah came on and help force the equaliser.

In general his years are catching up with him, and giving him too many weaknesses for me.

Because he treated one decent player as if he was the Messiah, and the other decent player as if he was a disgrace.

Whether you think one is better than the other or not, the hugely different treatment afforded quite similar players revealed a pre existing prejudice, which is what I was getting at. ...and Which he confirmed at Half Time. 

1 hour ago, meregreen said:

Have to say when Whelan was replaced by Onomah, and Uncle Albert by Kodjia, l thought we looked far more dangerous. More forward impetus, less sideways and safe.

I agree. But that doesn’t mean Whelan was poor, just different. FWIW if we could get Josh playing like that all the time I think he’d get the starting spot.

16 minutes ago, terrytini said:

Because he treated one decent player as if he was the Messiah, and the other decent player as if he was a disgrace.

Whether you think one is better than the other or not, the hugely different treatment afforded quite similar players revealed a pre existing prejudice, which is what I was getting at. ...and Which he confirmed at Half Time. 

Fair enough

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Was like Jonny Sexton near the end of the game. Kept kicking the ball as far away from the pitch as possible :lol:

Loved how he booted it into the stands even when the ball was well over a line for a goal kick :lol:

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

There was quite a spring in his step on that goal. We did him no favours throughout the early parts of last season playing him to death. I thought he looked ruined and gone, which maybe wasn't the case... and that reputation has stuck with him unfortunately.

Will need to be managed a lot better this year.

• 3 weeks later...
8 minutes ago, meregreen said:

He really is a has been. Green comes on and has more impact in 5 minutes than this guy has all game. 

Such an odd comparison, comparing a flying winger to a dm... 

I questioned his selection as thought BB would add more energy, but for me Whelan was one of our better players. Broke down their attacks and showed calmness on the call when needed. Yes tires towards the end and certainly can’t play the full season but is a vital cog in our squad and we’ll win more with him than without. 

Â