Glenn Whelan

Jareth

1 minute ago, Zatman said:

people having a go about the near own goals :rolleyes:

Yes. The second attempted own goal was woeful. No attempt at a defensive header, not sure he even reacted at all. He just let the ball smash off his bonce and then he just lay on the ground for the entire rest of the goalmouth scramble. 

He’s not atrocious with the ball at his feet (when he has a bit of time), but he’s too slow/old to be effective for us, even at this level. 

2 hours ago, srsmithusa said:

It may feel like I’m being picky.  Not my intent.  But it’s possible to have total commitment and still be awful.   All I have to do is recall my playing days to prove that possible.   :)

Hourihane missed a sitter, in an overall good match, but it was an awful moment 

To at least partially agree with you, I think some are prone to apply harsh negatives overly broadly at a specific individual.  I prefer to use negatives to describe actions rather than people.  Whelan “is” not awful.  Whelan had too many awful moments last night.  I would prefer we use pretty much every other option in that position.   

Form can play tricks with the best of us, if you have ever played sport, unless you are amongst the best in the world.

Attitude and approach is a bit more controllable and offers less excuse......thats my take on it.

10 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

I must be on my own here but I thought Whelan played really well the other night. 

No, you most certainly are not.

Edited by TRO

On 12/04/2018 at 10:54, avfc1982 said:

I must be on my own here but I thought Whelan played really well the other night. 

I agree he played well. Definitely going to need him over the last 7 games including the playoffs.

Edited by dubliner

2 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

And excellent again last night. 

Yep but still some people won't be won over.

His experience at this stage of the season with playoffs more than likely coming up will be crucial 

Â