General Election 2017

ender4

2 minutes ago, Chindie said:

I believe the stats show that most Remain voters now just want to get on with it and have accepted the result.

I'm not sure Corbyn is a soft Brexiter either. He supports leaving the single market iirc.

Presumably though, most 'releavers' as I believe they're called, are resigned to it largely because they thought it was going ahead. If there were a significant chance of it not happening, they might 'unresign' themselves pretty sharpish. 

1 hour ago, Jon said:

I find this "who has won.  Who has lost" line quite infantile. It adds little.  It's what someone who knew nothing about politics or Government, or a 6 year old, might ask. 

I agree in part - al the various people saying "Labour emerged as the winner" or Corbyn did, or May lost, or tories lost - or whatever different versions, yet at the same time that's what elections are for, where it's about red party v Blue party v Yellow parties...to see who is going to run the country. The whole purpose of our current system is to select a "winner" in each constituency and overall to run the country.

The adversarial, first past the post system is broken. It encourages confrontation and discourages people working together....etc and so forth. And while that remains, there are winners and losers in both absolute fact and in terms of, ahem, momentum. Labour is on an upswing and Tories on a downswing at the moment....but that may change again (though not for a while, I'd imagine).

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, snowychap said:

Farron steps down.

Yes torn between being a political leader and being a faithful Christian apparently. Not sure who would take over. Cable must be too old. Maybe Lamb or Davey.

11 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Yes torn between being a political leader and being a faithful Christian apparently. Not sure who would take over. Cable must be too old. Maybe Lamb or Davey.

Guess we know his views on gay marriage now.

Thought he came across as an eye swivelling loon to be honest. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Chindie said:

I believe the stats show that most Remain voters now just want to get on with it and have accepted the result.

I'm not sure Corbyn is a soft Brexiter either. He supports leaving the single market iirc.

Agreed on both points, but that's not what I meant. The suggestion was that the Tory press would imply that Corbyn would soften Brexit, and that in itself would damage his support. I'm saying (for a number of reasons), that I don't think it would work. 

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Guess we know his views on gay marriage now.

Thought he came across as an eye swivelling loon to be honest. 

Surely it could be argued that he is just sticking to his principles in much the same way that Corbyn does. One difference seems to be that Corbyn gets lauded for doing that. 

• Like 2

15 hours ago, itdoesntmatterwhatthissay said:

If you're basing that assumption on Brexit then I think you need to rethink it.
Immigration did not play as big a part in Brexit as the average bozo in a forum seems to think (jokes). Corbyn may be a good example of that.

The reason Labour did so well is because they finally changed the direction of politics in the country, something Blair/Brown/Miliband weren't willing to do. That message is not going away and it will chip away at the Conservatives because they might not be brave enough to embrace reality/change.

I'm not sure if it's enough to win an election outright but the results in Scotland aren't discouraging if you're a betting man.

Well I am basing it on that the BREXIT vote was largely caused by immigration. If the tories can paint labour as soft on immigration that will be a big vote winner for then. Sadly racial prejudice is a vote winner IMO. 

11 hours ago, JB said:

Sticking to your principles doesn't make you a good person if your principles are **** up. 

Philosophically speaking the leader of the Lib-Dems should be religious as the party is usually seen as representing the mid-point between the Tories and Labour.

As Nietzsche pointed out when he lamented that God was dead, humanity was left to choose between nihilism (May) and ideology (Corbyn).

It looks like he was right.

• Like 1

Â