General Election 2017

ender4

But one of the ceremony’s stranger moments still took place: A figure known as “Black Rod,” a parliamentary official, performed his usual task of summoning members of the House of Commons, the lower house of parliament filled with recently elected lawmakers, to listen to the speech.

Every time the queen goes to Parliament, Black Rod goes before her. When he arrives at the Commons, members of parliament shut the doors in his face, to symbolize lawmakers’ independence from the monarchy. He then knocks three times before MPs let him in.

I can't believe they still perform this ridiculous ritual every time.

3 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

I can't believe they still perform this ridiculous ritual every time.

we could modify the whole tradition slightly so that the MP who is "Kidnapped" isn't returned from the palace and instead is fed to the Corgi's ... public gets to vote on the chosen MP

• Like 2

Here's a BBC page containing the released correspondences between Foster and the Scottish parliament to which she had no memory.  The lying cow (but we knew that already).

Exchanges from 2015 between Marco Biagi, then Minister for Local Government and Community Empowerment, and members of the Northern Ireland Assembly.

The attached files consist of:

• letter from Simon Hamilton to Marco Biagi: 3 March 2015
  • response from Marco Biagi: 22 May 2015
  • letter from Arlene Foster to Marco Biagi: 4 September 2015
  • response from Marcio Biagi: 24 November 2015

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

I got a reply: 

IMG_20170621_122210.jpg

FB friends who have emailed their Tory MPs tell me they had the exact same letter, word for word. 

Template written by Tory central office, then. 

• Like 2

You'll almost never get anything but a template response from an MP, regardless of party, which is understandable considering any individual MP is likely to get loads of letters about the same thing. You'd think they'd at least have their own bloody response instead of their party's HQ issuing it though....How's that for local representation?

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

anyone that thinks the Abbot thing is about race probably needs to have a word with themselves , people already have enough reasons to dislike her without having to worry about her skin colour 

Abbott isn't perfect, I'm not a fan, but it is strange how others get less stick for errors. Abbott becomes the butt of jokes, Farron, Boris, Hammond and others who have made monumental cock ups are not dragged up constantly. If it isn't race, it is misogyny.

• Like 3

Just now, DK82 said:

Abbott isn't perfect, I'm not a fan, but it is strange how others get less stick for errors. Abbott becomes the butt of jokes, Farron, Boris, Hammond and others who have made monumental cock ups are not dragged up constantly. If it isn't race, it is misogyny.

As someone that's been a NALGO and Unison Equal Opportunities Union Rep I'll let you in to a secret. Not everyone that thinks she's a liability is a woman hater or a racist.

I'm sure plenty are. Too many. But not all.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

Just watched Corbyns speech in the house of commons. He had the Tories foaming at their mouths like rabid dogs as he ripped their failed austerity policies to pieces. Love it.

Not seen it yet but catching up on the days news now I'm struck by his line of attack regarding "this is a government without a majority and without a mandate "

what would that make the election "winner " who got 60 seats less who desperately seeks power ?

If the tories lost a vote of confidence tomorrow and Corbyn became PM , would you be happy in all seriousness ? He'd be more of a lame duck than May wouldn't he ? 

13 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

As someone that's been a NALGO and Unison Equal Opportunities Union Rep I'll let you in to a secret. Not everyone that thinks she's a liability is a woman hater or a racist.

I'm sure plenty are. Too many. But not all.

Correct. But I didn't say everybody did think that.

Crap secret, I want another one.

2 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

Not seen it yet but catching up on the days news now I'm struck by his line of attack regarding "this is a government without a majority and without a mandate "

what would that make the election "winner " who got 60 seats less who desperately seeks power ?

If the tories lost a vote of confidence tomorrow and Corbyn became PM , would you be happy in all seriousness ? He'd be more of a lame duck than May wouldn't he ? 

He isn't aiming shots to get into power. Another election suits Labour and Corbyn, as opposition, is trying to weaken May's grasp. I know we are prepared for another campaign when it comes.

Â