17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

On 09/03/2018 at 19:38, TRO said:

Interesting post.....the bit about firing you lot up with the adverse Mendez talk is right.....i can't believe we have been stupid enough to fall for that.....what on earth was we thinking about getting involved in that ****...... we have just lost the terrace battle.

I agree with you about Hutton and he will be a big loss imo in regards to presence and passion.

However if villa fans can divorce themselves from negatives and get behind their own team anything can happen.

I feel the need to comment on this TRO. I think the Mendez/FFP/Wolves/Villa thing actually helped us today. Every time one of the higher-profile Mendez players got the ball, the jeers and boos from the Villa fans could be heard, it added to our anger towards them and kept the intimidating atmosphere going.

Obviously, had we lost the story would be different, but it could be said that Wyness getting involved was a Mourinho-style mindgame to take the derby focus away from our players, while also making Wolves think that they no longer needed to bother with a team talk.

• Like 1

They have a nice easy game at home to reading midweek, perfect game for them, to bounce back. I don’t expect them to drop out but what a statement that was today. We absolutely humiliated them, 

the poor sods just got totally outplayed. Cardiff have some tough games coming up but Fulham are the real concern. 

• Like 1

Great win, but Wolves will still finish above us. They play five of the bottom six teams in their last ten games. In the last 42 games between them, they have 3 wins. All 3 wins against teams in the bottom 5. 

47 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I feel the need to comment on this TRO. I think the Mendez/FFP/Wolves/Villa thing actually helped us today. Every time one of the higher-profile Mendez players got the ball, the jeers and boos from the Villa fans could be heard, it added to our anger towards them and kept the intimidating atmosphere going.

Obviously, had we lost the story would be different, but it could be said that Wyness getting involved was a Mourinho-style mindgame to take the derby focus away from our players, while also making Wolves think that they no longer needed to bother with a team talk.

50 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I didn't hear those grumblings and i was at the game......No, I think we done our talking on the pitch.....and that was precisely my point and precisely the right thing to do.

I thought the atmosphere was terrific, but i thought they just got behind the team.

We sent the right message out by the way we played, let the league deal with the rules.

11 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Great win, but Wolves will still finish above us. They play five of the bottom six teams in their last ten games. In the last 42 games between them, they have 3 wins. All 3 wins against teams in the bottom 5. 

Alright buzzkill. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Best scenario is wolves beating Cardiff, and we beat Cardiff I feel.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, villa82 said:

Yarp, but wolves last 5 are D D L W L - they appear to be bottling it, and them at the bottom need wins to stay up - yer never know. 

11 minutes ago, villa82 said:

They play 6 teams involved in a relaation battle, 2 teams in the play offs and Cardiff. They all have something to play for don't think any games from now on in will be easy  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

60 league goals for the second time in 29 years.

Its east to forget but we seem to be scoring for fun now!

4 minutes ago, TRO said:

I didn't hear those grumblings and i was at the game......No, I think we done our talking on the pitch.....and that was precisely my point and precisely the right thing to do.

I thought the atmosphere was terrific, but i thought they just got behind the team.

We sent the right message out by the way we played, let the league deal with the rules.

I too was at the game. I definitely heard loud boos when some of their better Mendez players had the ball. The atmosphere was great today.

’Let the league deal with the rules’. But what if the league aren’t looking close enough and other teams have concerns? It’s got to be raised. There’s a Birmingham Mail article saying that we were offered Bonatini in the summer but couldn’t afford him, which is possibly one of the reasons we’ve raised this concern about Wolves’ funding.

4 minutes ago, Baldricks Cunning Plan said:

Congratulations on your win tonight. I thought that it was about equal (in play and obviously the scoreline) up to the 40 minute mark but from then onwards Villa were the dominant side and thoroughly deserved the win. Well played and good look for the rest of the season in chasing  Cardiff. I don't think I can bare the thought of you going past Cardiff and the side in front of them.

I've seen some stick from wolves fans towards the manager - seems a bit unfair given where he's got you. As much as I would love a major capitulation from Wolves, I do still think you'll finish top, just about. Please beat Cardiff. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Eastie said:

They are not good enough to do us any favours - they are shit .

I wasn't suggesting otherwise. I was talking about their knucklehead fans, who would have derived pleasure from 'helping' Villa promotion rivals, even though it pushed them towards the drop. 

If Wolves do blow up and don't beat Cardiff, it makes it harder for us, I think we need them to run away with first, beating Cardiff in the process. then Cardiff come to Villa Park straight afterwards, if they've just been beat by Wolves and then we beat them we are massively in with a shout for second.

• Like 1