17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

16 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I know Wolves are playing some of the bottom sides in the next ten games... but I think that’s the worst time to play bottom teams. They have everything at stake so will fight for their life.

we got Hull Bolton and Reading to come too....

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Eastie said:

Fulham are a bigger threat than Cardiff for me ,

Fulham are the better team. But we are four points behind Cardiff, to beat them we need to win a lot of games, and Cardiff must drop points. To beat Fulham we "only" have to win our own games.

Good form for Cardiff, 2 points pr game, and they end on 93 points. Thats 6 wins, draw 2 and lose 2. They have  5 "difficult" games left, including Brentford away. This can be done for Cardiff. 

To beat 93 points Fulham have to win the rest of their games. One draw and they finish on 93 points. Can be done, but what a run they would need.

for us to finish on 93 points we need 24 points. 8 wins or 7 wins and draw 3. I guess we ends around 91 points, 6 wins, lose one and draw 3. If so Fulham will still struggle to beat us, but Cardiff are the bigger threat.

• Like 1

If Wolves somehow failed to win this week, while we win our game. Things will look interesting.

If somehow the gap is less than 3 points.,Then the Cardiff-Wolves game could go either way.

Assuming that, we could improve our GD with Wolves and we would need to have the better results in 3 games. So that would mean making up the 4 GD isnt the issue.

But have Fulham played Cardiff? Or not yet?

Edited by abdulaziz1

Cardiff just keep getting results. It's frustrating. It's getting really tough now. 4 points isn't much to make up but it looks more and more every time they win.

If they don't have a bad run of games, we're probably looking at a cutthroat promotion playoff against Fulham.

It's getting pretty tense.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

Cardiff just keep getting results. It's frustrating. It's getting really tough now. 4 points isn't much to make up but it looks more and more every time they win.

If they don't have a bad run of games, we're probably looking at a cutthroat promotion playoff against Fulham.

They have their tough games coming up. A lot of their fans are worried as they think they are just scraping through against the weaker teams.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

3 of those points will come when we beat them :D - then only one to catch up as we've already overhauled the goal difference. 

At some point one of us, Cardiff and Fulham will crack. Hopefully not us and we seem to be peaking at the right time. 

• Like 1

We have a better goal difference than Cardiff and Fulham which helps. We have a few easier fixtures coming up where we should look to add to that. 

I really dont see Brentford getting anything out of Cardiff. Nor Derby. Wolves-Cardiff drawing and us beating Cardiff will make it really interesting. Especially if Wolves slip up to Boro. 

Watching the game now. 

Never thought I'd watch a re-run of a Championship game :D

Shame I missed the game live as it seems like it was a humdinger , but I was working a 12 h shift at the restaurant.

Once again we are very much doing our part, just got to hope that one of the teams above us slips up more than we do in the run in.

Really like to avoid the lottery of the play off.

49 minutes ago, KSV said:

We have a better goal difference than Cardiff and Fulham which helps. We have a few easier fixtures coming up where we should look to add to that. 

I really dont see Brentford getting anything out of Cardiff. Nor Derby. Wolves-Cardiff drawing and us beating Cardiff will make it really interesting. Especially if Wolves slip up to Boro. 

Certainly Cardiff are more likely to win, but if they're going to slip up away at Brentford is one of the more likely games for it to happen. They're good at home and looked very unlucky in defeat at Millwall yesterday. 

1 hour ago, ThunderPower_14 said:

But look at the sidesthey are playing. Just about beat Barnsley and the blosers at home. The6 have some tough games coming up.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Eastie said:

Yes but after 3 games we had 1 point they had 9 - so over the last 33 games we are above them by one point still .

Cardiff actually won their first five games so they pretty much had a 10 point head start over us from the start of September.

That's the main problem with giving teams a bit lead, you catch them up and then they start winning again and just extend the lead. We'll probably find that with trying to catch Wolves. As I said to a guy on the train on the way back from the game it's hard enough trying to get above Cardiff, never mind trying to catch Wolves.

3 hours ago, alreadyexists said:

I know Wolves are playing some of the bottom sides in the next ten games... but I think that’s the worst time to play bottom teams. They have everything at stake so will fight for their life.

Same applies to us...Hull and Bolton away in next few weeks.

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Empty stadium at Cardiff, pathetic.

They lost 10k fans from the moment they changed to red shirts for that one season apparently and maybe of them won't come back until Vincent Tan sells up regardless of how well they do on the pitch.

1 hour ago, KSV said:

Brentford been great at home in last two months. I can easily see Cardiff with injuries only drawing that.

9 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

As I said to a guy on the train on the way back from the game it's hard enough trying to get above Cardiff, never mind trying to catch Wolves.

Its all the same thing though.  We may find that in trying to overtake Cardiff we actually catch Wolves first, unlikely, but possible.

All we can do is win as many games as possible!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, villa82 said:

Fulham are the better team. But we are four points behind Cardiff, to beat them we need to win a lot of games, and Cardiff must drop points. To beat Fulham we "only" have to win our own games.

Good form for Cardiff, 2 points pr game, and they end on 93 points. Thats 6 wins, draw 2 and lose 2. They have  5 "difficult" games left, including Brentford away. This can be done for Cardiff. 

To beat 93 points Fulham have to win the rest of their games. One draw and they finish on 93 points. Can be done, but what a run they would need.

for us to finish on 93 points we need 24 points. 8 wins or 7 wins and draw 3. I guess we ends around 91 points, 6 wins, lose one and draw 3. If so Fulham will still struggle to beat us, but Cardiff are the bigger threat.

I agree.  We need to win our own.  Beyond that, I really don’t care about anyone but Cardiff, or the mental state of those Cardiff will play.  I want all their opponents either buzzing with confidence or fighting for their lives.  If we take care of our own business Cardiff is the only obstacle to promotion.  

4 hours ago, villa82 said:

Cardiff have a far worse run in than Fulham - I’d fancy brentford wolves and villa to all beat Cardiff .

Could see villa and Fulham going unbeaten in the last 10 games of the season - I simply cannot see Cardiff doing so. 

Therfore for me fulham are the bigger worry to me - but each to their own .