17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Just now, omariqy said:

Good results all round for us. Monday is massive. Lose and we are back to where we were before today in terms of the mood and outlook. Win and we are looking at playoffs with an outside chance of 2nd. It's the business end now so every result has a massive impact on how everyone associated with the club feels.

What a difference a day makes!

Aside from the obvious reasons of wanting us to win on Monday, part of me wants it so that we can avoid the upheaval and gamble of getting a new manager mid-season and risk having that bedding in period that we always seem to need at Villa. It’s rare that we get a new manager and have that mystical new manager bounce that other teams seem to get. Strangely, the only manager in the last ten years that I can remember giving us that bounce, is the only manager we’ve had that isn’t a real manager: Sherwood.

4 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

Aside from the obvious reasons of wanting us to win on Monday, part of me wants it so that we can avoid the upheaval and gamble of getting a new manager mid-season and risk having that bedding in period that we always seem to need at Villa. It’s rare that we get a new manager and have that mystical new manager bounce that other teams seem to get. Strangely, the only manager in the last ten years that I can remember giving us that bounce, is the only manager we’ve had that isn’t a real manager: Sherwood.

Tbf we had good early run with Bruce. Albeit it was dire football. 

3 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

Nothing is pissing me off more than seeing derby sat where we should be. We were in a great place to capitalise and instead it's them there and us sniffing round the arse of the playoffs. 

Derby have earned their spot. We screwed up.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I don’t know, we picked up 15 points from the first 7 games Bruce was in charge.

We lost the first 2 games Sherwood was in charge, then won 2 of his next 5 games, 7 points from 7 games. I know there were a couple of cup wins there and after that some good wins against the likes of Spurs & Everton, but I think the bounce Sherwood brought is massively overstated.

Back on topic, a win against Bristol City and suddenly January looks very promising. Forest, Barnsley and Sheff United, before playing Burton & small heath in the start of feb.

Edited by Shropshire Lad

9 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Derby have earned their spot. We screwed up.

Yep but they have been very fortunate with injuries also.Once the injuries kick in be interesting to see how they cope as we haven't, Cardiff haven't either have Sheffield united.

I reckon if we could win the next three games we would be right back there in contention for 2nd place. It’s a big “IF” but before today my calculation was we needed to win 4 in a row with Mbro as the hardest one. Well we won that, so why not?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, JamesBCFC said:

I think that, as long as we are top 4 this time next month, we have done enough to say we will probably finish top 6.

Tonight is just the start of a horrible run of games and the League Cup will have an effect too. Game coming up in the next 3 weeks include you guys at VP, Watford away, Man City x2 and Derby away

We desperately need some players, none expected back for a month though and 2 playing tonight went off injured against Reading.

That's the double whammy that caused our bad run. Another bad result and suddenly hings don't look too rosy.

It's a slog of a league and all teams will suffer at some point

January Fixtures for the top 9

Wolves: Brentford, Swansea (FAC), Barnsley [a], Forest, Ipswich [a]
Derby: Sheff Utd, Man Utd [a] (FAC), SHA [a], Bristol City, Millwall [a]
Bristol City: Aston Villa [a], Watford [a] (FAC), Man City [a] (LC), Norwich, Derby [a], Man City (LC), QPR
Cardiff: QPR [a], Mansfield (FAC), Sunderland, Sheff Weds [a], Bolton
Leeds: Forest, Newport C [a] (FAC), Ipswich [a], Millwall, Hull [a]
Sheff Utd: Derby [a], Ipswich [a] (FAC), Sheff Weds, Norwich [a], Aston Villa
Aston Villa: Bristol City, Peterboro (FAC), Forest [a], Barnsley, Sheff Utd [a]
Preston NE: Middlesbrough, Wycombe W [a] (FAC), Millwall [a], SHA, Forest [a]
Middlesbrough: Preston [a], Sunderland (FAC), Fulham, QPR [a], Sheff Weds

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

In February and March we have Burton, SHA, QPR at home and away games to Sunderland, Bolton and Hull.

Bar Millwall we're generally good at putting away the bottom half teams.

That's our opportunity there to put some pressure on whoever is second.

And all things going well with terry back and potentially a new striker option. 

Would be disappointed with a draw at Forest, they are in really poor form atm. Lost to Sunderland at home today.

8 points minimum for me, 10 would be great and would have us comfortably back in the top 6.

Sheffield United will probably be cancelled in any case as it's on FA cup fourth round weekend.

That would mean we'd have three home games in a row against Barnsley, Burton and SHA.

• Like 1

Well ****.

When I went out it was 0-0.

As I left wifi range it was 1-0

Get home to see we lost.

Can't comment on the game other than the Wolves red being very soft. And Fielding being out isn't as big a blow as you may think. Steele was brought in as competition for the #1 shirt, and while he has looked shaky at times he has also had absolute blinders.

There's a possibility Fielding won't be straight back in the team after his suspension is served.