17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

40 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

The problem we have is that nobody believes Bruce is capable of achieving a positive result today. Especially with it being Pulis’ first game for Boro. 

I fully understand the lack of faith in Bruce, though promotion from this league is not easy by any stretch.

I'm not convinced Pulis will be such a success. His time with us, admittedly a while ago, was utterly dire. For the last decade or so he has been tasked with losing as little as possible with limited teams, at Boro his remit will be the opposite.

• Like 2

GOING UP!!!!

Well maybe not. But If Wolves do the business later we'll be ending the year 7 points off 2nd. Can't remember how we started December but it was at best 4 points off 2nd. Given the tough fixtures, our injuries and the dent in confidence this period has had - with terry back and a striker signed - well, I reckon we can get beck to 2 points per game and creep up the league again. 

Keep the faith lads! Whatever people say we have been hampered by injuries. Up front we have had a 19 year old leading the line with another 19 year old in behind him. 

The striker situation is a little bit our own making with the signings however January should give us an opportunity to rectify that.

Positivity breeds positivity so don't give Up!!

Up the Villa!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Eastie said:

wasnt pretty but the result is the main thing today 

It never is. Also the reason that we are underachieving is that there's no focus or action by the enormous coaching team to try to correct the quality of the performances. Here's a theory, if we play better football that involves passing and isn't an assault on the eyes we will get good results on a much more regular basis. It's a concept lost on people at Villa. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

With twenty odd games left too play, 7 points is not a great deal... it is possible for automatic promotion. My head says it’s possible but my heart just won’t beleive it!

Nice run of games coming up and all the top teams still to cone to villa park - certainly possible but need consistency and good signings in January - far more achieveable if we had a better manager though ;)

‘I think Cardiff and Bristol city will slip away but derby will be tough to catch 

Edited by Eastie

24 minutes ago, Jareth said:

GOING UP!!!!

Well maybe not. But If Wolves do the business later we'll be ending the year 7 points off 2nd. Can't remember how we started December but it was at best 4 points off 2nd. Given the tough fixtures, our injuries and the dent in confidence this period has had - with terry back and a striker signed - well, I reckon we can get beck to 2 points per game and creep up the league again. 

7 pts off second was the position we were in 4 months ago. 

We haven't been able to close the gap at all. Will take a big turn around or others falling away for us to do it. 

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Need to follow this up now with a win on Monday and kick on from there .

wasnt pretty but the result is the main thing today 

This was said when we were winning ugly last season. 

We will always pick up wins with this squad, the performances indicate how consistent it can be. And so far under bruce it has not been consistent enough. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

We haven't been able to close the gap at all. Will take a big turn around or others falling away for us to do it. 

Others are falling away but so have we allowing derby to steal a run  on us and they are far bigger threat than Bristol or Cardiff were 

Edited by Eastie

Yaayy ! If we can match the Form of Derby (2nd) in their first 25 games and they match the Form of Norwich (13th) in their first 25 games we can finish 2nd !

As long as of course Bristol and Cardiff (3rd and 4th) only match the Form of Fulham (12th).

So we need 3 Teams Form to fall apart and ours to dramatically improve.

Id be staggered if anyone with a grasp of Maths has any serious hope of Second Place !!

• Thanks 1

Out of the top 10 teams, 8 of them have to come to Villa Park. The only one who hasn’t is Sheff Utd... and ourselves. Hah! 

Thats a bit strange isn’t it? How many of those away games against the top 10 have we won? Only two I think?? 

People who think 7 points isn't much are almost certainly heading for a huge disappoinment. It is. It requires 3 sides to pretty much lose 3 on the spin while we Win 3 on the Spin AND that we then match those 3 sides for the rest of the season.

None of which is likely.  Possible, of course, but not likely.

In my view this result changes nothing, before it we had a fair chance of a Play Off place, and after it we have a fair chance of a Play Off place.

24 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Err.....the only reason we are still 7 points behind is the fact we have dropped 12 points in a horrible last 5 games!

All the other teams are dropping points too!