17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Anyone brave enough to think we won't make top 6 this season then? One for the road or any of the doom mongers.

9 wins in 12, on course for 82 points aswell atm.

Playoffs aren't the target  

Promotion is  

I think we will be a playoff team and maybe come close to that automatic spot. 

We have done exceptionally well to win those 3 games. If we can get to January without too much damage then maybe we can be in the mix come May.

Sheffield United will fall away but Derby and Leeds will come good I think so let's see what happens. Very happy with the last 7 days though. 

On 16/10/2017 at 13:40, Shropshire Lad said:

As I’ve had a spare moment, looking at the fixtures up to the season’s halfway mark I reckon we’ll reach around the 40 points total (I’ve tried to be realistic, with an undercurrent of optimism).

Fulham (h) Blues (a) Preston (a)

I think about five points from these three.

Wednesday (h) QPR (a) Sunderland (h) Ipswich (h)

Probably the most optimistic section of my predictions, I reckon maybe ten points here.

Leeds (a) Milwall (h) Derby (a) Sheff Utd (h)

Maybe seven points from these four taking us to the halfway mark.

That would get us to 41 points, 1.78 points per game. Just for reference purposes, Newcastle were on 49 points at the halfway point last season.

Shamelessly quoting myself. 

At this stage I thought we could achieve 15 points, happily we’ve managed 16.

I’d have been happy with us reaching 41 points by Christmas, but now I think we’re capable of getting a couple more on top of that. If we manage that and get positive results against the likes of Leeds and Sheff Utd as well, I’ll be confident that a top two finish is ours for the taking.

Provided we’ve now reached our injury quota for the season.

It is looking really good at the moment. I can't see us catching nine points on Wolves but we have to fancy ourselves to make a run at second.

We are 6 points clear of 7th now so even though our great run hasn't put the top spot closer to us it has given us a nice gap over those outside the top 6.

19 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Really not liking the smugness of Wolves fans. I hope we overtake them, but 9 points seems too big of a task. We have like 6 months to chip away at it so you neverk now.

I’d settle for us finishing second behind them, but beating them at VP. Let them have their party but remind them that we’ll always be the  main club round here.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 2

19 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

I’d settle for us finishing second behind them, but beating them at VP. Let them have their party but remind them that we’ll always be the  main club round here.

Upper Trinity will surely be open for that one, we will get a 40k crowd for the Wolves game.

Infact I'd be amazed if we don't open it for all the games past xmas. Anyone know if we're going to be selling half season tickets up there?

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

Really not liking the smugness of Wolves fans. I hope we overtake them, but 9 points seems too big of a task. We have like 6 months to chip away at it so you neverk now.

Would love it to happen but it just ain't going to. They are a cut above and are sweeping teams away. 

We will need to win over and over again and see them stutter quite badly. It's more likely that we will drop points than them. It's very unfortunate but there we are. 

Maybe if they got a few injuries... 

Edited by sidcow

59 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Upper Trinity will surely be open for that one, we will get a 40k crowd for the Wolves game.

Infact I'd be amazed if we don't open it for all the games past xmas. Anyone know if we're going to be selling half season tickets up there?

I would be suprised if we do considering teams on fire and we are still only getting 30k for games like today. Why the fans are staying away is a major mystery to me

3 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I would be suprised if we do considering teams on fire and we are still only getting 30k for games like today. Why the fans are staying away is a major mystery to me

Seemed quite full today except that Ipswich only filled half their allocation.