17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

13 minutes ago, London Villa said:

I'm not sure whether the last five years were so beyond miserable that I'm blinkered, but I love it in this division.

Games  come thick and fast, anyone can beat anyone and it's a rollercoaster.

I'd much rather this than knowing we're going to finish somewhere between 8th and 14th in the sh*t, sanitised borefest that is the Premier League.

Obviously we have to go up this year due to the parachute money drying up but I can honestly say if we do, i will miss this league

100% agree. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Doubt you'd enjoy it as much if/when our top players leave because of our failure to be promoted and the rest of our days are spent knowing we could finish anywhere between 6 and 20th every year.

That's why I pointed out that I realise we have to go up this year.

• Like 1

As things stand, our destiny (for automatic promotion) is almost in our own hands. We just need Cardiff to slip up once, and then it’s down to us. Obviously it assumes we win our games against Cardiff and Sheff Utd, but otherwise we would just have to match the points tally of everyone around us, no need to “better them” or “play catch-up”.

I think if a couple of months ago someone told me we would be in this position, I never would have believed it.

That being said, this next set of games is going to be crucial. But to be honest, unless we get into 2nd place 10 points clear of the playoffs, I’m pretty sure every “set of games” is going to be crucial.

We just need to keep doing what we are doing - being solid, getting results, and bouncing back from defeats quickly.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, GeordieVillan said:

As things stand, our destiny (for automatic promotion) is almost in our own hands. We just need Cardiff to slip up once, and then it’s down to us. Obviously it assumes we win our games against Cardiff and Sheff Utd, but otherwise we would just have to match the points tally of everyone around us, no need to “better them” or “play catch-up”.

I think if a couple of months ago someone told me we would be in this position, I never would have believed it.

That being said, this next set of games is going to be crucial. But to be honest, unless we get into 2nd place 10 points clear of the playoffs, I’m pretty sure every “set of games” is going to be crucial.

We just need to keep doing what we are doing - being solid, getting results, and bouncing back from defeats quickly.

I think every game since hysteria-gate has been crucial.

However, this was what was needed and expected.

We ain't punching above our weight, we currently are where we should be anyway, it's the here on in that is now crucial and consistency is very much key now.

The bar is now set and from now until April we should not go anywhere below 6th in this league.

I never even noticed due to being in the prem my whole life... But how unreported is the football league? The Prem is all encompassing. If you go to 'football' on the BBC page, the first 8 articles are about the prem, 9+10 champions league, 11th the Spanish league and then 12th maybe 'Wolves increase lead at top'. But this is the bbc... Surely they shod balance the footy reporting more? After all the prem is a sky invention, so it makes sense for them to plug it... But everyone else? I know the 'Big Teams' are in the prem but aside from about 6 the rest are just also-rans, and the the fans of the 'big' championship teams must surely outway the lower rungs of the Prem? 

17 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I never even noticed due to being in the prem my whole life... But how unreported is the football league? The Prem is all encompassing. If you go to 'football' on the BBC page, the first 8 articles are about the prem, 9+10 champions league, 11th the Spanish league and then 12th maybe 'Wolves increase lead at top'. But this is the bbc... Surely they shod balance the footy reporting more? After all the prem is a sky invention, so it makes sense for them to plug it... But everyone else? I know the 'Big Teams' are in the prem but aside from about 6 the rest are just also-rans, and the the fans of the 'big' championship teams must surely outway the lower rungs of the Prem? 

Its been like this for years now not really a suprise

14 hours ago, omariqy said:

I don't think we should underestimate Leeds. The same game last season ruined our good run and was pretty significant in turning things the wrong way for us.

Definitely not. Correct me if I'm wrong but our record at Elland Road in the last 15 -20 years is woeful .

16 hours ago, London Villa said:

I'm not sure whether the last five years were so beyond miserable that I'm blinkered, but I love it in this division.

Games  come thick and fast, anyone can beat anyone and it's a rollercoaster.

I'd much rather this than knowing we're going to finish somewhere between 8th and 14th in the sh*t, sanitised borefest that is the Premier League.

Obviously we have to go up this year due to the parachute money drying up but I can honestly say if we do, i will miss this league

I hate this Division. I want to be able to see my team play. It feels very detached down here, and beating little clubs who do not have a pot to piss in does not float my boat.

As a young Aston Villa supporter I struggled to get any information about my club. Short highlights on a Saturday night, article about the match in the Sunday papers. That was it. I did not think those days would return, but they have. I don't like it. 

• Like 3

I see people writing things like we would only be 1 point behind Wolves if you take away the first 3 games etc.

I hate to be the one that brings in the reality check, but I'm still not convinced.. reason being - we have a poor record against the better teams in this division.

We have been picking up good points I agree, but if you look at it another way, we've been beating teams in the lower half of the table and come undone against the better teams.

We have won 10 games, but only 1 of those has come against teams in the top 10 of the table - Forest (9th), and in all of our wins we have really only bossed 2 games - Burton (23rd) and QPR (16th).

Our record against teams in the top 10 - we have lost 2 and drawn 3 with 5 still yet to play. So you could say the fixture list has been kind thus far.

Our next 6 games has 4 teams in the top 10 so we really need to start giving the better teams a proper game, starting with Leeds!

We will have a truer reflection of where we really are at the end of December.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, Junxs said:

I see people writing things like we would only be 1 point behind Wolves if you take away the first 3 games etc.

I hate to be the one that brings in the reality check, but I'm still not convinced.. reason being - we have a poor record against the better teams in this division.

We have been picking up good points I agree, but if you look at it another way, we've been beating teams in the lower half of the table and come undone against the better teams.

We have won 10 games, but only 1 of those has come against teams in the top 10 of the table - Forest (9th), and in all of our wins we have really only bossed 2 games - Burton (23rd) and QPR (16th).

Our record against teams in the top 10 - we have lost 2 and drawn 3 with 5 still yet to play. So you could say the fixture list has been kind thus far.

Our next 6 games has 4 teams in the top 10 so we really need to start giving the better teams a proper game, starting with Leeds!

We will have a truer reflection of where we really are at the end of December.

Ipswich are top 10.  Cant remember if Preston or Fulham were at the time but they are top 10 material too.

25 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Ipswich are top 10.  Cant remember if Preston or Fulham were at the time but they are top 10 material too.

Ah yes, so they are.. just. Level on points with Sheffield Wednesday and Fulham, ahead of them on goal difference.

My argument still stands though, lets just say top 9 then :P

In all seriousness BOF (I think) constructed a table of results of results against top 10 sides.

Made for interesting reading.

I cant find it though, if anyone can post an updated one it would be good to see

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

In all seriousness BOF (I think) constructed a table of results of results against top 10 sides.

Made for interesting reading.

I cant find it though, if anyone can post an updated one it would be good to see

After the weekend's results.  Where Cardiff went and won yet another one.  They've now played all of the (other) top 10 once.  Ipswich, it's fair to say, have work to do :) 

74472e290858ecafb168d29fed62f64f.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, BOF said:

After the weekend's results.  Where Cardiff went and won yet another one.  They've now played all of the (other) top 10 once.  Ipswich, it's fair to say, have work to do :) 

74472e290858ecafb168d29fed62f64f.png

Really good form from Cardiff so far to be fair to them. Looks like we need a few of the lower teams to shut up shop against them.

2 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

Ironically, I never thought a day would come that I would have as little interest in the Premier League as I do now, since we dropped down.

Shows that "Big Club" supporters do matter.

I literally only see Prem news on the way into BBC website to Click "Leagues and Cups: Championship: Aston Villa" or EFL matchday.

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If we can take points from our remaining fixtures from teams classed as top 10 then we will be certainly on course.

...or we need a few of the teams that we have beaten to get into the top 10; Easier that way!

• Haha 1