17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

8 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Great cardoff getting a very impressive win. Another side who have got very lucky with injuries 

I'm not overly concerned.  The likelihood is if they lost today and we went 2nd Friday night we wouldn't stay there too long anyway, not saying we won't finish there. We will move up and down between 2nd and 6th but no lower I'd hope. Wolves i reckon are the only time who might stay in the position they are in for a while.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Our start might really come back to bit us in the ass.

Welp, guess it's Sheff United we should be aiming for first anyway.

We are going to have to fight with everything to climb into that automatic spot.

If Cardiff don' have a similar stutter at all this season they will deserve to finish 2nd. 

It won' be the first few games that decide anything in this league.

• Like 1

Looking like Derby and Cardiff are the main ones to watch in our battle for second. 

Derby will more than likely leapfrog us before Fridays game. 

Sheff Utd seem to be stuttering. I have a Blues supporting mate, I know, shame on me. He reckons Sheff Utd are pretty poor, and will fall away. Also, if you look at goal machine Leon Clarke’s career record, he is in the purplest of purple patches. 

We need to focus on winning our games and hopefully the rest should take care of itself. We will drop points and lose games, but that shouldn’t be the end of the world. 

3 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

Looking like Derby and Cardiff are the main ones to watch in our battle for second. 

Derby will more than likely leapfrog us before Fridays game. 

Sheff Utd seem to be stuttering. I have a Blues supporting mate, I know, shame on me. He reckons Sheff Utd are pretty poor, and will fall away. Also, if you look at goal machine Leon Clarke’s career record, he is in the purplest of purple patches. 

We need to focus on winning our games and hopefully the rest should take care of itself. We will drop points and lose games, but that shouldn’t be the end of the world. 

Try explaining that in the Steve Bruce thread.  :crylaugh:

Every team will drop points, it happens. Even Wolves. We have to keep on and keep believing, and it looks like the squad have that attitude right now.

It’s pretty fun winning most the time. We have a good shot at 2nd but not the end of the world if we fall short and get into the play offs. A two legged semi would be to our advantage I think, and then the final can be a bit of a lottery.

Anything can happen, Wolves could have injuries, players could lose form etc. Nothing is decided yet. 

Theres a group of like 15 teams who could all be in the playoffs in 3 or 4 games if results go the right way. 

Anyone can have a run of bad form (speaking as a leeds fan i know all about that)  :angry:

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Great cardoff getting a very impressive win. Another side who have got very lucky with injuries 

They've been without their best striker - one that was linked with a PL move in the Summer - for the last 7 matches. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VillaChris said:

I have read your recent posts.

This one months ago sorry on Monday.

So predicting we will be withing touching distance of the play offs after the xmas games. Wouldn't you say that was a bit of a negative prediction before two winnable home games. We are now 6 points clear of 7th.

November 7th

Saying we'd tumble down the table when Terry got injured....even though we kept many clean sheets at this level last season when he wasn't even here.

Another post on November 7th. Again not in August where most of us were doom and gloom because we were awful start of the season but three months on when we'd just had a very good run, a post less than three weeks ago.

That's where I got your name from. It just sticks in my mind like all the posts from WoodyTom last season (in fairness he had a point at the time, did he get banned?)

You seem to think we have already got promoted. All this "told you so" nonsense is not only pathetic but INCREDIBLY premature.

I maintain that we will not get automatically promoted but I do not see how that is anything other than realistic as opposed to being neagtive.

I think we may get top 6, which is a shift from earlier prediction of 7th or 8th. 

3 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

You seem to think we have already got promoted. All this "told you so" nonsense is not only pathetic but INCREDIBLY premature.

I maintain that we will not get automatically promoted but I do not see how that is anything other than realistic as opposed to being neagtive.

I think we may get top 6, which is a shift from earlier prediction of 7th or 8th. 

Where have I said we're getting automatic promoted? All I said is we're currently on course for 80 + points (given you were quoting the points per games ratios for Terry and Kodjia so imagine you're aware of that) so last time I looked that's comfortably a play off spot.

Do we not have the look of a top 6 team to you? Surely going to a tricky team like Preston and getting a comfortable 2-0 win is the sort of thing the likes of Newcastle and Brighton were doing last season? We very rarely lose at home aswell.

It's no more dramatic than say things are going to collapse as soon as Terry got injured or Kodjia even though he's only played 5 games this season.

Still guess we'll see who's right in the next 5 months. Just surprised people don't think we're in the best shape for years. We're tough to beat, can score goals and majority of squad actually want to play for us so welcome change.

9 minutes ago, One For The Road said:

It’s a bit daft being certain either way at this point

26 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Where have I said we're getting automatic promoted? All I said is we're currently on course for 80 + points (given you were quoting the points per games ratios for Terry and Kodjia so imagine you're aware of that) so last time I looked that's comfortably a play off spot.

Do we not have the look of a top 6 team to you? Surely going to a tricky team like Preston and getting a comfortable 2-0 win is the sort of thing the likes of Newcastle and Brighton were doing last season? We very rarely lose at home aswell.

It's no more dramatic than say things are going to collapse as soon as Terry got injured or Kodjia even though he's only played 5 games this season.

Still guess we'll see who's right in the next 5 months. Just surprised people don't think we're in the best shape for years. We're tough to beat, can score goals and majority of squad actually want to play for us so welcome change.

So I say "I think we may get top 6" and your reply is, "do we not have the look of a top 6 team to you?"

Hmmmm. Agenda much?

I'm not sure whether the last five years were so beyond miserable that I'm blinkered, but I love it in this division.

Games  come thick and fast, anyone can beat anyone and it's a rollercoaster.

I'd much rather this than knowing we're going to finish somewhere between 8th and 14th in the sh*t, sanitised borefest that is the Premier League.

Obviously we have to go up this year due to the parachute money drying up but I can honestly say if we do, i will miss this league

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, London Villa said:

I'm not sure whether the last five years were so beyond miserable that I'm blinkered, but I love it in this division.

I'd much rather this than knowing we're going to finish somewhere between 8th and 14th in the sh*t, sanitised borefest that is the Premier League.

Obviously we have to go up this year due to the parachute money drying up but I can honestly say if we do, i will miss this league

In my opinion, the quality of play is much better in the Premier League. Personally, I won't miss The Championship if we go up but if we don't go up, I will still have a season ticket

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, London Villa said:

Doubt you'd enjoy it as much if/when our top players leave because of our failure to be promoted and the rest of our days are spent knowing we could finish anywhere between 6 and 20th every year.

I'd rather be a mediocre Premier League team than a "Very good " championship team knowing "this year could be our year" like Derby, Fulham etc.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3