17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

18 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Time to forget wolves, were 5 points off where we need to be, get through dec, get terry back, sign a striker and push through till season end and promotion glory. 

Starting to think this, lets get to 2nd and then  see if we can catch them. 1st or 2nd i am not bothered as long as we go up. I think if we go up financially we will be in such a great position. Funny enough I think we will be better equipped for premier league than them due to some of our players being more experienced. 

• Like 1

Wolves would have to go on a horrendous run to be catchable , I just can't see it as they are there on merit. I do believe 2nd is within our grasp though and I don't think we've even played to our full potential yet this season except for handful of games.  All this without our top scorer. It's looking far more positive than it's done for years.

14 minutes ago, CosmicVillan said:

Wolves would have to go on a horrendous run to be catchable , I just can't see it as they are there on merit. I do believe 2nd is within our grasp though and I don't think we've even played to our full potential yet this season except for handful of games.  All this without our top scorer. It's looking far more positive than it's done for years.

Very good points, we were expected to fall apart with terry and kodjia injuries but touch wood looking good for a play off spot at a minimum. if we had a in form kodjia as well i think we would be a lot closer to wolves than we currently are 

55 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Well it's been a long time coming but they are giving us something to cheer about. We could still yet fall apart without Terry and Kodjia for the foreseeable future but I've been saying all season it's not like treading water in the Premier League, waiting for those 10 or 12 competitive fixtures to come around and snatch some points, every game means something. That in itself has taken a bit of getting used to and I wonder when the last time was where we had won as many games as we had drawn and lost put together at this stage of the season was? I suspect it was under MON though.

It would be great on Saturday to beat Ipswich moving our wins and goal difference columns in the table into double figures in the process, reach 35 points in 19 games to edge closer to that 2 point average we need to be around for a shot at second place and keep the pressure on the teams above us.

A tricky looking December awaits after that with Leeds [a], Millwall, Derby [a], Sheff United, Brentford [a] and Middlesbrough [a] before the transfer window opens and Bristol City at home on New Years Day . 6 of the current top 10 in the next 8 games before we have the distraction of the FA Cup to consider - 3 of them away - And of the other two fixtures in that run, well, we should all know by now what Brentford are capable of against us. Millwall are always going to give you a game. None of these teams currently have a negative goal difference. (although weirdly maybe, this year only 9 of the 24 teams currently do). But none of them are unbeatable by any means and whilst for me the Christmas/New Year programme there with Sheff Utd visiting Villa Park on Saturday the 23rd - the Boxing Day trip to Brentford - Middlesbrough away the following Saturday - followed by Bristol City at Home 2 days later is looking the trickiest bit on paper, if we can get to those games unbeaten and with only 4 losses in the loss column still we'll be doing really well for ourselves imo, even if we draw a few of the next 4 with the injuries we have.

Imperative that Davis and Chester in particular stay fit right now through these 8 games.

Hogan (???), RHM (???), Terry (surely not until mid Jan?), Green and Kodjia (Maybe sometime in the spring?) all hopefully to return all guns blazing at some point. McCormack (Jan) and Agbonlahor (???) to become available for selection at least with points to prove. RDL, Jedinak, Grealish and Lansbury all hopefully on their way back to full fitness. If we can avoid further injuries between then and now we could be back to near full strength by the New Year which can only be a good thing. Even if we are left waiting for good news from Green and Kodjia and hoping Terry's bone heals nicely.

Johnstone (it's just a blip without Terry right?), Onomah and Snodgrass are all getting better and contributing. Gawd only knows what/if we can do anything transfer-wise in January.

But if we can somehow grind out around 16 points or more from the next 8 and we'll be doing very well at that stage. Anywhere near 12 - 15 points from the next 24 on offer wouldn't be the end of the world. Especially if we can get them alongside only 1 or 2 losses (or obviously better still, unbeaten). I say that because of the injuries we have, the fixture congestion and the quality of the opposition. 

Tough 5 or 6 weeks basically. Time to earn your corn Mr Bruce.

Really is a season defining period for us. I think Grealish could be key in all of this. 

Well we lost at Leeds and Brentford (wonder why sky have decided to show both games again on sky tv?) if we can improve our points total at both that be great.

Ipswich we need to win this one simple as that as I dont fancy us at Leeds. then hopefully we need to be beating Millwall at home. if we can get at least 7 points from the next 3 that be great. 

If the season would end tomorrow we would have Bristol City in the play offs with second leg at Villa Park I would fancy us to have won that other two legs! 

Edited by Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Well we lost at Leeds and Brentford (wonder why sky have decided to show both games again on sky tv?) if we can improve our points total at both that be great.

Ipswich we need to win this one simple as that as I dont fancy us at Leeds. then hopefully we need to be beating Millwall at home. if we can get at least 7 points from the next 3 that be great. 

If the season would end tomorrow we would have Bristol City in the play offs with second leg at Villa Park I would fancy us to have won that other two legs! 

would you also be confident of us beating SheffU or Boro in a final 90mins plus a possible extra 30mins and/or penalties?

factoring in

SJ can now go either way - more errors or back to top form

The ageing Terry, Samba, Jedi, Whelan as starters or subs?

The inexperience of Davis (oh how our play is dependant on him)?

Thor, Hogan and Gaby as our options from the bench?

27 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

would you also be confident of us beating SheffU or Boro in a final 90mins plus a possible extra 30mins and/or penalties?

With full squad, absolutely. In fact I fancy us against Wolves if we had terry and on form kodjia. 

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Starting to think this, lets get to 2nd and then  see if we can catch them. 1st or 2nd i am not bothered as long as we go up. I think if we go up financially we will be in such a great position. Funny enough I think we will be better equipped for premier league than them due to some of our players being more experienced. 

Couldn't disagree more. They have a young progressive manager and purchasing top players across Europe, with Mendes as a contact. We have Bruce who buys his mates. They'd be more equipped by some distance more than we would. 

3 hours ago, omariqy said:

Really is a season defining period for us. I think Grealish could be key in all of this. 

Agreed. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, MikeAVFC said:

Couldn't disagree more. They have a young progressive manager and purchasing top players across Europe, with Mendes as a contact. We have Bruce who buys his mates. They'd be more equipped by some distance more than we would. 

Or Wolves sell their best players for 4 times what they paid and the agent cleans up, delivering the owners a premier league club and themself a big pay cheque. Why else have those players gone straight to the championship? Big time money making exercise for a man who knows how to make money from football. 

19 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Or Wolves sell their best players for 4 times what they paid and the agent cleans up, delivering the owners a premier league club and themself a big pay cheque. Why else have those players gone straight to the championship? Big time money making exercise for a man who knows how to make money from football. 

Or - they have a long term plan.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, Jareth said:

Smart really if you think about it. Although these players must have little ambition signing for  wolves when they could be playing at a much higher level

10 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Smart really if you think about it. Although these players must have little ambition signing for  wolves when they could be playing at a much higher level

They are quite young to be fair so probably looking at the bigger picture while getting paid big bucks already. 

• Like 1