17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

1 minute ago, Nigel said:

Really good form from Cardiff so far to be fair to them. Looks like we need a few of the lower teams to shut up shop against them.

For completion's sake, this is the updated top 10 versus 'the rest' after the weekend's fixtures.  Hopefully you're right and the rest shut up shop.  Cardiff tend to let the other team have the ball, so it'll be interesting to see if they have the wherewithal to go in as the dominant side where the opposition park their own bus.

232e9428b240e9436f85339b25cb7b63.png

3 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Really good form from Cardiff so far to be fair to them. Looks like we need a few of the lower teams to shut up shop against them.

Both them, and Sheffield United are 2 of only 3 clubs to defeat Wolves this season, so to be fair, they really do deserve their current, respective positions.

We have a hell of a fight on our hands.

1 minute ago, BOF said:

For completion's sake, this is the updated top 10 versus 'the rest' after the weekend's fixtures.  Hopefully you're right and the rest shut up shop.  Cardiff tend to let the other team have the ball, so it'll be interesting to see if they have the wherewithal to go in as the dominant side where the opposition park their own bus.

It does have to be pointed out that (like us in the other table) they havent played as many.

Just now, Nigel said:

It does have to be pointed out that (like us in the other table) they havent played as many.

True, it's the "PPG" points per game which are more pertinent, but it does show that they are not as comfortable against the lesser sides who willingly concede possession.

We are doing our part now, just gotta build on this and keep going.

We are bound to have setbacks but as long as we've learned from last season it shouldn't be anywhere as costly. Especially considering the squad is much better, especially in midfield.

ATM it's pretty similar to this point last season, but I feel much more confident we can handle it. (as in great run of form during this period and us being without Kodija and probably Jedi during the upcoming period and us relying on an in form player Kodija/Adomah to do it for us)

The one worry I still have is that some of our players might get burned out from playing too much if we don't rotate the squad a bit more.

Davis is playing his first season of senior football and a lot of our players are getting on a bit.

Bruce is experienced enough to be on top of this I expect.

Edited by sne

44 minutes ago, BOF said:

After the weekend's results.  Where Cardiff went and won yet another one.  They've now played all of the (other) top 10 once.  Ipswich, it's fair to say, have work to do :) 

74472e290858ecafb168d29fed62f64f.png

Wow, that doesn't look good. We have to hope that that will change.

Cardiff have been at home against most od their rivals 

Home to us, derby, bristol c, sheff united.

They have been away to wolves (and won impressive) boro.

With us we would have been away to

Wolves, derby, bristol city, cardiff, boro and leeds by new year.

The only side we would have had to go away to in top 6 is sheffield united. Therefore i think its harsh to say we dont compete when we have been away to near enough all the top sides first half of the season

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I think the key difference between this table and the other is the points column rather than the position. All 10 teams have taken a decent amount of points from bottom half teams as expected. 

Edit: on the other hand if we beat Derby, Sheff United and Leeds we would be 2nd in both leagues. 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think the key difference between this table and the other is the points column rather than the position. All 10 teams have taken a decent amount of points from bottom half teams as expected. 

Edit: on the other hand if we beat Derby, Sheff United and Leeds we would be 2nd in both leagues. 

If we won those three games i seriously think wolves would be a bit worried about us

• Like 1

I'm concerned about Derby.  They have Gary Rowett in charge.  They've a game in hand (home to Ipswich) and they're 3pts behind us.  They've one defeat in 11 games and have won 6 of their last 8.  They've just gone to the Riverside and dry-bummed Middlesbrough 3-0.  They've a kind fixture list coming up where we're the only tricky tie.  I think they'll be right there challenging at the end as well.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, BOF said:

I'm concerned about Derby.  They have Gary Rowett in charge.  They've a game in hand (home to Ipswich) and they're 3pts behind us.  They've one defeat in 11 games and have won 6 of their last 8.  They've just gone to the Riverside and dry-bummed Middlesbrough 3-0.  They've a kind fixture list coming up where we're the only tricky tie.  I think they'll be right there challenging at the end as well.

Agreed. They are the ones to watch. 

1 hour ago, BOF said:

Dry bummed them!!! 

I agree they are looking good. 

Just now, Vive_La_Villa said:

Dry bummed them!!! 

I agree they are looking good. 

Yep :)  I think going to the Riverside and coming away with a 3-0 qualifies as a dry-bumming :D 

• Like 1

Had (have) Wolves as clear favorites for the season and so far they're doing as expected. Shame I didn't put more money on them...

Thought Middlesbrough would have a bit more about them than they've shown so far as I had them finishing second.

After that I've no idea as don't follow other Championship clubs close enough to have a clue. If we were not in this division I would not watch a second until the big play off game at Wembley.

As for us we're doing a bit better than I dared hope, thought we'd be fighting around 6th.

So far it's looking fairly promising. Early days yet. 

33 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Its a shame Derby have such an easy game on Saturday (Burton at home) as they could have struggled against decent opposition after playing 5 games in 2 weeks.

It will take its toll on them eventually. Their squad depth wont be able to cope