17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

13 hours ago, One For The Road said:

Was it really necessary to use my name to suggest I am a "doom monger"? 

Ihaven't missed a home or away match for 3 months mate and when I'm at the games I get right behind the team. I'd say not missing a game for so long and vocally supporting the club every week is pretty ****** positive. If I choose to express my views on a forum that suggest I think we need more time to be a real promotion threat then that's my perogative and does NOT make me a doom monger of any sort.

Just because I don't think we will get promoted it doesn't mean I see only bad. Why don't you have a read of my recent posts where I have been positive about our recent performances and results? 

In fact. Don't bother.

I have read your recent posts.

This one months ago sorry on Monday.

We are definitely in the hunt for a top 6 finish after Saturday but the real test is yet to come. December is going to be very tough in light of our injury situation so if we can get through that busy period within touching distance of the play offs them we have a chance.

So predicting we will be withing touching distance of the play offs after the xmas games. Wouldn't you say that was a bit of a negative prediction before two winnable home games. We are now 6 points clear of 7th.

November 7th

So a team that got to 6th with its best player, slipping from that position without him, is not a well grounded expectation?

Saying we'd tumble down the table when Terry got injured....even though we kept many clean sheets at this level last season when he wasn't even here.

To finish in the top 2 we have to first overhaul a 7 point gap, (something we have spent the whole season trying to do and got nowhere near doing, even with JT at the back) and then we have to accumulate more points than every club (bar 1) for the rest of the season. Not a hope in hell. Even 6th is looking like a tough ask.

Another post on November 7th. Again not in August where most of us were doom and gloom because we were awful start of the season but three months on when we'd just had a very good run, a post less than three weeks ago.

That's where I got your name from. It just sticks in my mind like all the posts from WoodyTom last season (in fairness he had a point at the time, did he get banned?)

We really need to beat Leeds imo, need to start beating teams around us. Sadly, whenever my hope gets raised slightly relating to anything Villa, it usually comes crashing down. Predict a lacklustre performance on Friday, can't see any points being made, especially being on Sky.

Hope I'm wrong!

I'd be o.k with a point at Leeds. (as long as we beat Millwall of course). In fact I would forgive SB going defensive for that one like he did at SHA.

Leeds have been inconsistant but they had a good win at Barnsley and no doubt will have a big crowd on Friday.

Let's remember we got turned over there last season so even a draw is better than what we got last season.

16 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Depending on Cardiff not winning tomorrow we could be 2nd as soon as Friday night. 

Cardiff are also at home on Friday night .

The team that worry me is derby who will could go above us on Tuesday at home to Ipswich, they are at home to burton  on Saturday as well so will also be eyeing 2nd place by the weekend .

i can see wolves villa and derby making it a top 3 for the midlands this season .

25 minutes ago, supermon said:

We really need to beat Leeds imo, need to start beating teams around us. Sadly, whenever my hope gets raised slightly relating to anything Villa, it usually comes crashing down. Predict a lacklustre performance on Friday, can't see any points being made, especially being on Sky.

Hope I'm wrong!

Think we can lay the sky hoodoo to bed now after one defeat on tv in 8 games this season .

Not getting beat at Leeds is enough for me, get a point by any means necessary there, can be as ugly as you like. The Derby game is huge, it's a lot to ask to keep the current form going from here on in, but you'd think we'd need to be close to it in order to finish second.

34 minutes ago, supermon said:

Hope I'm wrong!

What we do at leeds will not define the season.....either a win or a defeat.

a defeat will be a set back, no doubt, because we need to win games.

We simply need to beat everybody, if we want automatic promotion.

I accept that beating teams around us is important to create setbacks for them...but 3 points is the holy grail against anybody.

Not just the Derby game is it, we've got....

Leeds A

Millwall H

Derby A

Sheff Utd H

...very tasty.

If by the time we kick off with Sheff Utd that's a straight clash fro 3rd. We'll have done well right? It's a tricky run, and third at Christmas is excellent considering where we were not so very long ago. Gives us half a season +/- to convert third to second.

Cardiff have : Forest A, Norwich A Reading H Hull H and Bolton A

Sheff Utd have: Millwall H, Bristol City H, Preston A, Us A

If we get 8 points in that period, Cardiff will prob beat that, but if our 8 contains 3 at home against Sheff Utd, we should be in 3rd. 

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

What we do at leeds will not define the season.....either a win or a defeat.

a defeat will be a set back, no doubt, because we need to win games.

We simply need to beat everybody, if we want automatic promotion.

I accept that beating teams around us is important to create setbacks for them...but 3 points is the holy grail against anybody.

Very much this. Remember all we need is a 2 point average per game, we can in essence lose 1 with every 2 wins....especially in this difficult month.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Leeds A

Millwall H

Derby A

Sheff Utd H

...very tasty.

If by the time we kick off with Sheff Utd that's a straight clash fro 3rd. We'll have done well right? It's a tricky run, and third at Christmas is excellent considering where we were not so very long ago. Gives us half a season +/- to convert third to second.

If we get 8 points in that period, Cardiff will prob beat that, but if our 8 contains 3 at home against Sheff Utd, we should be in 3rd. 

Its all assuming teams maintain their form.

so boiled down its just an assumption......football throws up shocks and surprises.

just take it game by game.....we need to just keep winning any old how.

Hoping Forest can do the dirty today.

EDIT: I think Derby and Sheffield United are the 2 teams we need to beat most.

Derby have a game in hand and are hot on our heels.

Sheffield United for obvious reasons, peg them back or leapfrog them.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, romavillan said:

Leeds A

Millwall H

Derby A

Sheff Utd H

...very tasty.

Not worried who Cardiff and sheff utd have got - Derby are the one I’m worried about beyond wolves - derby could go above us on Tuesday if they win their game in hand  at home to Ipswich and with burton at home on Saturday Derby will very much fancy their chances of being 2nd on Saturday - a much bigger threat than sheff of Cardiff in my opinion and for me it will be villa or derby to snatch 2nd 

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Very much this. Remember all we need is a 2 point average per game, we can in essence lose 1 with every 2 wins....especially in this difficult month.

We don’t need as many as 92 points to go up but the more the better :)

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

So we all forest fans right now? They have won their last 4 at home so will be confident. Will probably catch the second half.

It’s not on tv - moved because county were at home yesterday 

7 minutes ago, Eastie said:

Sadly Cardiff are ahead at forest but plenty time left - warnock has done a great job for them with limited funds 

He has, and by and large he has done it all his career.

He has his detractors.....but who am i to tell him how to do it.

He would have been a good manager for the "Crazy Gang"

:)

Edited by TRO