3 Sheffield United 13   4 0 2 13 8   5 0 2 13 8   10 27
4 Bristol City 13   3 1 2 9 7   4 3 0 11 5   8 25
5 Derby County 12   4 1 1 14 5   2 3 1 7 8   8 22
6 Middlesbrough 13   3 1 2 8 6   3 3 1 12 6   8 22
7 Cardiff City 13   3 3 0 9 3   3 1 3 6 8   4 22
8 Brentford 13   2 4 0 10 7   3 2 2 11 8   6 21
9 Sheffield Wednesday 13   4 2 1 13 8   1 2 3 6 9   2 19
10 Norwich City 13   1 4 2 4 6   4 0 2 6 4   0 19

I'm loving the confidence fellas but if we're going on the principle that Wolves lead on us is no indication of them being superior then there are 11 other teams we are ahead of by that same gap - I'm always hoping but December is going to tell us everything we need to know. 

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

It's true. We need to forget about Wolves and how good they are or not. I personally think they are out of sight but 2nd place is well within our grasp. 

Yup, this should be our immediate aim.

1st place would just be for the gloss and bragging rights at this point.

Just want us back in the big time!

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN

4 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

They're promoted already? F*** me that was quick! - We where only 9pts behind as well.

I take it we won't have a game on March 10th 2018 now then either?  :huh:

Actually, we are only 1 point behind. The first 3 games don't count. :)

• Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

2nd it is then

if not, he failed us

Promotion or bust for me

I think we finish 2nd but if we get up through the play offs, great. 

Anything else then Bruce goes.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Actually, we are only 1 point behind. The first 3 games don't count. :)

Cheeky. 

Of course they do, but that wasn't the point being made and you know it. If we miss out on promotion it will likely be because of those first 3 games and Steve Bruce takes the blame. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

Promotion or bust for me

I think we finish 2nd but if we get up through the play offs, great. 

Anything else then Bruce goes.

You'd think that but I'm not so sure. They've spoken before about wanting 3 different 'teams', and I've always had the inkling the manager is included in that. 

I suspect Tony at least will be ruthless about it and I also suspect that Steve Bruce was hired as he appeared to be the best man available at the time to steady the ship, give us a slim chance of the playoffs and if not set us up for this season. Which I agreed with at the time.

I bet if you got an honest answer out of Steve Round as to whether he was the right man to instill the new ethos, Bruce wouldn't make his top 10 of realistic targets. 

I think it will depend on exactly how and where we finish in the table, even if we go up via the playoffs.

1 hour ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

You'd think that but I'm not so sure. They've spoken before about wanting 3 different 'teams', and I've always had the inkling the manager is included in that. 

I suspect Tony at least will be ruthless about it and I also suspect that Steve Bruce was hired as he appeared to be the best man available at the time to steady the ship, give us a slim chance of the playoffs and if not set us up for this season. Which I agreed with at the time.

I bet if you got an honest answer out of Steve Round as to whether he was the right man to instill the new ethos, Bruce wouldn't make his top 10 of realistic targets. 

I think it will depend on exactly how and where we finish in the table, even if we go up via the playoffs.

I think he will be gone regardless.  He is not part of the future plans of Aston Villa hence the 1 year rolling contract. His job is promotion and ends there. 

3 hours ago, Mantis said:

Our upturn in form has coincided exactly with Davis being put into the team. Don't think that's a coincidence.

Those first 3 games we were hoofing the ball out to Hogan and/or Gabby. The minute the ball started sticking up front and we started playing wingers who could benefit from that (Snodgrass and Adomah) it's no surprise our fortunes changed.

6 hours ago, Grasshopper said:

lucky

or

clever?

Clever for sure. Identified owners with links to the most powerful agent in world football. 

8 hours ago, Nigel said:

Exactly, the first 3 games were an anomaly. 

We are the 2 best teams in this division, its just that we are still climbing up to our position making up for that start; Form table backs this up. 

Just hope this long term injury curse doesnt strike again as that could be the game changer.

Agreed. Wolves certainly the best in the division but can't think of another squad/team better than ours. We should definitely be aiming for 2nd place. Talk of accepting the playoffs is lunacy imo. 

59 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Those first 3 games we were hoofing the ball out to Hogan and/or Gabby. The minute the ball started sticking up front and we started playing wingers who could benefit from that (Snodgrass and Adomah) it's no surprise our fortunes changed.

It's an interesting hypothesis but it isn't rooted in any fact.

We have one of the lowest average length (21st) numbers in the league at 19m (rounded for our purposes unfortunately). Cardiff, Burton, Millwall, Bolton and Ipswich round out the top 5 whilst Fulham are bottom so it's fair to say it's accurate. We also have the 10th highest number of passes and 9th highest accuracy - http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#possession-&-passing#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2017/2018#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#length#desc#total

That's not to say we haven't been better with Davis in the team, but if you were to actually watch us his better work is with the ball to feet. 

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's an interesting hypothesis but it isn't rooted in any fact.

We have one of the lowest average length (21st) numbers in the league at 19m (rounded for our purposes unfortunately). Cardiff, Burton, Millwall, Bolton and Ipswich round out the top 5 whilst Fulham are bottom so it's fair to say it's accurate. We also have the 10th highest number of passes and 9th highest accuracy - http://www.squawka.com/football-team-rankings#possession-&-passing#team-stats#english-football-league---championship|season-2017/2018#0#90#any#any#season#1#all-matches#length#desc#total

That's not to say we haven't been better with Davis in the team, but if you were to actually watch us his better work is with the ball to feet. 

Well yes, my point was the balls weren't going to Hogan and Gabby's feet through their own deficiencies or lack of form or both. 

Also we might be near the bottom of the league in long balls but that says more about this league than it does us. Our style is still very much direct (not saying there's anything  wrong with it) and it only benefited from Keinans skills.

I have no doubt that if we continued playing our other strikers (Kodjia included) we wouldn't be doing as well as we have.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Well yes, my point was the balls weren't going to Hogan and Gabby's feet through their own deficiencies or lack of form or both. 

Also we might be near the bottom of the league in long balls but that says more about this league than it does us. Our style is still very much direct (not saying there's anything  wrong with it) and it only benefited from Keinans skills.

I have no doubt that if we continued playing our other strikers (Kodjia included) we wouldn't be doing as well as we have.

Perhaps. There are 10 teams in the PL with a higher average pass length than us. In the Championship we are right there with Derby and Wolves. I agree our style is direct, but it isn't 'hoofing the ball'. That's the only myth I wanted to dispel. 

Maybe it was in the first 3 games, hard to know now. It was a crock of shit either way.

We are direct yes, agreed.