17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

Wolves have earned respect, they really have. We also can, it is possible - but we have to earn it as they have - we have to win , most of the time. Form says we will, injuries say we won't, but I reckon we can be the second club to go up, just need a bit of luck.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Again I'm going to reiterate this because it relates to our form - take the first 3 games out when Wolves flew out the blocks and we, well **** knows what we were up to, and we're only a point behind them. That's with them beating us. 

If Wolves are deserving of respect so are we. I think the entire club, from the neck down, needs to start thinking like winners. Mentality counts for a lot in this game.

Take those first 3 games out of it and we would be second a point behind Wolves, I believe. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Again I'm going to reiterate this because it relates to our form - take the first 3 games out when Wolves flew out the blocks and we, well **** knows what we were up to, and we're only a point behind them. That's with them beating us. 

If Wolves are deserving of respect so are we. I think the entire club, from the neck down, needs to start thinking like winners. Mentality counts for a lot in this game.

Exactly, the first 3 games were an anomaly. 

We are the 2 best teams in this division, its just that we are still climbing up to our position making up for that start; Form table backs this up. 

Just hope this long term injury curse doesnt strike again as that could be the game changer.

11 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Wolves are gone now. Luckily 2nd gets promoted as well. 

They're promoted already? F*** me that was quick! - We where only 9pts behind as well.

I take it we won't have a game on March 10th 2018 now then either?  :huh:

Edited by AvfcRigo82

9 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

It's why we signed Terry, to bring in a culture of winning.

It's the exact reason why I'm (perhaps too) forgiving of the odd shit performance or result, because I don't see simply spending money as the fix to what has been our problem for 6+ years now.

The culture at the club has been rotten, we tried to address it last year with signings like Elphick and Jedinak but they weren't able to turn it round so we cranked it up a notch and brought in one of the biggest names of English football for the past decade (Terry), the question mark over him was would he lead by example on the pitch as well as off it, answer - he bloody well has, in spades in my opinion.

Mentality, confidence, belief - call it what you will but it's what separates teams. Did Leicester win the league because they had the best players? No. Are Swansea, Bournmeouth, Watford, Burnley, Stoke etc in the PL whilst we're in the Championship because they're bigger/better clubs? No. It's because they've instilled a culture and an approach that breeds confidence.

I hope we get there, I think we're heading the right way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

It's why we signed Terry, to bring in a culture of winning.

It's the exact reason why I'm (perhaps too) forgiving of the odd shit performance or result, because I don't see simply spending money as the fix to what has been our problem for 6+ years now.

The culture at the club has been rotten, we tried to address it last year with signings like Elphick and Jedinak but they weren't able to turn it round so we cranked it up a notch and brought in one of the biggest names of English football for the past decade (Terry), the question mark over him was would he lead by example on the pitch as well as off it, answer - he bloody well has, in spades in my opinion.

Mentality, confidence, belief - call it what you will but it's what separates teams. Did Leicester win the league because they had the best players? No. Are Swansea, Bournmeouth, Watford, Burnley, Stoke etc in the PL whilst we're in the Championship because they're bigger/better clubs? No. It's because they've instilled a culture and an approach that breeds confidence.

I hope we get there, I think we're heading the right way.

Good post

What happened?

• Like 2

13 hours ago, MikeAVFC said:

Wolves are playing it very cleverly, using the loan market well and have options to buy them all if they go up. Only player they spent a significant sum on is Neves, and I saw somewhere they've only a net spend of 10 million this summer. And to think we spent 15 million on Hogan who never plays. I don't want to turn this into a bash Bruce thread and I'm still hopeful about this season but imo Wolves recruitment and direction is far superior to ours. It's clear they have a long term plan

Wolves never would have had a hope in hell in signing those players if Mendes wasnt involved with wolves. For me we spent badly in most cases but wolves have "more connections" which in this league is completely lucky for them.

52 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Wolves never would have had a hope in hell in signing those players if Mendes wasnt involved with wolves. For me we spent badly in most cases but wolves have "more connections" which in this league is completely lucky for them.

lucky

or

clever?

• Like 1

Wolves will do whatever Wolves do. Whether they are realistically catchable is a good question but there are a few others in our sights before them. Let's see if we can reel in Sheffield United first, then Cardiff and keep Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Derby at bay first.

• Like 3

30 minutes ago, VILLAMARV said:

Wolves will do whatever Wolves do. Whether they are realistically catchable is a good question but there are a few others in our sights before them. Let's see if we can reel in Sheffield United first, then Cardiff and keep Bristol City, Middlesbrough and Derby at bay first.

It's true. We need to forget about Wolves and how good they are or not. I personally think they are out of sight but 2nd place is well within our grasp. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nigel said:

Exactly, the first 3 games were an anomaly. 

We are the 2 best teams in this division, its just that we are still climbing up to our position making up for that start; Form table backs this up. 

Just hope this long term injury curse doesnt strike again as that could be the game changer.

If that is true then we should finish 2nd.

12 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

100% agree, there is over half of the season to go yet, I am happy where we are at the moment on the shoulders ready to pounce on any slip ups. The pressure in the second half of the season as the prize nears can play havoc with teams that looked like easy winners suddenly droppiing points (see Newcastle all those years ago). Also to add, Wolves are flying at the moment, but have they had any big injuries to key players this season like we have? Say that Diogo Jota gets injured for 6-8 weeks, that could put a serious dent in their points gains. A long long way to go yet.

8 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If that is true then we should finish 2nd.

Yep

Stand a very good chance of doing so...although (as i said) things can change, such as how many more injuries we pick up!

Just now, Nigel said:

Yep

Stand a very good chance of doing so...although (as i said) things can change, such as how many more injuries we pick up!

It's been said quite a few times but the next 4-5 games will prove if we are really the second best team in the league with all the teams around each other bar Cardiff and Wolves playing each other. If we are I expect to be 2nd or within touching distance after this period.