17/18 Promotion Charge

dont_do_it_doug.

8 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Such a naive and simplistic tactic, easily nullified as we showed yesterday. Pulis is getting paid millions to come up with this shit.

And someone had the temerity to call him a good manager.

Despicable man.

15 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Such mixed emotions. Desperate to go up but what am i desperate for? The prem has now finished, outside the top 7 every other team lost more games than they won and conceded more goals than they scored. Being an average premier league team seems pretty shit to be honest. I do genuinely wonder why i feel so desperate to experience it again. 

Premier League is basically top 6, a couple of mid table teams (Everton & Leicester) and the rest (Burnley included) scrapping for survival. 

We need to go up to see wha Xia can do and how much he is prepared to invest. Be interesting to see what Wolves do as well. 

Wolves finished almost 30 points ahead of the 7th placed team in the Championship. And the gap between the wealthy clubs with their parachute money and those who have no money will only get bigger.

The Championship will turn into a crappier version of the PL.

We just happen to be on the Man City side of the Championship for now, this will change too.

Nothing positive about remaining in the Championship, we won't even be a "big fish" in a season or 2.

• Like 3

23 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

Such mixed emotions. Desperate to go up but what am i desperate for? The prem has now finished, outside the top 7 every other team lost more games than they won and conceded more goals than they scored. Being an average premier league team seems pretty shit to be honest. I do genuinely wonder why i feel so desperate to experience it again. 

If be happy to stay another season in the Championship if it didn't effect us financially.  It's a great competative league. I mean what will we be playing for in the Premier League......... just to survive the season maybe?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TB said:

Eh? Those figures are about what would happen to a team going up.  Nothing about what happens to a team failing to go up.

Huh? Who said anything about not going up?

1 hour ago, TheStagMan said:

I don't think that is right. Surely both our and Fulhams parachute payments would be less next season if we don't go up.

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Because next season we are going to storm to the Premier League title and make Man City look like SHA!!!

:flag:

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

That’s actually not true. There’s no benefit other than the goal up on aggregate with a 1-0 away win. As that goal would have to be cancelled out anyway, meaning both teams would have an away goal. We’re actually better off without away goals counting now because it means we’re not out should it go wrong and lose 2-1.

Actually you're right, pretty much no difference thinking it through other than two Boro goals being more fatal under the AG rule.

4 hours ago, foreveryoung said:

If be happy to stay another season in the Championship if it didn't effect us financially.  It's a great competative league. I mean what will we be playing for in the Premier League......... just to survive the season maybe?

That's exactly what we would be playing for, unless we went up and spent the best part of £200M or more, which I think we can all agree, would be unlikely. 

I enjoy going into every game believing we can win, in the prem you basically write off the best part of 10+ games before they've even come round. The real kick in the teeth tends to be that they're the majority of the games screened live too. 

10 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Certainly being there than a shit team in the championship. Don't expect another season like this if we don't go up.

People have to be realistic if we don't go up we are going to be selling some of our better players then it becomes even more difficult to go up and forget ever winning a fa or league cup.

Burnley yes Burnley got a europa spot. So for me gove me premier league any day than a trip to shit clubs like Wigan and bolton

6 hours ago, AlwaysAVFC said:

That’s actually not true. There’s no benefit other than the goal up on aggregate with a 1-0 away win. As that goal would have to be cancelled out anyway, meaning both teams would have an away goal. We’re actually better off without away goals counting now because it means we’re not out should it go wrong and lose 2-1.

If we had won 2-0 lets say and scored one goal at villa park boro would need 3 goals.  That is what would have benefited us. Like you say it would not benefit us much at 1-0.

4 hours ago, bannedfromHandV said:

That's exactly what we would be playing for, unless we went up and spent the best part of £200M or more, which I think we can all agree, would be unlikely. 

We will need to spend £200m to get a squad that can compete with Palace. If we go up, we're in for a very tough season. 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

We will need to spend £200m to get a squad that can compete with Palace. If we go up, we're in for a very tough season. 

Can't argue with that. Seeing all bar 6 teams with minus goal difference just shows how much we need the authorities to change the way football operates in this country otherwise our most loved sport is going to die. 

25 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

Agreed we would face a challenging season and 40 points would be our target. It would take a couple of seasons to build into a mid table side from which we could hope to kick on with the help of annual wads of TV money. Let's get there and then worry. I'm sure every other team in the playoffs would relish the opportunity to test themselves in the top flight. Bring the worry of where those 40 points will come from on.:)

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

If we had won 2-0 lets say and scored one goal at villa park boro would need 3 goals.  That is what would have benefited us. Like you say it would not benefit us much at 1-0.

In relation to away goals being an advantage, your example is no different to us currently being 1-0 up.

The only time that away goals will give you an advantage is when both the home and away team scored in that game. Ie: If we had drawn 1-1 at Boro then a 0-0 at Villa Park would have seen us through. Or if we’d won 2-1 then Boro getting a 1-0 at VP would still see us through. Your 2-0 example is no different to where we currently are (in relation to away goals being an advantage, anyway!)