Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Just now, Adam2003 said:

So presumably he’ll be released from loan after their 46th game... stage set to have scored the goal today to take Sheffield United up so Leeds miss out, then come back and score the winning goal in the playoff final for us against Leeds... I’d enjoy that.

Becoming a legend at 2 different clubs in the space of a fortnight :lol: 

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

So, that’s the former players......now.....Mcleish ? Lambert ? Garde ? Sherwood ? RDM ? Bruce ?

Not such a strong representation in the top League.

Its almost as if we’ve been badly managed.......

.....for a generation.

• Like 1

Just watched the Game.

and Hogan and Bree in particular.

don't wish ill on any player......but ,Hogan is a poor player, despite his goal and he nearly missed that.....don't know what we do with him?

He has absolutely zilch aggression in his play and his positional sense is woeful, that's just for starters.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

Just watched the Game.

and Hogan and Bree in particular.

Hogan is a poor player, despite his goal and he nearly missed that.....don't know what we do with him?

He has absolutely zilch aggression in his play and his positional sense is woeful, that's just for starters.

12m wasted on him by Bruce as well, the man who - according to media - was on a shoestring budget. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Dick said:

12m wasted on him by Bruce as well, the man who - according to media - was on a shoestring budget. 

A really,really poor signing....There could't have been any due dilligence on him.

They must have just looked at his goal scoring record, without looking at his play....bit like Guy Whittingham.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, TRO said:

A really,really poor signing....There could't have been any due dilligence on him.

They must have just looked at his goal scoring record, without looking at his play....bit like Guy Whittingham.

Whilst we are only guessing I suspect you are right. We did the same with Kodja, Lansbury, and Hourihane, with differing degrees of success.

But as you say, we’ve been doing it for years. Either bought slightly fading players because of what they’ve done, bought players on stats or because they’ve Won player of the year at their previous club, and all the rest.

The more we look back on it the more we see what a thoroughly abysmal period we’ve had in respect of planned team building.

Really speaking it’s only properly happened maybe three times since we won the European Cup ( GT Mk 1, BFR, and Little...to greater or lesser extents). What a mess. No wonder there is such uninhibited joy around the place just now........but Smiths really big test is still to come, if those days are really to be left behind.

• Like 2

All this gibber jabber about Lord Scott of The Holte not being worth £12m is utter tosh. We mismanaged him totally, it was entirely our fault, under the right conditions the boy is a goal machine. He’s just scored the goal that has almost certainly catapulted Sheffield United back to the PL. That’s a £100 million goal right there!

I’m sure the recruitment team up there in Yorkshire have the vision to recognise this and snap him up before there’s a bidding war. £20m rising to £25m and you’ve got yourselves a PL striker for a snip. We’re fools to ourselves, but with ffp and all that our hands are tied gov.....

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

So presumably he’ll be released from loan after their 46th game... stage set to have scored the goal today to take Sheffield United up so Leeds miss out, then come back and score the winning goal in the playoff final for us against Leeds... I’d enjoy that.

If this is possible, he won’t be anywhere near our team in the playoffs. 

• Like 3

13 hours ago, terrytini said:

Whilst we are only guessing I suspect you are right. We did the same with Kodja, Lansbury, and Hourihane, with differing degrees of success.

But as you say, we’ve been doing it for years. Either bought slightly fading players because of what they’ve done, bought players on stats or because they’ve Won player of the year at their previous club, and all the rest.

The more we look back on it the more we see what a thoroughly abysmal period we’ve had in respect of planned team building.

Really speaking it’s only properly happened maybe three times since we won the European Cup ( GT Mk 1, BFR, and Little...to greater or lesser extents). What a mess. No wonder there is such uninhibited joy around the place just now........but Smiths really big test is still to come, if those days are really to be left behind.

I think you are bang on about those three teams since 82, the rest was never as well put together. Not even the 3 6th places with MON, so much wasted cash. 

The best thing other than the Smith appointment is that now the responsibility for recruitment, and continuity in that regard is not on the shoulders of a manager (who can be replaced - sparking starting from scratch again, rinse and repeat), no, now the responsibility is shared between the DoF the recruitment network of scouts etc and the coaches. Take one piece out of that and replace it and you don't have to tear it all down and start again. So hopefully we can look forward to a good few years of getting things right for once.

On Hogan, his only hope either here or elsewhere is that he finds a team like how we were set up under Houllier with Bent, that the whole thing is geared to finding him in some space in the box. When we sold Bent's supply we were screwed, we don't play like that now though, we'd be more likely to play a false 9 than Hogan, look how much work Tammy does dropping in to help create something to get us up the pitch collectively. Quite often we end up with 3 or 4 in the box because we've attacked as a group after the center forward has come back and got involved and people have run on past him. That's not Hogan's game.

On 26/04/2019 at 23:12, hippo said:

Certainly Ive seen no pro as poor on the ball as he.

Gilles de Bilde. Saw him play for us at Elland Road once, and he literally looked like someone who had never played football in his life. He was so obviously inept that eventually the other Villa players stopped passing the ball to him, and he just wandered around the pitch forlornly until he got subbed. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, romavillan said:

I think you are bang on about those three teams since 82, the rest was never as well put together. Not even the 3 6th places with MON, so much wasted cash. 

The best thing other than the Smith appointment is that now the responsibility for recruitment, and continuity in that regard is not on the shoulders of a manager (who can be replaced - sparking starting from scratch again, rinse and repeat), no, now the responsibility is shared between the DoF the recruitment network of scouts etc and the coaches. Take one piece out of that and replace it and you don't have to tear it all down and start again. So hopefully we can look forward to a good few years of getting things right for once.

On Hogan, his only hope either here or elsewhere is that he finds a team like how we were set up under Houllier with Bent, that the whole thing is geared to finding him in some space in the box. When we sold Bent's supply we were screwed, we don't play like that now though, we'd be more likely to play a false 9 than Hogan, look how much work Tammy does dropping in to help create something to get us up the pitch collectively. Quite often we end up with 3 or 4 in the box because we've attacked as a group after the center forward has come back and got involved and people have run on past him. That's not Hogan's game.

I am not sure what Hogans game really is......all i see is a player that fails to execute the basics.

I am always a bit dubious of players who point to where they want it........you don't see pukki, Sharp or Maupay doing that, they just work the space and get found, buzzing for opportunities.....not waiting for the perfect ball.

19 minutes ago, TRO said:

I am not sure what Hogans game really is......all i see is a player that fails to execute the basics.

I am always a bit dubious of players who point to where they want it........you don't see pukki, Sharp or Maupay doing that, they just work the space and get found, buzzing for opportunities.....not waiting for the perfect ball.

Pretty much yeah. Can't really fault his work-rate, but he seems to lack a footballing brain, meaning it's of no great use wherever he moves, whatever he tries. Couple that with a serious lack of technical ability and it's a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure there's a system out there somewhere.. where he might flourish better, but it isn't our current system. 

14 hours ago, punkymonkey666 said:

Wasn't his fee 9mil rising to 12? I wouldn't have thought he's done enough to trigger the higher fee...

£9m rising to £12m based on fees per successful touch IIRC.

We've so far paid about 76p in add ons.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

Gilles de Bilde. Saw him play for us at Elland Road once, and he literally looked like someone who had never played football in his life. He was so obviously inept that eventually the other Villa players stopped passing the ball to him, and he just wandered around the pitch forlornly until he got subbed. 

Ah good old Bob. I remember him.

3 hours ago, vreitti said:

Pretty much yeah. Can't really fault his work-rate, but he seems to lack a footballing brain, meaning it's of no great use wherever he moves, whatever he tries. Couple that with a serious lack of technical ability and it's a recipe for disaster.

I'm sure there's a system out there somewhere.. where he might flourish better, but it isn't our current system. 

2-3-5.....back in the 50's

Â