Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

Hogan scoring for sheffield utd though could mean that we've been overlooking his ability for far to long. If all he needs was game time then it's no different than what Chelsea have been doing with Tammy, except Tammy scoring tons of goals because he's got loan game time. Thing is we maybe Smith should of given Scott some game time, if we're in this championship next season,  maybe we should do that.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, HanoiVillan said:

He's scored 2 goals in 5 starts and 3 sub appearances. It's not terrible, but it's also not exactly proof that he's a misunderstood genius. 

How much hame time has he had in the 6 months prior to those 8 appearances?  Not much i'd wager.

Strikers, all players really, need a run of hames to get match fit.

There are few strikers in the world than can not play for months at a time, and instantly start banging them in.  Hogan will never be that good, but played regularly, he will score goals.

I can't recall him playing more than a few concurrent games since his arrival - often due to injury.

I think judging him on his time here is harsh.  He's not great, he might not even be good, but at this level, given games, he is capable.

We have seen many of our players under bruce looks so wasteful and looks so rubbish that many on here including I have questioned whether they are even championship ready. Smith comes along and many of those players who were often questioned have completely changed again into very capable players.

I'm not saying Hogan is a genius, I doubt any of our players are apart from maybe Mings, Mcginn and Grealish, then I'd still question the genius tag being placed for many reasons.

We have Smith and he has the ability to change Hogan for the better I believe, could even change his game entirely into more than a capable striker, he just needs game time. As it stands if he wasn't on loan we could have put him in and I would so of put him in front of kodjia especially for these last few games of the season while Tammy has been out.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Hogan scoring for sheffield utd though could mean that we've been overlooking his ability for far to long.

He's scored 2 goals in 8 appearances and usually can't get a game for them.

You're talking like he's bagged 20 goals for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

51 minutes ago, flashingqwerty said:

How much hame time has he had in the 6 months prior to those 8 appearances?  Not much i'd wager.

Strikers, all players really, need a run of hames to get match fit.

There are few strikers in the world than can not play for months at a time, and instantly start banging them in.  Hogan will never be that good, but played regularly, he will score goals.

I can't recall him playing more than a few concurrent games since his arrival - often due to injury.

I think judging him on his time here is harsh.  He's not great, he might not even be good, but at this level, given games, he is capable.

What are you basing that on? His brief run of form at Brentford? 

He absolutely has had a run of games for us. He had that brief spell where he scored in a couple of games for us and then subsequently got a run in the team and was, predictably, quite shit.

If Scott Hogan was any good he'd be getting far more game time than he's getting.

The guy will be 35 making sporadic appearances for Rotherham and VillaTalk will still be claiming he needs a run in the team to get some goals.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Its probably been brought up on here before and ruled out, but was there a clause that sheff utd  have to buy hogan if they got promoted?

its called " Wishful Thinking"

37 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

What are you basing that on? His brief run of form at Brentford? 

He absolutely has had a run of games for us. He had that brief spell where he scored in a couple of games for us and then subsequently got a run in the team and was, predictably, quite shit.

If Scott Hogan was any good he'd be getting far more game time than he's getting.

The guy will be 35 making sporadic appearances for Rotherham and VillaTalk will still be claiming he needs a run in the team to get some goals.

I think you only have to watch him play and its clear what the issues are......He can only function in a forward line that swarms the opposition in numbers i.e Sheff utd - Brentford.....He drifts in and goes unnoticed...(Like the proverbial Wildebeest who hides in the pack from the Lion)

When you get a measured build up like ours, and the forward is under focus...... he is exposed and closed out...subsequently fades and goes missing.

Edited by TRO

7 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This thread is unbelievable.

When you consider how quickly players get written off in other threads, even when they've actually performed brilliantly for us at times (Kodjia, Adomah, Elmohamady etc) it continues to baffle me how a guy who has never done anything in a Villa shirt other than look distinctly average at best (and even that is generous) gets so many chances with the fan base.

Was thinking the same thing. Why are so many people on here so damn ready to run with the "he just needs games" trope for this guy when he has been given games and been average at best? We're not even CLOSE to this apologetic with so many of our other players who have been proving themselves far more than this bloke. it's pretty baffling tbh, he's like the anti-thesis of Westwood.

Edited by osmark86
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

Hogan scoring for sheffield utd though could mean that we've been overlooking his ability for far to long. If all he needs was game time then it's no different than what Chelsea have been doing with Tammy, except Tammy scoring tons of goals because he's got loan game time. Thing is we maybe Smith should of given Scott some game time, if we're in this championship next season,  maybe we should do that.

I think Dean Smith knows exactly why he is not giving game time to Scott Hogan....He may not want to disclose it to us, being the guy he is.....but he knows.

Tammy scores tons of goals because he works the space and is not afraid to get clattered in the process....He is not a battering ram, but can mix it and not afraid of the physical encounter....and he lets his opposing centre halves know.

Edited by TRO

Scott Hogan is rubbish.  He scored a few goals in a team built around him, but having a lower league player standing in the area waiting for chances on a plate isn't the sort of player I want to see at Villa.  He has no real pace, can't hold the ball up, can't beat a man, can't run with the ball, doesn't bring other players in, etc etc.  We get so much more from both Abraham and Kodjia. I'd much rather see Davis given a chance to be honest.

Bruce massively paid over the odds by a factor of about 5 times for Hogan.  An extremely limited player, and if we're reduced to playing him in the play off games then our chances of going up will be drastically reduced.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, Risso said:

Scott Hogan is rubbish.  He scored a few goals in a team built around him, but having a lower league player standing in the area waiting for chances on a plate isn't the sort of player I want to see at Villa.  He has no real pace, can't hold the ball up, can't beat a man, can't run with the ball, doesn't bring other players in, etc etc.  We get so much more from both Abraham and Kodjia. I'd much rather see Davis given a chance to be honest.

Bruce massively paid over the odds by a factor of about 5 times for Hogan.  An extremely limited player, and if we're reduced to playing him in the play off games then our chances of going up will be drastically reduced.

He's not that good !!!

seriously, spot on.

I find it very sad that certain people are ready to jump into this unbelievable thread every time it gets bumped.

The same people who have already forgotten about an ex striker who went missing for 5 seasons and stuck up two fingers to the clubs relegation fight - clearly less than distinctly average I would suggest.

we all know that Scott is no Brian little or Gary Shaw - but he does try.

He didn't ask for a £12 million price tag to be put on his head or to be bought by a clown of a manager - when Aston Villa coming knocking at this level - who says no?

I have felt for a long time that Scott will end up back at Brentford - most likely next season after Maupay is sold - he will then again get his fair share of goals - he won't be prolific but will get his share.

Some times a club is just too big for an individual and I feel this is a classic case in point - but that's no reason to jump on him everytime his name gets mentioned on here.

• Like 1

Â