Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Dave J said:

I find it very sad that certain people are ready to jump into this unbelievable thread every time it gets bumped.

The same people who have already forgotten about an ex striker who went missing for 5 seasons and stuck up two fingers to the clubs relegation fight - clearly less than distinctly average I would suggest.

we all know that Scott is no Brian little or Gary Shaw - but he does try.

He didn't ask for a £12 million price tag to be put on his head or to be bought by a clown of a manager - when Aston Villa coming knocking at this level - who says no?

I have felt for a long time that Scott will end up back at Brentford - most likely next season after Maupay is sold - he will then again get his fair share of goals - he won't be prolific but will get his share.

Some times a club is just too big for an individual and I feel this is a classic case in point - but that's no reason to jump on him everytime his name gets mentioned on here.

It's a forum to discuss Villa related items.  Somebody suggested that Scott Hogan might be used in the play offs.  To which the only reasonable response is "bollocks to that, he is chuffing hopeless."

I'm not sure what else you were reasonably expecting when you clicked on a thread with the title "Scott Hogan."

• Like 4

7 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Could be. I still hold a candle for him because of three things.

1.) He IS our player and is going to remain so until his contract is up or until someone wants to buy him. So attacking him for not scoring (which he is well aware of) serves zero purpose.

2.) He clearly has ability. To what level we can disagree but its worth noting he just helped get a team promoted to the Premier league and Blades fans (not the easiest bunch) dont think he is useless. Whether he is a premier league footballer is a different matter.

3.) He is a professional. he isnt a McCormack or Habib beye or Nzogbia. This guy wants to earn his money and puts the work in. he has also said openly (on ATVTV plus elsewhere) he is extremely disappointed in his lack of goals, he blames nobody but himself.

So yeah I dont blame fans here for not thinking much of him, thats fine, the evidence is there and he would agree. But i am not going to wash my hands of him or treat him like one of the other crooks we have had stealing a wage at the club. He isnt that and if we want to get any use or frankly money out of our purchase then supporting him be it by loan or bench appearances can only be a good thing imho.

I am more than happy to support any decision Dean Smith makes about Hogan, he is going to know better than any of us. If he plays him then he has my support. if he doesnt then I trust there is a very good reason. But lets not make life any harder for Hogan or Smith. Both of them want to do well for the club.

1) and 3) are why nobody dislikes him. I criticise him but I constantly say I like the guy and like his attitude. He's not unprofessional.

But he's also not very good.

I dislike the amount of people who make excuses for his poor ability when we have other players like Kodjia and Adomah who have been brilliant at times for Villa but are thrown on the scrap heap in a bad run of form. Yet Hogan is still immune from criticism from some.

As for point 2) well i don't really know what that's based on. To me he clearly doesn't have ability, not at the top end of the Championship. The only thing that could be based on is pure wishful thinking.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Was thinking the same thing. Why are so many people on here so damn ready to run with the "he just needs games" trope for this guy when he has been given games and been average at best? We're not even CLOSE to this apologetic with so many of our other players who have been proving themselves far more than this bloke. it's pretty baffling tbh, he's like the anti-thesis of Westwood.

Maybe because when we have a striker who is our second best yet he just stands around most of the time, then why not give hogan game time also, can't be no worse can it.

I see it as we have a big dilemma without Tammy, the rest of our strikers without sounding to mean or harsh as others would put it, are not pulling there weight.  Come next season I think it's one area we seriously need sorting out. Stay put in the championship and we could have a serious problem if we dont replace, buy any new strikers. Do you have faith in any of our strikers (Tammy excused) to promotion push us next season, I don't at the moment unfortunately.

If we're in this championship next season, we won't recognise the Villa squad next season. 

53 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

1) and 3) are why nobody dislikes him. I criticise him but I constantly say I like the guy and like his attitude. He's not unprofessional.

But he's also not very good.

I dislike the amount of people who make excuses for his poor ability when we have other players like Kodjia and Adomah who have been brilliant at times for Villa but are thrown on the scrap heap in a bad run of form. Yet Hogan is still immune from criticism from some.

As for point 2) well i don't really know what that's based on. To me he clearly doesn't have ability, not at the top end of the Championship. The only thing that could be based on is pure wishful thinking.

He's not immune from critism, yet he should be given every chance to shine like the rest. I'm pretty sure Smith has dumped out on loan for reasons, maybe when he comes back Smith has a plan for him. As it stands I'm struggling with all our strikers apart from you know who. If I had my way I'd get rid of them all this summer apart from Davis in hope his games come on nicely.

11 hours ago, Risso said:

It's a forum to discuss Villa related items.  Somebody suggested that Scott Hogan might be used in the play offs.  To which the only reasonable response is "bollocks to that, he is chuffing hopeless."

I'm not sure what else you were reasonably expecting when you clicked on a thread with the title "Scott Hogan."

What I'm not expecting is to read the same old vitriol every time his name is mentioned to be honest.

Yes we know the views of certain people regarding Hogan's ability  - do they really need to keep telling us exactly what they think of him ?

I'm not defending Scotts record here - far from it - but the way some react towards him - you would think he is Gabby/Richards/ Zog/McCormack roiled into one - Scott does try and appears to be a good pro - for this alone he does not deserve the abuse he gets - in my humble opinion anyway.

1 hour ago, Dave-R said:

He's not immune from critism, yet he should be given every chance to shine like the rest. I'm pretty sure Smith has dumped out on loan for reasons, maybe when he comes back Smith has a plan for him. As it stands I'm struggling with all our strikers apart from you know who. If I had my way I'd get rid of them all this summer apart from Davis in hope his games come on nicely.

I completely agree. he should be given every chance.

But in my opinion he has already been given a load of chances. He's been here for over 2 and a half years (almost) and he has never performed for us. Yet other players who HAVE shown they can perform don't get anywhere near the amount of chances.

I like the guy, and if he ever got to the level where he could contribute for us I'd be as thrilled as anyone. 

But he has never shown anything in a Villa shirt, or a Sheffield United shirt for that matter, to suggest he is anywhere near good enough. His reputation seems to rely solely on a 30 game purple patch for Brentford years ago. It's actually laughable that people are asking if he's good enough for the Premier League. I think the question is whether he's good enough for the Championship. Certainly for a team challenging the playoffs, there's no evidence that he's good enough.

• Like 1

If we can't shift him in the summer and don't go up then it'll be interesting to see if Smith sticks him in the squad or loans him out again. Could be that he stays in the squad if we don't get anyone in to replace Tammy (assuming that Chelsea want to sell or can't loan him out again because of that embargo). He hasn't shown himself to be good enough but if anyone can get a tune out of him then it's got to be Deano.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dave-R said:

Maybe because when we have a striker who is our second best yet he just stands around most of the time, then why not give hogan game time also, can't be no worse can it.

I see it as we have a big dilemma without Tammy, the rest of our strikers without sounding to mean or harsh as others would put it, are not pulling there weight.  Come next season I think it's one area we seriously need sorting out. Stay put in the championship and we could have a serious problem if we dont replace, buy any new strikers. Do you have faith in any of our strikers (Tammy excused) to promotion push us next season, I don't at the moment unfortunately.

If we're in this championship next season, we won't recognise the Villa squad next season. 

Yes it can be worse. Kodija isn't our best striker but I still rate him well above Hogan. I rate Davis higher too in terms of how he does for the team (if only he could start scoring more he'd be brilliant imo).

I agree that without Tammy we don't have a lot of firepower and this worries me too in case we don't go up. I just don't believe that Hogan is an answer to this dilemma either.

Edited by osmark86

16 hours ago, Dave J said:

I find it very sad that certain people are ready to jump into this unbelievable thread every time it gets bumped.

The same people who have already forgotten about an ex striker who went missing for 5 seasons and stuck up two fingers to the clubs relegation fight - clearly less than distinctly average I would suggest.

we all know that Scott is no Brian little or Gary Shaw - but he does try.

He didn't ask for a £12 million price tag to be put on his head or to be bought by a clown of a manager - when Aston Villa coming knocking at this level - who says no?

I have felt for a long time that Scott will end up back at Brentford - most likely next season after Maupay is sold - he will then again get his fair share of goals - he won't be prolific but will get his share.

Some times a club is just too big for an individual and I feel this is a classic case in point - but that's no reason to jump on him everytime his name gets mentioned on here.

I find it unbelievable that every 6 months when he does one thing that isn't atrocious footballing ability, the same people jump in to tell us about how he never had a chance and all he needs is game time  

Absolutely laughable.

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I find it unbelievable that every 6 months when he does one thing that isn't atrocious footballing ability, the same people jump in to tell us about how he never had a chance and all he needs is game time  

Absolutely laughable.

I think you are missing the point with due respect - this is no longer a debate on Scotts ability - this has Been done enough - it's moreover about the same few who think they are enlighting us with their same continued criticism of Scott.

I don't need these people to tell me who can play and who can't.

I just think they should get over themselves - Scott won't be with us much longer - at least give him the credit his professionalism deserves eh?

32 minutes ago, Dave J said:

I think you are missing the point with due respect - this is no longer a debate on Scotts ability - this has Been done enough - it's moreover about the same few who think they are enlighting us with their same continued criticism of Scott.

I don't need these people to tell me who can play and who can't.

I just think they should get over themselves - Scott won't be with us much longer - at least give him the credit his professionalism deserves eh?

Reminds me of the Gabby thread.

• Haha 2

1 minute ago, Paddywhack said:

Reminds me of the Gabby thread.

Yes that's the whole point - Gabby was rubbish in my view and went missing for 5 season - yet still got lauded.

His professionalism was appalling.

Scotts is not and he gets battered from pillar to post.

This is the crux of the matter - not abilities.

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently Sheffield United want to make the move permanent come the summer. Please let it be true. If we can get 6-7m for him I'd be delighted 

If true - this would represent a good sale - despite our initial outlay on him.

Regardless of his ability or lack of - depending which camp you are in I for one wish him well.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently Sheffield United want to make the move permanent come the summer. Please let it be true. If we can get 6-7m for him I'd be delighted 

Wilder needs a **** lobotomy if he gives us 7 million for him, especially as they'll be in the prem :D 

Best of luck to him, but he's hit the jackpot if he gets that move

Edited by Stevo985

Â