Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

23 hours ago, ciggiesnbeer said:

Could be. I still hold a candle for him because of three things.

1.) He IS our player and is going to remain so until his contract is up or until someone wants to buy him. So attacking him for not scoring (which he is well aware of) serves zero purpose.

2.) He clearly has ability. To what level we can disagree but its worth noting he just helped get a team promoted to the Premier league and Blades fans (not the easiest bunch) dont think he is useless. Whether he is a premier league footballer is a different matter.

3.) He is a professional. he isnt a McCormack or Habib beye or Nzogbia. This guy wants to earn his money and puts the work in. he has also said openly (on ATVTV plus elsewhere) he is extremely disappointed in his lack of goals, he blames nobody but himself.

So yeah I dont blame fans here for not thinking much of him, thats fine, the evidence is there and he would agree. But i am not going to wash my hands of him or treat him like one of the other crooks we have had stealing a wage at the club. He isnt that and if we want to get any use or frankly money out of our purchase then supporting him be it by loan or bench appearances can only be a good thing imho.

I am more than happy to support any decision Dean Smith makes about Hogan, he is going to know better than any of us. If he plays him then he has my support. if he doesnt then I trust there is a very good reason. But lets not make life any harder for Hogan or Smith. Both of them want to do well for the club.

Ciggie, this is a forum not a board for assassinating our players, so I have empathy with your plea....but hey, I guess we pitch our judgement as fans of topics of AVFC. Sometimes we are right sometimes we are wrong, sometimes the club is wrong.

My penny worth is this.....His goals return is the stand out issue, but its not the whole story.....I have watched him play and focused on his contribution, I don't get sucked in by idle running or running that does not trouble the defender, its my opinion of course, but I am unconvinced in his play to cause an opponent any trouble.

Since his exploits at Brentford, he has joined a Steve Bruce Set up and then a Dean Smith Set up, the very manager who managed to get a tune out of him at Brentford.....Despite securing the  winning goal for Sheff Utd and to be fair it was a bit Bread & Butter, He has not pulled up any trees there either.....so he has been with a few cross sections of managers....Scott for me is a striker that relies heavily on being played in, as opposed to making goals for himself, nothing wrong with that many do, but they are not in quite so much control over their own destiny.

I am not convinced he will make it with us or Dean Smith, but I wished that I was wrong.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, Khizzy said:

If we can't shift him in the summer and don't go up then it'll be interesting to see if Smith sticks him in the squad or loans him out again. Could be that he stays in the squad if we don't get anyone in to replace Tammy (assuming that Chelsea want to sell or can't loan him out again because of that embargo). He hasn't shown himself to be good enough but if anyone can get a tune out of him then it's got to be Deano.

Bristol City want him. Maybe move him on for 2-3m although another loan could also make sense.

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Wilder needs a **** lobotomy if he gives us 7 million for him, especially as they'll be in the prem :D 

Best of luck to him, but he's hit the jackpot if he gets that move

It won't be £7m but if they like him and want a 3rd - 4th choice striker I guess a couple of million and even what we're paying him would be almost nothing in Premier League terms. They might also have half an eye on who they will have for another Championship campaign if they are relegated. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Apparently Sheffield United want to make the move permanent come the summer. Please let it be true. If we can get 6-7m for him I'd be delighted 

What’s the source for this story pl

45 minutes ago, sidcow said:

It won't be £7m but if they like him and want a 3rd - 4th choice striker I guess a couple of million and even what we're paying him would be almost nothing in Premier League terms. They might also have half an eye on who they will have for another Championship campaign when they are relegated. 

FTFY

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, wilko154 said:

I don't really get the hatred for Hogan, at the end of the day Aston Villa chose to pay the money and pay the wages for him. Aston Villa bought a player that they had to integrate into their squad and Aston Villa bought a player they then had to get the best out of. We have no one to blame but ourselves for this transfer.

When we signed Hogan he was banging in goals for fun in a Brentford side playing the type of football we are now playing, he came to us and Bruce set him up to fail (not intentionally) by having balls lumped forward to him. By the time we adjusted to suit his game (a very long time) his confidence was shot to pieces.

Granted he doesn't seem to be a 12 million footballer, but we paid that not him. By the sounds of things he's a player that always gives 100% in training and on the pitch, unlike some players we have had over the past few years.

Personally I wish him the best of luck whether that's with us next season or elsewhere. If Smith can get him firing again over the summer then we could save ourselves splashing more money on a second striker rather and strengthen elsewhere in the team. He's an Aston Villa player and we should be behind him until he is not.

I don't get the Hatred for any of our players. 

The abuse Elmo and Hourihane got a times in the season was a joke in my opinion 

• Like 4

Seems a nice enough bloke, just probably not good enough for where we are aiming to be anymore and definitely not worth the price tag that Steve Bruce apparently thought he was worth...

Not Scotts fault the club offered a shit-tonne of cash for him and healthy wage packet... He hasn't disrespected the club like Lescott did... Sometimes transfers work out and sometimes they don't...

• Like 3

and like someone else said... The fact that Dean Smith used to be his manager at Brentford and apparently got the best out of him there, and even he doesn't put Hogan as part of his plans at with us does make you think that maybe Dean has bigger plans for us

21 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I think he’s shit and Brentford saw us coming. The fact Smith didn’t even give him a chance proves this. 

The sooner we cut our loses the better for everyone. 

I do share that view.

Maybe it wasn't as clear cut as we presume......Dean Smith was the presiding manager when Scott joined us.

I wonder what Dean's overall thoughts were when Scott departed to us.....Dean being a big Villa Fan an all.....Maybe he was secretly hoping Hogan would join West Ham.

Its a strange one for me.

Edited by TRO

9 hours ago, wilko154 said:

I don't really get the hatred for Hogan, at the end of the day Aston Villa chose to pay the money and pay the wages for him. Aston Villa bought a player that they had to integrate into their squad and Aston Villa bought a player they then had to get the best out of. We have no one to blame but ourselves for this transfer.

When we signed Hogan he was banging in goals for fun in a Brentford side playing the type of football we are now playing, he came to us and Bruce set him up to fail (not intentionally) by having balls lumped forward to him. By the time we adjusted to suit his game (a very long time) his confidence was shot to pieces.

Granted he doesn't seem to be a 12 million footballer, but we paid that not him. By the sounds of things he's a player that always gives 100% in training and on the pitch, unlike some players we have had over the past few years.

Personally I wish him the best of luck whether that's with us next season or elsewhere. If Smith can get him firing again over the summer then we could save ourselves splashing more money on a second striker rather and strengthen elsewhere in the team. He's an Aston Villa player and we should be behind him until he is not.

Its no good hating the player, we are at fault for signing him.

However,Its been said many times by players like Shearer.....He said "A striker has  to adjust to his new surroundings, not necessarily the other way around"

The problem is Scott is so short on many attributes, he can't adjust satisfactorily.....He will just be ok if the team plays to his single dimensional way of playing....but,that is not always possible.

Edited by TRO

McCormack, Hogan, Gestede, Ayew, Helenius.... We really haven’t had much luck since Benteke. 

Cutting our losses would be good. Sheffield want him apparently, really surprised by this but good luck Scott, it would be good for both parties. We really need to buy two new forwards for next year if we go up.

16 minutes ago, thunderball said:

McCormack, Hogan, Gestede, Ayew, Helenius.... We really haven’t had much luck since Benteke. 

Cutting our losses would be good. Sheffield want him apparently, really surprised by this but good luck Scott, it would be good for both parties. We really need to buy two new forwards for next year if we go up.

or judgement?

just hoping we have improved on that.

• Haha 1

On 04/05/2019 at 07:27, Demitri_C said:

The mail

Thanks. Have now read this and it’s a long article about the prospects for Sheff U next season which includes the side comment at one point:

Up front he can't rely on Sharp to match this season's tally of 24 goals, and may try to make the loan moves of Cardiff's Gary Madine and Scott Hogan from Aston Villa permanent.”

This looks entirely speculative and hardly a major piece of briefing from the club itself.

Think people may be getting their hopes up unnecessarily.

• Like 2

On 04/05/2019 at 09:46, wilko154 said:

But nobody hates him. Everyone in here criticising him are also saying they like his attitude etc

hes just not very good. 

We all wish him the best, but he’s not good enough to play for us. 

• Like 1

On 04/05/2019 at 09:46, wilko154 said:

Think the main point of debate on this thread is between those who insist he is a good player whose career was ruined by Bruce and those who are trying to point out he isn’t such a great player.

Don’t think anyone hates him. He’s obviously a decent bloke who has battled against adversity in his earlier career and deserves credit for what he has achieved. Just wasn’t good enough to step up to Villa’s level. And it seems that is now the opinion of two managers, including one who played him a lot at Brentford. So nothing about Bruce “throwing him under the bus” etc.

• Like 2

Â