Scott Hogan

Demitri_C

On 04/05/2019 at 15:35, DJ_Villain said:

Seems a nice enough bloke, just probably not good enough for where we are aiming to be anymore and definitely not worth the price tag that Steve Bruce apparently thought he was worth...

Not Scotts fault the club offered a shit-tonne of cash for him and healthy wage packet... He hasn't disrespected the club like Lescott did... Sometimes transfers work out and sometimes they don't...

100% this - I just don't get the vitriol that comes his way. It just seems all very bizarre to me.

• Like 1

On 04/05/2019 at 10:42, thunderball said:

McCormack, Hogan, Gestede, Ayew, Helenius.... We really haven’t had much luck since Benteke. 

Cutting our losses would be good. Sheffield want him apparently, really surprised by this but good luck Scott, it would be good for both parties. We really need to buy two new forwards for next year if we go up.

I reckon Liverpool and Palace fans would (justifiably) think Tekkers is useless and we laughed all the way to the bank offloading him.

Agree with you, sometimes clubs suit players, sometimes they dont. If Hogan's career can take off at the Blades where it didnt here then fair play to him. Hell it worked out for Enda Stevens.

On 03/05/2019 at 09:57, Dave J said:

What I'm not expecting is to read the same old vitriol every time his name is mentioned to be honest.

Yes, I must agree with this. There's certainly nothing more tiresome than when one clicks on the thread of an Aston Villa striker to find the same one or two individuals repetitively denouncing them in vitriolic terms.

Good job it's never happened before I guess. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

55 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes, I must agree with this. There's certainly nothing more tiresome than when one clicks on the thread of an Aston Villa striker to find the same one or two individuals repetitively denouncing them in vitriolic terms.

And, again, there is no vitriol in this thread.

The only negative comments are regarding Hogan's ability. Nothing about the man or his attitude which are routinely commended. 

Straw men aplenty in here.

• Like 2

30 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The only negative comments are regarding Hogan's ability. Nothing about the man or his attitude which are routinely commended. 

Yes, that's true. 

7 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

You are completely missing the point - can I just reiterate that I am  not sticking up for Scott as a footballer - or his ability, but I do question why some people feel the need to bash him every time his name is mentioned.

As for you know who - we both know he went missing for five seasons in a row and had an appalling attitude towards the club/fans.

you cannot level this towards Scott Hogan - and this alone forms the basis of my point - nothing to do with ability - he is a villa player who simply tries his best and has never disrespected the shirt.

He should be allowed to move on with dignity and let's just acknowledge that this is one that never worked out on both sides.

The word hate is thrown about in various threads, be it players or old managers.

Even on the occasions when the word is casually used, it's not really hate is it.

(Micah Richards thread might be an exception) 

Hogan is mediocre, we paid way, way over what we should and offered him too big a contract, we also tried to use him as an isolated target man for half a season lumping balls over his head.

All in all yet another terrible waste of money.

8 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no intention of doing so - but it would not be a difficult task to copy and paste posts simply slating his footballing ability - I feel sure you would be more than happy to acknowledge your participation in this?

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

You are completely missing the point

I really don't think I am. 

3 hours ago, Dave J said:

I do question why some people feel the need to bash him every time his name is mentioned.

I knew I wasn't missing the point. 

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I really don't think I am. 

I knew I wasn't missing the point. 

You really are missing my point.

what I am saying is this - there are a small number on here - who have spent a long time bashing Scott every time his name gets mentioned - sure they might say something along the lines of him being a good pro - but only after calling him a sh-t football player - this is the very essence of my point - why feel the need to do this? We all know that Scott has not achieved here and will be moving on - some might say to continue to keep knocking the guy for his lack of ability  could fall under the heading of obsessive - would you not agree?

13 minutes ago, Dave J said:

You really are missing my point.

what I am saying is this - there are a small number on here - who have spent a long time bashing Scott every time his name gets mentioned - sure they might say something along the lines of him being a good pro - but only after calling him a sh-t football player - this is the very essence of my point - why feel the need to do this? We all know that Scott has not achieved here and will be moving on - some might say to continue to keep knocking the guy for his lack of ability  could fall under the heading of obsessive - would you not agree?

So if I’m understanding this right, you are objecting to anyone actually pointing out that Scott has underperformed and generally played poorly for Villa. 

In a thread about Scott Hogan.

Cool.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

So if I’m understanding this right, you are objecting to anyone actually pointing out that Scott has underperformed and generally played poorly for Villa. 

In a thread about Scott Hogan.

Cool.

Not in the slightest - I literally have no defence to make of Scott Hogans footballing ability or lack of it whatsoever - probably like you I am extremely disappointed that a player who cost a significant amount of money has performed so poorly.

My point is this - is it necessary to constantly criticise a player who has done nothing but try his best only to ultimately fall short of the level required at Aston Villa - would you not agree this point has been done enough now?

2 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

There is literally no vitriol for Scott Hogan, I have attended pretty much every home game since he signed. I have never heard a bad word  shouted at him, when he has warmed up all I heard is support and applause. When he has missed a chance just the usual groans, nothing personal, nobody singling him out. He has been backed, more so that most.

Saying that, if Kodjia (the lad who has put in performances Hogan could only dream of) misses a single chance, all I hear is useless this, lazy this, selfish that.
It is bizarre, and it does make me wonder why certain people, shall we say, are singled out for abuse and certain ones are not.

We all look for different things first in a player, hence our judgement is formed.

Savo was an extremely talented front man, who had his detractors.....Darren Bent was a prolific scorer in his career, who had his unbelievers, with us.....It has happened since the club was formed and it will continue to happen...we all favour/look for different attributes to value a player.

but equally how often do we see a player we don't fancy and they have a good game, how we drag our feet to admit it...its quite funny at times.

The other thing that tickles me is....Observation v Criticism.....Just because a fan picks up on a players flaw or downside, doesn't mean they begrudge everything they do....unless they say so.

for the record...I think Kodjia is more effective that Scott Hogan....but Tammy's work rate and intensity is better than both.

21 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Saying that, if Kodjia (the lad who has put in performances Hogan could only dream of) misses a single chance, all I hear is useless this, lazy this, selfish that.
It is bizarre, and it does make me wonder why certain people, shall we say, are singled out for abuse and certain ones are not.

Because he's a young black man with talent, money and a snazzy hair style so he must have a bad attitude, you mean? Just so everyone is clear on that. I fully agree.

Hogan, whilst he does run around a bit granted, often floated through entire games having had 13 touches. I say often, I mean basically every week. 13 touches in 71 minutes against Hull in a 3-0 Sheffield win, for example. But that graft, we are told, is 'all fans really want to see'...

Personally I'd rather see the potential in a player, both as an individual and as part of a unit, to actually go out and beat teams. Kodjia might be a bit mad, he *might* occasionally drift off into another world, but my god he can play. I'm not sure what Hogan brings other than this 'world class movement'. 

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Because he's a young black man with talent, money and a snazzy hair style so he must have a bad attitude, you mean? Just so everyone is clear on that. I fully agree.

Hogan, whilst he does run around a bit granted, often floated through entire games having had 13 touches. I say often, I mean basically every week. 13 touches in 71 minutes against Hull in a 3-0 Sheffield win, for example. But that graft, we are told, is 'all fans really want to see'...

Personally I'd rather see the potential in a player, both as an individual and as part of a unit, to actually go out and beat teams. Kodjia might be a bit mad, he *might* occasionally drift off into another world, but my god he can play. I'm not sure what Hogan brings other than this 'world class movement'. 

I would like to think your first line is not true( and i can detect you see it as sad too).....when I see my team play, I see 10 claret & Blue shirts, that's all I see....Their skin colour is totally irrelevant Imv and has no link to any kind of Attitude they adopt, good or bad.

I fails me beyond belief, how any fans can, see it as a point of reference.....I have always seen skin colour as a total irrelevance......I never see my skin colour as any kind of relevance, Chinese don't seem to make reference to it, why should black people feel any different?

I can tell you feel much like me Dave.....and he is a talented player, with a cracking hair do.

Edited by TRO

18 hours ago, Czechlad said:

I talked with a Sheffield Utd supporter, and he said they can no way afford Hogan. We are paying him what 35k a week? Utd highest wage is 20k apparently. 

35k wont be too much of a jump for a premier club!

Just now, Nigel said:

35k wont be too much of a jump for a premier club!

But if their 3rd choice (?) striker has that then I'd imagine quite a few players would like a hefty pay rise as well?

Â