Neil Taylor

One For The Road

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Give the guy a break! 

Just being honest, in 75% of games at home we will be on the front foot and dominate so he just needs to fill a position. It is the games when you are up against it or away from home where he is pressed and pushed and hurried he becomes an absolute bomb scare. He is an awful footballer. January cannot come quick enough.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, rodders0223 said:

Just being honest, in 75% of games at home we will be on the front foot and dominate so he just needs to fill a position. It is the games when you are up against it or away from home where he is pressed and pushed and hurried he becomes an absolute bomb scare. He is an awful footballer. January cannot come quick enough.

As gets repeated numerous times after every game. Can’t we just say he was ok today and be happy about it?

Bolton looked to target him early doors, playing the ball either behind him or over his head. However, he grew into the game and showed some good touches on the ball. Linked with Jack and Kodj and put in a couple of good crosses. 

Would still look to improve this position in January, but it gives us some hope until we have a replacement.

Edited by mikeyp102

Diabolical under high ball in defence twice in first half. After beginning of second half we pretty much controlled the game and his link up play in attack was great. Probably the best half I've seen him in a Villa shirt. That said it was Bolton and not comfortable with his defensive frailties

I'm not a fan, he is not a good player and is very poor technically. But one positive is that since Smith has come in he has been very progressive with his play which is crucial for us. He always looks to pass forward not and at point point played an excellent ball through to Kodjia. We need to replace him going forward but I think we can cope till January. 

• Like 1

Moving forward we will need two new full backs (or for Bree/De Laet to step up at RB), but I think Smith is right trying to keep the back four (five) settled as much as possible for now.

Thought both Taylor and Hutton were 'ok' last night, both better in the second half (when we had our better spell).

On a side note, I think Joe Bryan would have been excellent for us playing under Smith. 

• Like 1

Thought he was poor and we were fortunate that his errors didn't lead to goals.

He failed to close down the ball adequately a number of times to stop crosses coming in and he was out of position far too often.

Given how much possession our full backs get a new LB must be fairly high on the January wish list for Smith.

• Like 1

On 02/11/2018 at 23:24, mikeyp102 said:

Bolton looked to target him early doors, playing the ball either behind him or over his head. However, he grew into the game and showed some good touches on the ball. Linked with Jack and Kodj and put in a couple of good crosses. 

Would still look to improve this position in January, but it gives us some hope until we have a replacement.

This.

I felt he had an improved game on Friday night compared to some of the other games, okay it was Bolton he did well.

Is he just rubbish? Does he just need a run of games to see we do have a decent player? Who knows.

If he can keep showing signs of improvement then he might just be useful until we get to January.

He was ok Friday. The highlight being an absolute peach of a cross towards the back post which should have resulted in a header on target (it may have been when Adomah when close with his overhead kick).  He was quite solid, didn't get bullied, but one or 2 long diagonals had him scrambling back.  That said, the same happened to Hutton once or twice too.  They came with a plan to isolate our full backs, probably knowing they'd be given license to attack.  Luckily, Axel/Chester had good games.

6.5/10. 

6 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

Taylor can't be here on a cheap wage given he stepped down from the premier league. He's also not very good on the ball, can't see how he fits in with the clubs' vision.

First out the door for me and the weakest link in the first team IMO. He can't really attack or defend well, so I don't see the point of him as a footballer let alone a left back. 

For me he looks a little scared to make a tackle and has been that way since his tackle on Coleman while playing fro Wales.  I think the backlash he received after that has out him on the back foot.

His performances also dropped from that point.  A bit more confidence and maybe get him back to where he was when he first came, when the majority of us considered him a great improvement at left back.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 05/11/2018 at 12:20, NIVillan said:

For me he looks a little scared to make a tackle and has been that way since his tackle on Coleman while playing fro Wales.  I think the backlash he received after that has out him on the back foot.

His performances also dropped from that point.  A bit more confidence and maybe get him back to where he was when he first came, when the majority of us considered him a great improvement at left back.

This is spot on IMO!

• 2 weeks later...
Â