Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

Goodluck to Birkir I say. He had his moment and maybe he can get a part in the tv show Vikings now.

He didn't look like he was bothered much today, which really shows a players true colours in the end. It's a shame because he's had a good bit of time at Villa and you'd think you want to try on your very last game at your club. A player who leaves should want to leave a long standing impression with the very fans who will remember you for what hopefully you would want to be a very long time.

Good luck to him in the future. But he’s not good enough to play here unfortunately. I imagine we won’t see him in a villa shirt again. 

• Like 1

Let's face it, this is the biggest club he will ever play for or probably ever thought he would play for.

He's probably been paid more money than he ever thought he would earn. 

Basically he was never good enough and should never have been signed, it's not his fault we saw fit to sign him and you can't blame him for taking the contract offered. 

He's like that guy at work inexplicable promoted beyond his ability. 

He'll leave this summer for sure. 

I think there is a decentish championship midfielder in there somewhere. 

I think the ‘attitude problem’ has been a recent thing and reflective of the fact he knew he wouldn’t get a start, even if he did ok. His defensive cover isn’t as good as Whelan’s and he doesn’t offer as much as Hourihane from an attacking perspective. The other two slots are taken by Grealish and McGinn and well yeah, let’s just say he’s not quite at that level. 

I think he could do a ‘box to box’ job for a mid-table side and actually be quite effective for somebody, just not us. 

• Like 2

On 06/05/2019 at 11:06, wazzap24 said:

I think there is a decentish championship midfielder in there somewhere. 

I think the ‘attitude problem’ has been a recent thing and reflective of the fact he knew he wouldn’t get a start, even if he did ok. His defensive cover isn’t as good as Whelan’s and he doesn’t offer as much as Hourihane from an attacking perspective. The other two slots are taken by Grealish and McGinn and well yeah, let’s just say he’s not quite at that level. 

I think he could do a ‘box to box’ job for a mid-table side and actually be quite effective for somebody, just not us. 

This ☝️

I admire the fact that he turned down a move in January as he wanted to stay and fight for his place, takes character and yes maybe as a result of that failure he wasn't up to scratch mentally on Sunday. However I think some of the comments in this thread are a tad harsh.

He was/is a 'Steve Bruce player', blood and thunder, capable of popping up in a big moment. Football by the numbers kinda guy. But when you're asking him to play quick one-two touch football in tight spaces and be a part of a pressing unit, forget about it. He's lost. He remains however the kinda player who could do a job for Cardiff next season, as an example, and maybe be part of a promotion push again. He just doesn't have the skillset we require nor does he have a Premier League ceiling, obviously. 

So for that reason it is time to move on, but I wish him all the best.

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

This ☝️

I admire the fact that he turned down a move in January as he wanted to stay and fight for his place, takes character and yes maybe as a result of that failure he wasn't up to scratch mentally on Sunday. However I think some of the comments in this thread are a tad harsh.

He was/is a 'Steve Bruce player', blood and thunder, capable of popping up in a big moment. Football by the numbers kinda guy. But when you're asking him to play quick one-two touch football in tight spaces and be a part of a pressing unit, forget about it. He's lost. He remains however the kinda player who could do a job for Cardiff next season, as an example, and maybe be part of a promotion push again. He just doesn't have the skillset we require nor does he have a Premier League ceiling, obviously. 

So for that reason it is time to move on, but I wish him all the best.

That is all true....but you do need back up if a player gets injured.....for now, he is ok.

Just now, TRO said:

That is all true....but you do need back up if a player gets injured.....for now, he is ok.

He's 6th choice for a 3 man midfield. We'd have to be really unlucky to have to call on him in the playoffs and I don't see much point entering next season with him in the squad. 

31 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He's 6th choice for a 3 man midfield. We'd have to be really unlucky to have to call on him in the playoffs and I don't see much point entering next season with him in the squad. 

Sorry Dave.....Having a "Senior Moment" thought we was talking Lansbury for some reason.

No, I think we should replace Birkir.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...
Â