Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

44 minutes ago, Jonsi77 said:

No, why do you think this is Thor? Is it because im telling you guys that he is one of few current player who has experience at highest level in football which will be very valuable in the Premiership? Please answer this if you have something logical to say.

Well you aren't being logical yourself.

He literally couldnt deal with the championship, he showed nothing and to be honest looked a bang average championship player.

There is nothing really to argue about, he won't be in the first 11 and is almost certain to not even be a backup unless multiple people are injured in one position.

No amount of saying he's prem class is going to get him in that first team or even close to it, that's the logic of the situation I am afraid.

• Like 1

On 29/06/2019 at 19:33, Stevo985 said:

Westwood was absolutely finished here. When we dropped down to the Championship he was awful. So it was right for him to leave us.

Off topic, but I have zero recollection of Westwood playing for us in the Championship, I had to double check. How long were we down there!?

4 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

Off topic, but I have zero recollection of Westwood playing for us in the Championship, I had to double check. How long were we down there!?

Yeah he was here when we got relegated and played the first few games. Moved to Burnley before the end of that summer window IIRC.

I was quite a big supporter of Westwood but he was awful in the Championship. Don't know if his motivation had gone or he already had an eye on a move or he was just shit,  but he was crap when we were down here.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Well you aren't being logical yourself.

He literally couldnt deal with the championship, he showed nothing and to be honest looked a bang average championship player.

There is nothing really to argue about, he won't be in the first 11 and is almost certain to not even be a backup unless multiple people are injured in one position.

No amount of saying he's prem class is going to get him in that first team or even close to it, that's the logic of the situation I am afraid.

I have never say that he is going to/should be in starting 11 or that he is going to be in the squad. What i have been saying is that his ability as a football player fits better in Premier league than Championship. There is huge difference between this league and players who has done well Premiership have vanished in Championship league due to totally different football. Player with his experience is much more valuable in Premier League than Championship. Birkir was in the middle along with Gylfi Sigurdsson in Iceland win over Turkey for three weeks ago and they where MOM by far. Turkey won World champions France three days earlier. If you put this in some kind of context to high quality international player and player who has change of playing some role in Villa squad than he must have at least tiny change.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Jonsi77 said:

What kind of football do you think will be played other then defensively? newly promoted team who will (or at least should) be aiminig towards keeping their spot in the league.

Well Smith has said he wants to try to win games, not to just defend. That's why I was putting some doubt in my message. 

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Yeah he was here when we got relegated and played the first few games. Moved to Burnley before the end of that summer window IIRC.

I was quite a big supporter of Westwood but he was awful in the Championship. Don't know if his motivation had gone or he already had an eye on a move or he was just shit,  but he was crap when we were down here.

According to Wiki he played 23 games for us and left on the last day of January! Hard to believe. 

I think he was actually improving and played all games in Bruce’s new manager bounce. 

It’s pretty much a season to forget though.

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

According to Wiki he played 23 games for us and left on the last day of January! Hard to believe. 

I think he was actually improving and played all games in Bruce’s new manager bounce. 

It’s pretty much a season to forget though.

Oh shit! Shows how forgettable that period was then!

• Like 3

Wow I entirely blanked out that Westwood was with us in the Championship that long.

But yeah I wasnt sad to see him go, he really was poor towards the end. Win/win/win really. He did alright for Burnely and we got him off the books with some pocket money thrown in.

6 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

I too was a Westwood fan, I'll give him the credit that his confidence was completely shot and it's hard to imagine he was unaware how a lot of very angry and depressed Villa fans felt about him.

4 minutes ago, VillaJ100 said:

I couldn't stand Westwood absolutely farcical player who offered absolutely nothing. 

Been better than good at Burnley. Would have him a heartbeat over Thor who is masquerading as a professional footballer

• Like 1

17 hours ago, AVTuco said:

Well Smith has said he wants to try to win games, not to just defend. That's why I was putting some doubt in my message. 

Sorry about the tone in my message :) Im not sure about his idea regarding formation but i guess he will be playing two systems and i think it would be good to have at least two extra dcm in the squad.

3 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Been better than good at Burnley. Would have him a heartbeat over Thor who is masquerading as a professional footballer

Yep.

I mean don't get me wrong, I wouldn't want Westwood back.

But if you offered me a swap with Bjarnasson it would be an absolute no brainer.

3 hours ago, VillaJ100 said:

I couldn't stand Westwood absolutely farcical player who offered absolutely nothing. 

I cant remember him playing for Villa but i saw him last season with Burnley in 10-15 games and he was standout player in most of this game along with Dwight Mcneil and Johann Gudmundsson.I think his caliber of player would be more than great in this Premiership battle.

On 30/06/2019 at 18:22, Jonsi77 said:

National team football at highest level is similar quality as Premier League and i remember many player from highest quality who have dissapear in Championship due to power football. By your opinion do you think this divisions are similar? I remember 2 of hes goals for Villa last two year and there you can see highest quality one vs Wolves

And here vs reading time 4:40

For balance how about including the one he missed against Preston away from 1 yard out!

17 hours ago, Stockport_Villain said:

For balance how about including the one he missed against Preston away from 1 yard out!

Great point - i remember this it was first game after he came out of surgery in zero form. And many of the supporters didn want to see him again. Hi missed sitter in one meter or less :) But he got himself into this chance because of his quality understanding of the game and where did other Villa player postion themself!! They where not able to see this change. All football team in highest  need to have player who can sniff up changes that other players dont see, they will miss some of theme but in whole season it will be huge value. 

57 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

Think Birkir will be with us till his contract runs out. Very limited player technically, but if we need to set up shop, Birkir is a good shout for left mid. 

...and whilst I expect a long old season, it it comes to that, and Deano shits the bed and resorts to that then I will be very disappointed. Might aswell get Mcleish back.

On 01/07/2019 at 19:49, AVTuco said:

So he’s been a rapper, an actor and now he’s trying his hand at football?! Is there anything the Fresh Prince can’t do?

Edited by Rob182

Â