Birkir Bjarnason

Barney_avfc

I don't give a fark what he does at Burnley, I saw pretty much all his games for Villa before I stopped going. He was a shit player in a shit team with a shit manager.

In my opinion, of course.

• Like 3

I think we're going to be trouble if we ever find ourselves relying on Lansbury and Bjarnason for any amount of time in the Premier league. Not really sure why people expect Lansbury to come good, he's been at the club for nearly three years now, and has done nothing to suggest that he will, has been just as much of a poor signing as Hogan, if not worse, only difference is that Lansbury didn't cost quite as much, but we've still paid him a fortune in wages, and chances are he got a pay rise upon promotion as well.

Hopefully we bring in a couple more midfielders.

11 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

I don't give a fark what he does at Burnley, I saw pretty much all his games for Villa before I stopped going. He was a shit player in a shit team with a shit manager.

In my opinion, of course.

I normally agree with you Rob on most things and while I also agree that he was absolutely shit for us I do think he has become a much better player for Burnley with a better manager in a better team. He would be straight in our team as the player he is right this minute now with Smith and our squad. He isnt the player he was before.

• Like 4

44 minutes ago, useless said:

Can't imagine Lansbury or Bjarnason being a regular in any Premier league side, let alone being their fans' and players' player of the season.

Large

Wasn't Stephen Ireland our player of the year one season? 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Yeah and he was our only decent player in an awful season.

He was shit like the rest of them, just slightly less shit. 

That's my point, Burnley had a shit season just gone hence Westwood who is risk free would have looked good. Take no responsibility, just pass it on and not make many tackles either 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Junxs said:

He was shit like the rest of them, just slightly less shit. 

That's my point, Burnley had a shit season just gone hence Westwood who is risk free would have looked good. Take no responsibility, just pass it on and not make many tackles either 

I was one of the few that really liked Ireland that season, I thought he was great. But I think you're selling Westwood short. He looked Burnley's best player every time I've seen them play. He's much more industrious than he ever was with us.

4 hours ago, Ingram85 said:

I normally agree with you Rob on most things and while I also agree that he was absolutely shit for us I do think he has become a much better player for Burnley with a better manager in a better team. He would be straight in our team as the player he is right this minute now with Smith and our squad. He isnt the player he was before.

Westwood was absolutely finished here. When we dropped down to the Championship he was awful. So it was right for him to leave us.

But I agree with you that he's a better player now.

It was clear when he first arrived that he had something about him, and he looked like he'd grow into a good player but, like many others here, it didn't work out. 

I wouldn't have him back, but he IS better than Lansbury. And it's insulting to compare him to BB. Bjarnason is an awful player. If he's anywhere near our team next season then we have serious issues.

• Like 4

On 27/06/2019 at 20:58, DaveAV1 said:

That’ll be because one is shit and the other is made of glass...😎

Think Bjarnason could find a club somewhere in Europe. Lansbury no chamce

• Like 2

I like Bjarnason. As long as he’s given a VERY limited role (ie: just sprint about in the DM role, tackle, play it simple and hold that position), then I think he’s decent.

Unfortunately, he’s rarely stuck to that plan, and so I expect him to shipped out and probably play at a Europa League level team like Veretout was IIRC.

4 hours ago, Rob182 said:

I like Bjarnason. As long as he’s given a VERY limited role (ie: just sprint about in the DM role, tackle, play it simple and hold that position), then I think he’s decent.

Unfortunately, he’s rarely stuck to that plan, and so I expect him to shipped out and probably play at a Europa League level team like Veretout was IIRC.

I think even Bruce realised he's a liability at DM after the Burton game

Remember that incredible cameo away at Forest I think it was. Came on with about 10 mins left and just looked phenomenal. Controlled whole game and we saw it out either a tight win or a draw we were previously clinging onto.

That's very much been the exception in his level of performance.

On 29/06/2019 at 16:52, useless said:

I wouldn't be surprised if Bjarnason left before the start of the season.

If you rank midfielders in terms of importance.

1. Jack

2. McGinn

3. New DM

4. Hourihane

5. Jota (when Jack is injured).

6. Lansbury (I think he made bench in one of play off games)

So even with very depleted numbers Bjarni is still well down the pecking order. We'll sign another two midfielders at least in next few weeks and yes wouldn't shock me if he's let go for small fee on transfer deadline day.

13 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

If you rank midfielders in terms of importance.

1. Jack

2. McGinn

3. New DM

4. Hourihane

5. Jota (when Jack is injured).

6. Lansbury (I think he made bench in one of play off games)

So even with very depleted numbers Bjarni is still well down the pecking order. We'll sign another two midfielders at least in next few weeks and yes wouldn't shock me if he's let go for small fee on transfer deadline day.

I think you are not being fair regarding Bjarnason. Championship football and Premier League are totally different. In championsship its 70% power and 30% technique (understanding of the game and how possison themeself) In premier league its 70% technique and 30% power. Bjarnason played in begining of june 2019 national team game in euro qualific. in Icelandic win over Turkey 2-1.Birkir Bjarnason assisted winning goal and was voted along with Gylfi Sigurdsson Man of the match.Turkey won France in same tournement 3 days earlier. Birkir Bjarnason has capped 82 high quality national football including euro and world cup final tournament. Birkir is not power player therefore his not well suitable for Championship. He has excellent undertstanding and can possison himself very well. Im sure that hes ability will shine through in Premier Leaguer where he plays with and against player who has similar quality. 

On 30/06/2019 at 18:02, VillaChris said:

He's always done well for Iceland. He did well at times for us under Steve Bruce with his energy. I wouldn't say composure on the ball is one of his strengths though.

Think best precis on him was from @dont_do_it_doug. a few pages back.

He's not going to be a regular at all for us in the premier league.

National team football at highest level is similar quality as Premier League and i remember many player from highest quality who have dissapear in Championship due to power football. By your opinion do you think this divisions are similar? I remember 2 of hes goals for Villa last two year and there you can see highest quality one vs Wolves

And here vs reading time 4:40

Â