Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

Sheff Utd wasn't the one for him. Their midfield was always settled with the old boys of Fleck, Norwood, Berge etc.

If he finds the right club that will give him more of a role and consistent playing time I am sure he can still make a big mpact I'm sure. Watching that video of scoring goals in PL shows 2 years can be a long time in football. I think his mobility has declined a lot , even for a 31 year old but really he should be able to put to bed a pretty nothing season and go again.

Maybe QPR under Beale or join the ex Villains at Luton.

4 minutes ago, Xela said:

it was a good era for us. A fan as manager, a fan as captain, lots of likeable players. 

Goes to show that the Premier League isn't the be all and end all of football. 

After the toxicity of those twilight PL years - it was a breath of fresh air - once we got rid of certain players, dodgy owners, and managers.

Conor will always have a special place in our hearts.

27 minutes ago, Xela said:

it was a good era for us. A fan as manager, a fan as captain, lots of likeable players. 

Goes to show that the Premier League isn't the be all and end all of football. 

True. But I think it only was because we were pretty successful over those 3 years in the championship. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DCJonah said:

True. But I think it only was because we were pretty successful over those 3 years in the championship. 

We weren't really though.  First season was totally unremarkable. Second season we stumbled to the play off final and were well beaten. 

The only golden period was the second half of the third season when we went on that mad run and us winning the play offs felt like a  inevitably. 

Shows how shit Bruce was though.  If Deano had been in charge from the beginning we would probably have walked the league and so we bloody well should have with the likes of Abraham, Grealish, Mings, McGinn. That's 4 quality Premier League players there surrounded by top quality Championship players like Uncle Albert and Hourihane. 

It was like 2.5 years of dirge was suddenly swept aside.  Bruce is so shit, pretty much the same happened when he left Newcastle. 

I think when people talk about how enjoyable The Championship was they've forgotten 2.5 years of it and only remembering the last half season. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sidcow said:

We weren't really though.  First season was totally unremarkable. Second season we stumbled to the play off final and were well beaten. 

The only golden period was the second half of the third season when we went on that mad run and us winning the play offs felt like a  inevitably. 

Shows how shit Bruce was though.  If Deano had been in charge from the beginning we would probably have walked the league and so we bloody well should have with the likes of Abraham, Grealish, Mings, McGinn. That's 4 quality Premier League players there surrounded by top quality Championship players like Uncle Albert and Hourihane. 

It was like 2.5 years of dirge was suddenly swept aside.  Bruce is so shit, pretty much the same happened when he left Newcastle. 

I think when people talk about how enjoyable The Championship was they've forgotten 2.5 years of it and only remembering the last half season. 

I sometimes go back and read the reactions here from some of the games back in 2017 or 18 , they were bleak times.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Kuwabatake Sanjuro said:

I sometimes go back and read the reactions here from some of the games back in 2017 or 18 , they were bleak times.

It was actually a Deano team but I was away to Wigan in 2019 when we lost 3 nil. Drizzle all day and night, totally miserable experience.  But then I was also away at Bolton a couple of months later. Was brilliant. 

22 hours ago, Zatman said:

I always respect Hourihane as he stood with his team mates though some called him a bottler/coward on here like Targett.

I lost count how many tackles/challenges he didn't contest when he was playing with us. Fair enough it wasnt part of his game but the criticism was legitimate when he had the physicality of a wet sponge. I'll leave it there, as I said I wasn't a fan of his. Some were, best of luck to them.  

2 hours ago, sidcow said:

It was actually a Deano team but I was away to Wigan in 2019 when we lost 3 nil. Drizzle all day and night, totally miserable experience.  But then I was also away at Bolton a couple of months later. Was brilliant. 

Hause debut that game was a complete shocker 

I think Wigan went down and we went up 😂

• Like 1

6 hours ago, sidcow said:

Even though Bruce was shit, 2017/18 was a very enjoyable season from about October on. We were winning like 3 out of 4/5 games. It was probably a decade or more since we won so much, it was a weird feeling as a Villa fan. We just couldn't beat our rivals when it counted. Cardiff finishing 2nd ahead of us was embarrassing to be honest. 

• Like 2

Finally, a player that leaves us on good terms. After Grealish’s antics and Targett not wanting to fight for his place and saying how “Newcastle is his fave dressing room”…CH has left with nothing but good will and still a lot of love between the player and fans. A decent bloke and will be sorely missed. 

Â