Conor Hourihane

dont_do_it_doug.

6 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Fans are only ever happy when a player leaves because we deem them no longer needed or not good enough. Barry, Milner, Young, Downing, Benteke, Delph, Grealish all left to better themselves and it spiked a reaction every time.

Conor, Adomah, Elphick all left for worse clubs but got a good reaction. 

Benteke sparked a reaction?

26 minutes ago, AndyM3000 said:

Fans are only ever happy when a player leaves because we deem them no longer needed or not good enough. Barry, Milner, Young, Downing, Benteke, Delph, Grealish all left to better themselves and it spiked a reaction every time.

That’s not true with myself. I only ever had a reaction from players who left in the wrong manner. Players like Barry, Grealish, Delph all did us dirty. 

20 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Benteke sparked a reaction?

The Benteke one wasn't as bad as others but because he went to Pool a lot of people still didn't really wish him well. I think that was the season before we got relegated and Lerner was trying to sell the club, the general mood was low already around that time.

But the point I'm making is its easier for players to leave on good terms with fans when they aren't moving on to better things. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

The Benteke one wasn't as bad as others but because he went to Pool a lot of people still didn't really wish him well. I think that was the season before we got relegated and Lerner was trying to sell the club, the general mood was low already around that time.

But the point I'm making is its easier for players to leave on good terms with fans when they aren't moving on to better things. 

I get what you’re saying but still don’t think that’s strictly true. Look at Mellberg when he left. He got a hero’s reaction and left on incredible terms. It’s the manner you leave, not why you leave. Players will always get poor reactions when they say they love a club and want to stay and then leave at the first whiff of the big time - I.e Barry, Grealish and Delph. 

Edited by CLARETANDBLUEFOXY

2 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Did any of those in bold spark a negative reaction? I don't remember it that way. Further, Downing was so inconsequential was there any kind of reaction?

14 minutes ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

I get what you’re saying but still don’t think that’s strictly true. Look at Mellberg when he left. He got a hero’s reaction and left on incredible terms. It’s the manner you leave, not why you leave. Players will always get poor reactions when they say they love a club and want to stay and then leave at the first whiff of the big time - I.e Barry, Grealish and Delph. 

Mellberg left for a team in Italy, it's no surprise people were better able to accept that.

I just think fans get disappointed when certain players leave more than anything. We are a club that for years has been so close to building something positive and becoming a real force and then over and over again the players we hope take us to the next level are poached by the “top six”. It’s understandable that fans get frustrated but I don’t think anyone has got a really poor reaction in recent times apart from the three I mentioned earlier. 

23 minutes ago, Don_Simon said:

Did any of those in bold spark a negative reaction? I don't remember it that way. Further, Downing was so inconsequential was there any kind of reaction?

Milner was booed when he returned, as was Young but that might be more down to him sticking his leg into Clark and winning a pen at Old Trafford, he did the same thing for us for years before that though. 

2 hours ago, CLARETANDBLUEFOXY said:

That’s not true with myself. I only ever had a reaction from players who left in the wrong manner. Players like Barry, Grealish, Delph all did us dirty. 

It's not true with me either, probably more younger fans but they are the loudest on social media. These players don't get long in the game, if they can move to better themselves then I expect them to do it. It wont be long before Martinez might attract a top CL club and he will want to go and test himself like Grealish has, wonder how that would go down. We haven't had a situation where we are on the up and our players are being poached since the MON days really, we might find out soon.

• Like 1

On 12/06/2022 at 11:48, AndyM3000 said:

Not necessarily true.

Ive always been fond of Mellberg and I haven’t met a Villa fan that isnt

On 12/06/2022 at 14:51, HanoiVillan said:

Mellberg left for a team in Italy, it's no surprise people were better able to accept that.

Well… yeah?!

Why would you want to see someone who you held in such high regard play against you for a team in the same country?!

Im sure had we qualified for Europe and played against them, he would have received a hero’s welcome…

Who wouldn’t move to Italy?

Mountains, beaches, great food, culture…

Then you compare it to the bombsites that are Manchester and Liverpool…

Id rather win a throw in for Villa than a trophy for any other English club… but the opportunity to work abroad and “win trophies” as part of my job?

That sounds incredibly appealing

Edited by DJ_Villain
Missed a bit

On 13/06/2022 at 19:14, DJ_Villain said:

Well… yeah?!

Why would you want to see someone who you held in such high regard play against you for a team in the same country?!

Im sure had we qualified for Europe and played against them, he would have received a hero’s welcome…

Who wouldn’t move to Italy?

Mountains, beaches, great food, culture…

Then you compare it to the bombsites that are Manchester and Liverpool…

Id rather win a throw in for Villa than a trophy for any other English club… but the opportunity to work abroad and “win trophies” as part of my job?

That sounds incredibly appealing

Peroni, Moretti.......

On 12/06/2022 at 12:17, AndyM3000 said:

If you want to stay in fans' good books then you're better off not being good enough to ever get a move to a bigger club and just hang around long enough for the club to get rid of you instead.

People like Alan Hutton more than Jack Grealish

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

If you want to stay in fans' good books then you're better off not being good enough to ever get a move to a bigger club and just hang around long enough for the club to get rid of you instead.

People like Alan Hutton more than Jack Grealish

I understand the general point you're making and generally agree. But i'm not sure Grealish is the best example, Jack being "one of us" was always going to cut deeper than other players. Milner for example is quite liked by Villa fans even though he left for Man City. 

11 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

I understand the general point you're making and generally agree. But i'm not sure Grealish is the best example, Jack being "one of us" was always going to cut deeper than other players. Milner for example is quite liked by Villa fans even though he left for Man City. 

I dont like Milner. He was one of the biggest snakes of all. Spent all summer avoiding the transfer talk and could have just said he was leaving 

Also I think only Downing spent less time here 

16 minutes ago, Zatman said:

I dont like Milner. He was one of the biggest snakes of all. Spent all summer avoiding the transfer talk and could have just said he was leaving 

You're very much in the minority on this, I suspect. IMO, if he'd publicly courted the move in the press, he'd have been slated. Instead he kept his head down, privately told our club he'd be interested in the move, and stayed professional while he was still our player, including scoring a goal in his last game for us.

• Like 3

On 12/06/2022 at 14:51, HanoiVillan said:

IIRC he was played at right back, when most of us seen him as a centre back, of which,I think he did too......that may have played a part.

But, didn't he buy a load of shirts for the fans?...... sweet touch,that.

proper strong character Melly.....Like Conor fan favourite.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 2

I have no ill feeling anymore to anyone that leaves Villa to progress their career. It'd disappointing but it is life . I used to get angry but realise now grown men that get upset at another grown man earning more money and working for a "better" company are just a bit weird.

But yeah , as above, football fans are weird because Alan Hutton was one of the shittest footballers I can remember us having and he rinsed us for near on 10 years, but he had a skinhead and snapped some people in half now and again. Legund.

Gabby. Legund.

• Like 1

Â