Henri Lansbury

Phumfeinz

He shouldn't play as a DM, he should collect FROM one.

He shouldn't play as a Nimber 10, or behind a striker, he should provide passes and support TO them.

On the few occasions he's been played in his proper role he's looked very good.

Yesterday being an example. Half hour in the right role.

But he is being continually wasted.

• Like 4

A penalty should be taken low and hard as close to the corner as possible giving the GK as little chance as possible to save it. It also looked to me obvious as to what side he was going out the shot, maybe that was a lucky guess on my part, and Gomes'.

9 hours ago, terrytini said:

He shouldn't play as a DM, he should collect FROM one.

He shouldn't play as a Nimber 10, or behind a striker, he should provide passes and support TO them.

On the few occasions he's been played in his proper role he's looked very good.

Yesterday being an example. Half hour in the right role.

But he is being continually wasted.

I agree with the majority of that.....just unsure how good he really is.

i guess i will have to see him perform in a better team, like we now have.

i know you feel someone or something is holding him back....i don't subscribe to to that to the degree you do.

Edited by TRO

12 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

That's why your a pro footballer and he's not i suppose.

Do you have to be young, in peak physical condition and have great footballing talent to know that a goalkeeper will struggle to save a shot placed furthest away from him?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with the majority of that.....just unsure how good he really is.

i guess i will have to see him perform in a better team, like we now have.

i know you feel someone or something is holding him back....i don't subscribe to to that to the degree you do.

Yes I'm not sure how good he is either.

Lets face it he's a £1m player in the EFL !! Sometimes we forget where we are and who we can get.

But his best position would help and he's shown he's a pretty good player at this level.

Not long to wait one way or the other !

• Like 1

Had a decent game vs Watford, looked high energy and interested, made things happen and looked to bring others into the game. This is exactly what we need. Him, Whelan and Elmo could transform our midfield. I think they will work well with Hogan too.

45 minutes ago, skarroki said:

Do you have to be young, in peak physical condition and have great footballing talent to know that a goalkeeper will struggle to save a shot placed furthest away from him?

Nope. But I'd imagine you'd have to be playing the game at a pretty decent level and a fairly competent penalty kick taker, which lansbury is and you and i are not. Doesn't matter if u highlighted everything wrong he did. Fans have that luxury.  He scored 2 in pre season and missed one. Big deal.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Johnnyp said:

Never said those words..at all. I was being ironic that a fan says how a pro footballer should take a penalty.  That's all.

Which is exactly what I am taking issue with. But oh well, no matter. 

5 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Never said those words..at all. I was being ironic that a fan says how a pro footballer should take a penalty.  That's all.

It's the one of the first things you're taught to be fair when starting out. The keeper doesn't like a pen low and hard. His criticism is right.

Rubbish pen, wrong height and close to the keeper. Get back to basics lad.

• Like 1

For me this is the one that needs to step up next season.  I like him.  I like the effort 'n all.  I like the attitude and the bit of nasty.  But his role and his affect on the team is still a bit undefined for me.  Hourihane is a creator.  That's his job..  Whelan and Jedinak are destroyers and ball retrievers.  Whelan even seems to have a pass on him.  But Lansbury is .... what?  A bit of everything, resulting in not very much?  Is he trying too hard resulting in no role and therefore impacting everyone else's role too?  I'm not sure.  It's not like with Bjarnason where I have doubts about his ability.  I don't (yet) doubt Lansbury's ability, but he needs to take games by the scruff of the neck and make an impact.  An impact that he struggled to make last season.  Now in his defence he certainly wasn't alone in that.  Plenty struggled.   But at least we know what the others should have been doing.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, BOF said:

For me this is the one that needs to step up next season.  I like him.  I like the effort 'n all.  I like the attitude and the bit of nasty.  But his role and his affect on the team is still a bit undefined for me.  Hourihane is a creator.  That's his job..  Whelan and Jedinak are destroyers and ball retrievers.  Whelan even seems to have a pass on him.  But Lansbury is .... what?  A bit of everything, resulting in not very much?  Is he trying too hard resulting in no role and therefore impacting everyone else's role too?  I'm not sure.  It's not like with Bjarnason where I have doubts about his ability.  I don't (yet) doubt Lansbury's ability, but he needs to take games by the scruff of the neck and make an impact.  An impact that he struggled to make last season.  Now in his defence he certainly wasn't alone in that.  Plenty struggled.   But at least we know what the others should have been doing.

I think central midfield is where Bruce has struggled the most in getting the most out of his players. This may be having an impact on Lansbury in terms of knowing what is wanted of him in the middle. He was made to sit deep and we never really given the ball to dictate play because when Jedi all won it back, it was given away. 

I think a midfield 3 of Whelan, Lansbury and Hourihane will work. Whelan to win the ball and can give the ball on. Lansbury looks happy receiving the ball from the deeper player and then acting as a link getting the ball to the more creative players and getting forward himself. He can pick a pass. This isn't a disservice to Lansbury because I think he can create too, we just haven't really seen it that much because he's been so deep.

In summary, I guess I'm trying to say that Lansbury will have been negatively impacted by Bruce struggling to get the best out of his midfield and the signing with Whelan could help bring out the best in Lansbury and this goes for hourihane too.

Edited by Mjvilla
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I think central midfield is where Bruce has struggled the most in getting the most out of his players. This may be having an impact on Lansbury in terms of knowing what is wanted of him in the middle. He was made to sit deep and we never really given the ball to dictate play because when Jedi all won it back, it was given away. 

I think a midfield 3 of Whelan, Lansbury and Hourihane will work. Whelan to win the ball and can give the ball on. Lansbury looks happy receiving the ball from the deeper player and then acting as a link getting the ball to the more creative players and getting forward himself. He can pick a pass. This isn't a disservice to Lansbury because I think he can create too, we just haven't really seen it that much because he's been so deep.

In summary, I guess I'm trying to say that Lansbury will have been negatively impacted by Bruce struggling to get the best out of his midfield and the signing with Whelan could help bring out the best in Lansbury and this goes for hourihane too.

Makes perfect sense to me.

52 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

He strikes me as a box to box player. You're right, he should be picking the ball up from the DM, breaking forward and playing passes into the attacking players, in addition, he should be making late runs into the box in order to get on the end of things. He was excellent against us at Villa park and he played the role I just outlined perfectly that day. 

If we just play him too deep, we'll have nothing but a very average player on our hands because his best traits will be suppressed.

So like James Milner, basically. More of an attacking box to box without the defensive shackles, but with license to put the work in. Kinda like a free role in central mid? 

That's how I see him. I think they were ALL stifled last season. Tactically, physically and mentally. He's a good player with pedigree and he will come good for us. 

• Like 1

He's our most "complete" player IMO and, therefore, should be doing exactly as everyone else has said - taking the ball from the defence to the attack, with a whole bunch of tackling/intercepting when off the ball.  He's capable, too.

He can play the deep-lying playmaker role well enough, but it's not in Aston Villa's best interest for him to be in that role.

Â