January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

3 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

100% agree, still massively in the hunt for play off places.

Win our 2 home games and Wednesday pick up a point from their 2 away games and we could be back in the hunt but I think Preston will be a very hard game and we need new signings this week .

I'd say we have an outside chance at best now as usually you would look at about 75 points leaving us needing 40 from 20 which is title form .

2 minutes ago, Tommo_b said:

100% agree, still massively in the hunt for play off places.

I'm not so sure the term "massively" is correct.  10 points is a lot to make up and I don't think the team has either the backbone to fight for it or do well if we somehow sneak in.  

I honestly think that it's incredibly naive to think we will be able to sign better players that Hourihane or Lansbury in the summer. We will be well on the way to being an established Championship club. Pulling players from the Premier league is going to be far more difficult next season for example.

Edited by sexbelowsound
  • Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The small fees for Lansbury and hourihane would be worth paying so they're settled by the start of next season. 

good point. We need to be settled and ready to go from match 1 next season if we can't sneak into the playoffs this season.

I agree with the sentiment we need to improve this window since summer window will have 3 relegated clubs far richer than us . Would also be nice to have the rest of this season to bed in the new recruits and hit the ground running next season

There's also the argument that we can sign both. Replace Gardner and Westwood with Lansbury and Hourihane if we can, then if a better player is available in the summer, buy them too.

You just have to look at what the ACON has done to our forward line to see we still need more strength in depth.

• Like 2

Just pay the fees for both players and get them in asap.

It will then give us two weeks to have a look for a left winger which is desperately needed in this side.

Over the last few weeks I have been against signing a striker thinking that McCormack will come good but after yesterday it just proves that he really never will do it for us. If we can get a striker in, either from abroad of someone like Hernandez then it will help us next season.

In my opinion this season is now over and we need to start building for next year and go at it as Newcastle & Brighton have this year.

Summer needs to be spent getting rid of the deadwood and remaining player with a losing mentality (Westwood, Hutton, Bacuna, Gardner, Agbonlahor) and upgrading as many positions as we possibly can.

We need to be poaching the best players from sides that miss out on promotion this year, there are some good players in this league and if you throw enough money at them they will come and put this club back where it should be.

26 minutes ago, sexbelowsound said:

I honestly think that it's incredibly naive to think we will be able to sign better players that Hourihane or Lansbury in the summer. We will be well on the way to being an established Championship club. Pulling players from the Premier league is going to be far more difficult next season for example.

Naive to think there will be more players available in the summer than January? And that some may be better than those linked? I don't think so. 

If Hourihane and Lansbury would be our first choices in the summer fair enough, sign them now, if not then personally I'd rather we wait. 

18 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Naive to think there will be more players available in the summer than January? And that some may be better than those linked? I don't think so. 

If Hourihane and Lansbury would be our first choices in the summer fair enough, sign them now, if not then personally I'd rather we wait. 

We can't keep playing half a season Trent. Yes, we're probably not making the playoffs but if we finish the season in a whimper that is not going to have a good impact on next season.

Finish this season strong and it puts us in a better position to sign players next season.

We need reinforcements now.

• Like 1

Just now, sexbelowsound said:

We can't keep playing half a season Trent. Yes, we're probably not making the playoffs but if we finish the season in a whimper that is not going to have a good impact on next season.

Finish this season strong and it puts us in a better position to sign players next season.

We need reinforcements now.

You are right we do.

My fear is that gets in the way of actually sorting things properly in the summer.

Its immaterial anyway, we will bring players in over the next two weeks.

I just hope they are the right ones because we can't keep repeating this cycle. 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

I would like to be a fly on the wall if Xia informed Bruce on Monday morning that he will not finance anymore signings until the summer.

Well he is said to have walked at Hull for that exact reason. 

5 minutes ago, striker said:

I would like to be a fly on the wall if Xia informed Bruce on Monday morning that he will not finance anymore signings until the summer.

Cannot see that happening. 

(Unless you're Jeff goldblum)

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, striker said:

Can't see this scenario - it's clear we have several weaknesses and these need sorting - bring in 2 or 3 now and they will be settled ready for next season - it's a shame as 2 weeks ago we were 4 points adrift of the top 6 whereas now that gap is 10.

4 minutes ago, jon_c said:

Well he is said to have walked at Hull for that exact reason. 

Which was my point. Villa would be looking for a new manager by the end of this week.

Bruce needs to be given the tools to start rebuilding now and not in the summer which has been suggested. Signing those linked midfielders for the fees mentioned would certainly not imo be short termism. It would signify the start of a rebuild and give plenty of time for those new players to bed in If Villa don't gain promotion this season.

• Like 3