January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

51 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

In my opinion, whether the transfer is a loan or permanent is irrelevant as long as said player gives 100% to the cause.

I would hazard a guess that at 23 years old, Johnstone would be chomping at the bit for regular first team football which he should get here in my opinion. 

I think he's a much better option than Gollini, I think Gollini has potential but maybe isn't suited to the rigours of English football.

Thank you Phumfeinz for constructing an argument

Rather we played a young upcoming keeper who was ours rather than a young upcoming keeper who belongs to another team, actually scratch that I rather we just sign an experienced keeper rather than make the same type of signing twice.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

Rather we played a young upcoming keeper who was ours rather than a young upcoming keeper who belongs to another team, actually scratch that I rather we just sign an experienced keeper rather than make the same type of signing twice.

We've had experienced keepers before and that hasn't necessarily work out (look at Bunn, Given etc.). I'd rather we just sign a decent keeper irrespective of their age.  

• Like 2

I don't understand loans, well not unless you're a League One team borrowing a Premier League youngster. I can't think of any scenario we have ever benefited from having a loan. The more you use loans, the smaller team you are really.

Johnstone could play a blinder all season yet he won't be ours. He'll be recalled to Utd and sent back on loan to another team, maybe a lower Premier League team next time. So even if we get promoted purely due to him being Superman and keeping every ball out the net, we go in to the summer back at square one with limited time to find and bed in a new keeper, knowing the experience we've given him will be used against us as we face his new team.

I'm sure there are a few very select arguments for loans but I think they should only be used in emergencies. On saying that, at least Gollini's loan makes sense - first time I've ever heard of an 18month loan. He can then make an impact for Atlanta. That's as long as some players stay at a club when they've been bought outright. But what is six months really going to do for us?

I really hope we have no more loans this window, always rather use our own youngsters than taking a risk on players that won't benefit us long term anyway.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Phumfeinz said:

Sorry, didn't realise this was such a pressing matter of urgency for you.

It doesn't count because, in my opinion, a short-term loan goalkeeper isn't particularly the kind of signing I consider to be impactful. I'm interested in permanent signings who will be here for several years to come yet.

This, in my opinion, is why it doesn't count and is why I'm so eager to see us bring in some permanent signings.

I personally really enjoyed the Stone cold quote. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, cbr600rr said:

bring  back delph

he cant get into a man city midfield which has the laziest player in history and a right back ahead of him. not even a good right back anymore

Fabian Delph football career is finished not that he was even any good for us in the first place

1 hour ago, Supervillan78 said:

We've had experienced keepers before and that hasn't necessarily work out (look at Bunn, Given etc.). I'd rather we just sign a decent keeper irrespective of their age.  

Would usually agree but goal keeper is usually one position where experience and age tend to go some way towards whether they are decent or not.

Edited by VillanousOne
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

For me, a striker is a pressing concern now, we are short up top, I didn't understand the logic of letting Gestede go to Middlesbrough with Kodjia being at ACoN. We need to invest in a striker be it a loan or permanent, I don't know if the money is there

Don't matter what striker we buy, they wont score goals the way our midfield are set up and playing.  I have to say im very disappointed in Bruce's tatics.  Doesn't really appear to be any. Obvs a man manager is his niche 

52 minutes ago, jackbauer24 said:

I don't understand loans, well not unless you're a League One team borrowing a Premier League youngster. I can't think of any scenario we have ever benefited from having a loan. The more you use loans, the smaller team you are really.

Johnstone could play a blinder all season yet he won't be ours. He'll be recalled to Utd and sent back on loan to another team, maybe a lower Premier League team next time. So even if we get promoted purely due to him being Superman and keeping every ball out the net, we go in to the summer back at square one with limited time to find and bed in a new keeper, knowing the experience we've given him will be used against us as we face his new team.

I'm sure there are a few very select arguments for loans but I think they should only be used in emergencies. On saying that, at least Gollini's loan makes sense - first time I've ever heard of an 18month loan. He can then make an impact for Atlanta. That's as long as some players stay at a club when they've been bought outright. But what is six months really going to do for us?

I really hope we have no more loans this window, always rather use our own youngsters than taking a risk on players that won't benefit us long term anyway.

Makes sense to me now when you want to stay within the ffp and don't know if you're going to get promoted. Sort out the buying in Summer if happens. The more the merrier now if its the calibar of our GK 

2 hours ago, HAL said:

you mean like we got a new striker in when rudy left?

But you can hardly class Rudy as a striker, Cissokho is,,,, actually,,,, forget it. 

42 minutes ago, Zatman said:

he cant get into a man city midfield which has the laziest player in history and a right back ahead of him. not even a good right back anymore

Fabian Delph football career is finished not that he was even any good for us in the first place

You rate Cleverley highly, but think Delph was no good for us? A bit OT, as neither will be joining us, but Cleverley was piss poor for us bar Sherwood's first 6 games in charge, and has been roundly jeered by Everton fans regularly. Delph, whatever else can be said about him, performed well at least in his last 2 years in a Villa shirt.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Don't matter what striker we buy, they wont score goals the way our midfield are set up and playing.  I have to say im very disappointed in Bruce's tatics.  Doesn't really appear to be any. Obvs a man manager is his niche 

Midfield i hear you say?  Where's that then?

Too many random names linked to us at the moment for midfield, all slightly different moulds of players. What are we actually looking for? The recruitment policy seems just as bad, if not worse, than it ever has been. 

Gollini out, Johnstone in? Completely pointless, backwards step

Gestede out at the start of the month? At least wait until the 31st rather than allow us to suffer the attempts of Gabby and McCantScoreMack. 

Lots of young exciting talent? Better give them the opportunity to prove themselves and fight their way into the starting line up by bringing them on into a formationless side in the 91st minute. 

Need a new midfielder? Let's sign literally anyone who's played in the championship this season and scored twice or more, regardless of their role in midfield, overall form and fitness, age, contract status or general attitude 

Just what is going on? When is this amateur bull going to end? What does it take to get a few braincells working at Villa? 

If we managed to get Hourihane that would be great...now if we managed to get him and Cairney (think that one is a long shot unless we offer massive wages to tempt him and fee of 10mill+) then I think that is the midfield problem solved as those two guarantee you a decent number of goals and assists.

For the defense, I think James Bree for RB if we can tempt him with regular playing time, as well as a CB on loan (Rob Holding or Cameron Carter-Vickers) would sort us there.

For the striker, I think we should try and get a loan in from the PL. Afobe and Long are both not starting regularly throughout the season and have struggled a bit, so something along those lines would be great.

Outside of that, if we could possibly get a swap involving McCormack and Brady, that would be great as it offers us further width and also the option of playing him at LB.

• Like 1