January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

1 minute ago, villianusa said:

We're crap and he doesn't want to stay in the Championship forever. :)

Oh!

Perhaps we should look at The "Chester"deal then and identify players that play well for their country, but can't get in the first team and score off those circumstances.

think we did that during '77- '83 too or something similar.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, John said:

I agree that we should not have in any way whatsoever relied on Gabby filling in for Kodjia or Ayew but I doubt that Gestede would have done any better. He wanted to go and their offer was a good one. What we needed and still need to do is to bring in another striker to replace Gestede & Gabby on loan or on a permanent basis.

I'm not convinced that if we tied up a deal for a new striker and two midfield players such as Hourihane and Lansbury before our next game that 6th place has become an impossible dream quite yet.   

I don't completely disagree with getting rid of Gestede (was never keen in the first place due to the risk of us playing a style involving just lumping it up to him) but the timing was all wrong imo. He was pretty fired up at the start of the season but has just not been getting game time and Bruce had just been using him as a end of the game sub which I felt was unfair. Putting so much faith in Gabby is completely senseless and Bruce's decision to bring him back in is and was ludicrous, we should have tried to get him out whether it be a loan or just release (cannot ever see any club wanting to pay a fee for him). Hell, I would've been much happier if Kozak had been reintroduced than him or maybe RHM (could that have affected his stance in contract renewal?) At least the others have the "capacity" to score the odd goal!!

He definitely would've been more effective than the two jokers up front today and would have buried that McCormack chance, not that that is the reason for my thinking or stance, I've felt this way for quite a while. We should have been using Gestede until we could sign a better striker...

I'm still hopeful but am still too pissed off about today's performance. Quickly get a few players in early this week and that will give everyone a lift, hopefully we can somehow manage to get on a decent winning run and still sneak into the playoffs. I want out of this league asap!

Edited by Jas10

5 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We aren't making play offs so I'd pull any deals and wait for the summer when there will be more options.

Also. Why pay £4m for players we can get for free.

I'd hope we'd push through a deal for Hourihane and at least try to end the season on a high. He looks a class player and I'd be concerned that he could go elsewhere if we didn't get it sorted in this window.

Other positions I wouldn't be so bothered about.

47 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

We aren't making play offs so I'd pull any deals and wait for the summer when there will be more options.

I see your reasoning Trent, but can't agree.  Would you really be happy to see out the season with what we have?  I would at least like to see a couple of Bruce signings and an improvement in performance, which will in turn give me optimism for next season.  Agree the play offs appear to be out of reach, but I want to win some games now and we need some different players to do this. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 4

16 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

I see your reasoning Trent, but can't agree.  Would you really be happy to see out the season with what we have?  I would at least like to see a couple of Bruce signings and an improvement in performance, which will in turn give me optimism for next season.  Agree the play offs appear to be out of reach, but I want to win some games now and need different players to do this. 

Wouldn't expect all/many to agree and understand why but for me years of short term thinking has put us where we are, it needs to stop.

• Like 3

but bringing in some new players earlier always gives them more time to settle in. If they'll improve us in the summer, they'll improve us now. We still have 3 months to go. I don't think we'll make the play offs but I'd expect the manager and club to believe they can. 

I mean obviously panic / over priced buy signings sure, but good players for 1-3mil is fine by me. 

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Because in the summer we'll have more competition from other teams to sign these players. I wouldn't wanna run the risk of missing out on them. 

• Like 1

No promotion, I'm sure there will be newly promoted teams looking to improve their midfield. I just don't think we have that much pull if it came down to a transfer 'battle' as such. Sure we could probably offer more wages, but the last 5 years have hurt our stock regardless of Having a new owner and manager now.

Just now, Dante_Lockhart said:

No promotion, I'm sure there will be newly promoted teams looking to improve their midfield. I just don't think we have that much pull if it came down to a transfer 'battle' as such. Sure we could probably offer more wages, but the last 5 years have hurt our stock regardless of Having a new owner and manager now.

If we can't fend off interest from newly promoted teams from League One we might as well give up and go home.

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

We probably wouldn't get them if they were free

1 hour ago, bully said:

How can you write off play off chances with 20 games left in the season?

A couple of decent midfielders would make a massive difference to this team

100% agree, still massively in the hunt for play off places.