January 2017 transfer window

Jareth

25 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I totally, 100%, disagree. I think literally the exact opposite. Which suggests that we're not going to reach an agreement, so let's leave it there. 

Well we are 33rd in England at the moment.  Taking the current FIFA rankings the 33rd best representative team (who don't play together very often) are either Senegal or the Ivory Coast.  I would expect them to whip our **** if we played them tomorrow.  11 decent players who don't play together very often will beat 11 **** players who play together all the time.  Admittedly that argument falls slightly apart if our league position changed slightly (35th are Egypt and 29th are Iran - maybe my footballing knowledge is letting me down but I'd hope we'd give them a decent game!!).

Me and my mates played together for 10 years - OK after a while we were probably less **** than we would have been the first time we played together - but we were still ****.  Teams beat us all the time because they had better players than us not because they made fewer changes to their starting XI. 

If we were 7th or 8th then I would agree with you.  But we are not.  We are 13th.  If the players are good enough they wouldn't need 26 games to "get to know each other" and I don't think they would be 13th and 10 points off the play-offs nearly 60% of the way through the season.

Edited by allani
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I totally, 100%, disagree. I think literally the exact opposite. Which suggests that we're not going to reach an agreement, so let's leave it there. 

yeah!!!

but you're wrong though

I'm trying REALLY hard not to let my disappointment with the start of 2017 get the better of me.  Maybe two or three midweek signings will suddenly instill me with new found optimism and maybe even better they will suddenly be the magic key that unlocks the potential in the team and we go on an incredible winning streak that, if not pulling us back into contention for the play offs, at least gets us into a decent run of form heading into the new season.  But I am a long way from convinced that that would be anything other than blind (misplaced?) optimism.  Please prove me wrong - I just want to be a happy fan again who looks forward to match days rather than dreading them!!!! :-)

28 minutes ago, villianusa said:

Comparison against our best center mid-fielder. Shows how much we could possibly improve if we buy them.

Compa1.PNG

Compa2.PNG

Although I do agree that Hourihane and Lansbure are probably 20x better than Jedinak, it is still unfair to compare them in these stats, as  Jedinak is a ball winner, defensive midfielder, it's like comparing fullbacks and central backs stats, are there any stats available that show tackles and interceptions and such? as I've heard that Hourihane and Lansbury tackle a lot too :)

Also, what is SpG? Hope it does not mean tackles per game, or else I'll look a fool :P

It is mouthwatering that we might be signing 2 midfielders who can actually score goals too, when is the last time we have had one of them? Milner? 

Edited by Chicken Field

4 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Can't believe the stupidity of letting Gestede go and thinking we could somehow rely on Gabby in any way whatsoever, offers nothing at all. Hutton is a waste of space & I don't care how much he tries, he's a very poor excuse for a footballer along with Gabby.

I agree that we should not have in any way whatsoever relied on Gabby filling in for Kodjia or Ayew but I doubt that Gestede would have done any better. He wanted to go and their offer was a good one. What we needed and still need to do is to bring in another striker to replace Gestede & Gabby on loan or on a permanent basis.

I'm not convinced that if we tied up a deal for a new striker and two midfield players such as Hourihane and Lansbury before our next game that 6th place has become an impossible dream quite yet.   

14 hours ago, avfc1982 said:

Agreed. I'm surprised some fans still think we signed good players only for the curse of Villa turned them shit. No, we actively signed players who were either past it or we're never good enough in the first place and never would be. You can thank Lerner for that. 

I would never attempt to defend Lerner in principle......but there were plenty of duffers we signed in his first 4 better years.....we just managed to get a small group that made a difference.

3 hours ago, Chicken Field said:

Although I do agree that Hourihane and Lansbure are probably 20x better than Jedinak, it is still unfair to compare them in these stats, as  Jedinak is a ball winner, defensive midfielder, it's like comparing fullbacks and central backs stats, are there any stats available that show tackles and interceptions and such? as I've heard that Hourihane and Lansbury tackle a lot too :)

Also, what is SpG? Hope it does not mean tackles per game, or else I'll look a fool :P

It is mouthwatering that we might be signing 2 midfielders who can actually score goals too, when is the last time we have had one of them? Milner? 

I don't know all the details.....but it does strike me that in our current state, we do need to get these deals done.....and play hard ball when we are in  better shape to do so.

SpG is shots per game. Here's the defensive side of them.

comp1.jpg

comp2.jpg

I've not seen much of Hourihane, but judging from the highlights I have seen and those stats, he seems pretty well rounded and I imagine a box to box type? Jedinak is obviously pretty much just a CDM and Lansbury seems to be more of a forward thinking player. That sounds like a good mix to have in a midfield 3. Be nice if we could get it done.

Shots per game

I agree with what you are saying but I'm getting frustrated with midfielders who are limited to attacking or defending. It's about time we have some that could do both.