Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I can't be having this rocking up to Villa Park tomorrow night hoping we lose. The managerial situation will take care of itself and will be based on way more than one result. If asked the question now do I want him sacked then I would say yes but every day he remains in charge I hope he turns things around. To hope for anything else is counter productive as every dropped point now just gives whoever the manager is going forward a bigger hill to climb.

And i hope to win the lottery but there comes a point where you realise it's just not going to happen. 

I'd rather lose the next 2 or 3 to get rid of him because then there's a chance things can get better. Everyday bruce remains manager is just confirmation we will waste this year. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

I can't be having this rocking up to Villa Park tomorrow night hoping we lose. The managerial situation will take care of itself and will be based on way more than one result. If asked the question now do I want him sacked then I would say yes but every day he remains in charge I hope he turns things around. To hope for anything else is counter productive as every dropped point now just gives whoever the manager is going forward a bigger hill to climb.

I understand the sentiment, but don't completely agree. If we drop points short term to result in a better solution quickly, a new manager may well have a smaller mountain to climb than if we win a few / lose a few, slowly dropping points over the next few months, then give someone barely any time to recover it. 

That said, I get that we're into hypotheticals here, not least for the fact that a loss tomorrow doesn't necessarily mean the sack. 

Complex situation. 

• Like 1

The worry is, he wins a game and saves his job, then we draw and lose so the pressure is on again, he wins one again and saves his job. All the time we're dropping points and wasting the time we need to put things right. We are just rolling along without a plan on the pitch or off it. Regardless of how his appointment was considered to be a safe choice, the board now appear to be indescisive or at least slow to act. Of course they may be working hard to find a successor and as fans we never really understand the complexity of how these things work. If he goes and we appoint his successor quickly then they would appear to at least have a plan. Then we only have to worry about if it's a good plan or not. 

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

Terry your opinion is fair enough and I understand where you are coming from but we are at polar opposites here mate as I just can't ever envisage going to a game hoping we lose.

Like you say none of us can foresee the future. It may take another 3 or 4 games without winning for him to get the flick. Do we go into all those games hoping we lose? He may win the next 3 or 4 giving him another period of grace before he would come under pressure. Who knows. I just see it that we hope for the three points whenever they are on offer and whatever consequences that has above and beyond those three points so be it.

Again, fair enough.

Lets put it another way.

IF you KNEW it WAS a choice between 3 points or the Sack - which would you want ?

Ok ?

Now what if you also KNEW that him staying meant say a 30% chance of getting promoted, and him leaving meant we had a 80% chance ?

Still same view ?

If after all that your view is the same, fine, you value three points above all else. But if knowing those things changed your view then all we are talking about is how strongly I believe  that scenario.

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

It comes to something when you feel you are having to justify wanting your team to win :) I think that is me done with this thread whilst the discussion is where it is at now.

Agree it's all a long long way from having a good natter about the football.

Its been a long 6, 7 years.:(

• Like 1

1 hour ago, peterms said:

I suggest that just about anyone who has ever successfully led or managed anyone would disagree.

The conditions are usually implicit, unspoken.  But people who place themselves in positions of leadership and don't understand that, don't last.

My loyalty to Aston Villa is totally unconditional , always has been , always will be .

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Each to their own.

We had the same debate and each said the same things before Norwich.

We Won, and now look where we are.

Win tomorrow and we add another couple of weeks, it's him surviving that is making it harder and harder.

What does one game matter if the longer term is better served by s defeat ?

Why not gonly the whole hog , and buy a Borough scarf :P ?

2 hours ago, terrytini said:

Again, fair enough.

Lets put it another way.

IF you KNEW it WAS a choice between 3 points or the Sack - which would you want ?

Ok ?

Now what if you also KNEW that him staying meant say a 30% chance of getting promoted, and him leaving meant we had a 80% chance ?

Still same view ?

If after all that your view is the same, fine, you value three points above all else. But if knowing those things changed your view then all we are talking about is how strongly I believe  that scenario.

Terry, I'm with Mark on this one. Because we DONT and CANT know those things.  

I DO KNOW I've wanted him replaced for ages and I DO KNOW that I want villa to get three points at every asking. 

I do understand your view though.  It's even tempting.  

• Like 1

Every time he wins its an extra game or two he gets longer. Win - Lose - Lose - Draw - Win - Draw - Draw - Lose - Win. It's not good enough and it's been exactly the same since he took over.

I can see it with my own eyes we aren't going anywhere with him in charge. Can anyone even see any potential for change/improvement? We should have been hammered by Brentford.

Whats our threat? How do we attack? What system do we play? Who is our outlet/creative player? Nobody on this forum can answer it because there is no answer.

If it takes losing 4 games in a row to get him out I am all for it. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, peterms said:

Clubs often sack a manager immediately after a loss,  which leads to the whole discussion about "Is it worth losing a game to get rid of the manager".

I don't really understand it.  The only explanations that make sense are either looking for political cover for their decision because they are too feeble to do it unless fans are currently unhappy, or else acting in a fit of pique.

The idea that they are trying to run a multimillion pound business by judging the manager one game at a time is just too daft to contemplate.

..........not exactly sagacious

• Like 1

5 hours ago, AndyM3000 said:

Every time he wins its an extra game or two he gets longer. Win - Lose - Lose - Draw - Win - Draw - Draw - Lose - Win. It's not good enough and it's been exactly the same since he took over.

I can see it with my own eyes we aren't going anywhere with him in charge. Can anyone even see any potential for change/improvement? We should have been hammered by Brentford.

Whats our threat? How do we attack? What system do we play? Who is our outlet/creative player? Nobody on this forum can answer it because there is no answer.

If it takes losing 4 games in a row to get him out I am all for it. 

Wanting us to lose is ridiculous, but as I said earlier in these pages, as soon as you start saying he's got x matches, you are just delaying the inevitable and you have already reached the time to go. 

8 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

My loyalty to Aston Villa is totally unconditional , always has been , always will be .

The many responses to this tweet are perhaps more representative of how most people feel.  Support is not unconditional or uncritical, and people won't accept whatever is thrown at them.

10 hours ago, markavfc40 said:

It comes to something when you feel you are having to justify wanting your team to win :) I think that is me done with this thread whilst the discussion is where it is at now.

I get it. 

I just don't value 3 points over the long term future of the club. 

I truly believe the longer we stick with bruce the more damage will be caused. The quicker we get rid then the quicker things may improve. There's a lot more at stake for Aston Villa football club than 3 points tonight. 

• Like 4

Â