Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

31 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I get it. 

I just don't value 3 points over the long term future of the club. 

I truly believe the longer we stick with bruce the more damage will be caused. The quicker we get rid then the quicker things may improve. There's a lot more at stake for Aston Villa football club than 3 points tonight. 

as palace have proven, one result doesnt change the manager's future either way. someone leaked the hodgson story to the press that's why you rarely hear of it, but i would be amazed if the board havent at least started a shortlist. de boer would have been sacked eventually (maybe not the next day) but in a week or 2 even if they beat burnley 5-0 sunday

in keeping with the current theme of the thread, 3 points every time, and 3 more saturday, and the one after that etc etc etc...no matter who is in charge, or who is on the pitch.

• Like 1

Crazy to think one result doesn't matter.

If we Win 5-0 you see him sacked ? I don't.

Some who have said this also say had we lost to Norwich he might've been gone - so again, maybe one result saved him.

The truth is nobody knows whether a Win keeps him or not, or a defeat gets rid.

But on balance, it's reasonable to assume both of these.

Anyway we can all think what we like it can't affect the result !!

The only reason he is still here is he was Wyness & Rounds pick and they hare fighting his cause to cover themselves ...RDM got the sack as he was Tonys pick and IMO Wyness etc lost faith in him and pushed for his exit to get their  man in.

Chairmen / owners make mistakes when hiring managers hence why so many mangers change but refusing to accept that and just plugging on to save their own backs i snow negatively reflecting on them to the point where I would see Bruce  / Wyness and Round all gone. I'd say also that in Hogan .Adomah and RMC we have 30 mil worth of talent that is not being used and I have to think a different manager might be able to get more from them as well as the others not performing under Bruce.

He needs both a win and a performance tonight and frankly I can't see him getting either so it should be the end of him.

11 minutes ago, Nabby said:

The only reason he is still here is he was Wyness & Rounds pick and they hare fighting his cause to cover themselves ...RDM got the sack as he was Tonys pick and IMO Wyness etc lost faith in him and pushed for his exit to get their  man in.

Chairmen / owners make mistakes when hiring managers hence why so many mangers change but refusing to accept that and just plugging on to save their own backs i snow negatively reflecting on them to the point where I would see Bruce  / Wyness and Round all gone. I'd say also that in Hogan .Adomah and RMC we have 30 mil worth of talent that is not being used and I have to think a different manager might be able to get more from them as well as the others not performing under Bruce.

He needs both a win and a performance tonight and frankly I can't see him getting either so it should be the end of him.

Yep I think today might be his last game in charge. Tough game tonight and on current form I can only see one winner. With the squad we have we should be able to beat any team in this league but I cant see any result apart from a loss . Hope I'm wrong. 

I really don't get the Wyness / Round dislike.   They are obviously going to be more circumspect (as is Xia) than fans in getting rid of a manager.  It's not to 'cover themselves' or 'save face' etc - they have far more invested in Villa doing well than fans do.  But they have just backed the current manager (despite what Bruce says) with everything he wants and that only finished a week or so ago with Snodgrass.  They are bound to want to give him a bit more time after that.  

That said, I imagine a loss tonight should and will see Bruce go because his position is increasingly untenable.  But just because they haven't pulled the trigger straight after the first 'Bruce out' I don't think they should all be fired as well.  Bruce was a reasonable appointment at the time that hasn't worked out - it's not like they appointed someone's nephew who'd never managed a football club (like whichever club that was).   So unless our next managerial appointment is Moyes I don't think their position should be an issue.

(sorry - probably one for the Wyness thread really)

• Like 3

1 hour ago, terrytini said:

Crazy to think one result doesn't matter.

If we Win 5-0 you see him sacked ? I don't.

Some who have said this also say had we lost to Norwich he might've been gone - so again, maybe one result saved him.

The truth is nobody knows whether a Win keeps him or not, or a defeat gets rid.

But on balance, it's reasonable to assume both of these.

Anyway we can all think what we like it can't affect the result !!

I said before it's pointless analysing the next move for Bruce or even our season based on each game. The way things stand he is manager and there is no indication he is leaving. So we may as wel just try and enjoy the game and hope we get a result.

Its so s**t being a Villa fan. I think I'm going to let my kid support City. 

Edit: Man City that is! 

Edited by Vive_La_Villa
  • Like 1

Hopefully Bruce's last day in charge.

It's quite ridiculous that he's still at the club.

Every game is a "must win" for him going forward as were already well behind the promotion places.

Can anyone see us winning 6 - 7 games on the bounce after the way we played against Brentford.

Edited by AshVilla

20 minutes ago, praisedmambo said:

I think tonight is must-win for him. I don't think we will win either. 

So was Bristol City, so was Brentford...

No mattet what the result tonight the man is finished.

As someone already rightly mentioned..

Once the fans are lost, no one has come back from that.

It is just a matter of when not if now, surely!

21 minutes ago, striker said:

Think we'll see whether Bruce has lost the dressing room tonight? If the players want him gone it's the perfect opportunity to down tools and get him sacked.

I think it's abundantly clear that he lost the dressing room a while ago tbh. 

41 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Hopefully Bruce's last day in charge.

It's quite ridiculous that he's still at the club.

Every game is a "must win" for him going forward as were already well behind the promotion places.

Can anyone see us winning 6 - 7 games on the bounce after the way we played against Brentford.

Nope, seems a long way off.

That said, we could plausibly go on a run scraping a few wins, as we did last season.  They may even come in consecutive games.  The problem is, it won't be the result of addressing the underlying issues, and therefore before long we'll revert to more games like Saturday (and the preceding 11 months), when we won't scrape lucky wins.

The change needs to be much more fundamental than even just going on a bit of a run of results.

Bruce has demonstrated game after game after game that he doesn't know what he's doing. He's been reduced to guessing what to do next and still getting it wrong. His ideas on coaching, tactics and even motivation have been examined and found wanting. It seems he hasn't got a thought in his head beyond getting Kodjia and Jedinak back in the same team for a bit of hoof and hope. I don't like using cliches, but the man really is a clueless footballing dinosaur!

If we continue with Bruce in charge we will pick up points through moments of individual skill and effort. Even luck will add points here and there, but we wont pick up anywhere near enough points to be promoted.

Promotion is our only target this season according to our owner and CEO, but it appears that despite all the evidence of regular and repeated "Steve Bruce failure", they still need a final push before they're prepared to act. Let tonight be that "final push"! 

• Like 1

Ok I'm going to try and look at this logically and suggest the writing is on the wall for Bruce regardless of today's results. 

The board have decided the impact of sacking him so close to the next game would derail the preparation etc and potentially affect the result more so than if he remains in charge for one more game.  

Tomorrow there will be an announcement and the search for a new manager will become official.  

1 hour ago, striker said:

Think we'll see whether Bruce has lost the dressing room tonight? If the players want him gone it's the perfect opportunity to down tools and get him sacked.

Of the many ridiculous recent posts in this thread, that is head and shoulders above the rest. 

You SERIOUSLY think the players should try to lose tonight to satisfy the desire of some people to see the manager go?

What will you do if we score a couple of goals? Start booing because they are failing to down tools? Start cheering for Middlesbrough?

2 hours ago, rubberman said:

I really don't get the Wyness / Round dislike.   They are obviously going to be more circumspect (as is Xia) than fans in getting rid of a manager.  It's not to 'cover themselves' or 'save face' etc - they have far more invested in Villa doing well than fans do.  But they have just backed the current manager (despite what Bruce says) with everything he wants and that only finished a week or so ago with Snodgrass.  They are bound to want to give him a bit more time after that.  

That said, I imagine a loss tonight should and will see Bruce go because his position is increasingly untenable.  But just because they haven't pulled the trigger straight after the first 'Bruce out' I don't think they should all be fired as well.  Bruce was a reasonable appointment at the time that hasn't worked out - it's not like they appointed someone's nephew who'd never managed a football club (like whichever club that was).   So unless our next managerial appointment is Moyes I don't think their position should be an issue.

(sorry - probably one for the Wyness thread really)

Oh my god I forgot all about that, what club was it?! 

19 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Of the many ridiculous recent posts in this thread, that is head and shoulders above the rest. 

You SERIOUSLY think the players should try to lose tonight to satisfy the desire of some people to see the manager go?

What will you do if we score a couple of goals? Start booing because they are failing to down tools? Start cheering for Middlesbrough?

At the end of the day, we are not going anywhere fast with Bruce. 6 points in 6 games is a brutal return.

We need a new manager, if we scrape a 1-0 win tonight it does us no long term favours.

Â