Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Never pay any attention particularly to pre or post match press interviews. Players/managers are trained to talk in cliches and sound bites. Manager interviews are rarely that insightful and  always have a dollop of self preservation to them to preserve their chances of getting another job and will usually play to what they perceive the fans want to hear.

What's said to the press and behind the scenes are polar opposites a lot of the time. 

• Like 3

Just now, DCJonah said:

Like I say, he's been saying it constantly since the week before the season started, it's not a one off interview. If you think he's just answering questions then fine, I think his answers and the message he wants to get across is something he's already decided. 

Might be the case, we're just coming at it from different sides of the fence :thumb:  

So far this season on league form and not the cup, we have gained 4pts from a possible 12. A win on Fri evening would see it as 7pts from 15 potentially, or 5/15 if we draw, 4/15 if we lost?

After these 4 games, what is deemed as acceptable as a points aim/target wise?

Are we correct and true to form?

Did Steve Bruce just stumble across the formation by luck?

Was it a case of Norwich having a bad day with alot of their key players missing?

Is it a mix of the latter and throwing in some youngsters too to maybe give a few a kick up the arses?

I am glad the young guns have came in and showed that they actually want to play for this illustrious football club and have impressed so far and for me I hope they retain their places.

I have shared my views in what I have thought of Bruce at the beginning of his appointment and also very much so quite recently too.

I, like many others on here, have not been impressed in recent weeks and irrespective of the next ideal manager saga I do feel Friday is a must win game.

I do applaud the last league win I hope we carry this on into the next game, 

I will be all for momentum being built and a run of form etc. Even if it is under Bruce etc and hope he can show that he has infact 'got this!' and this is now the actual kick start of our season. But until such time I will maintain that he still cannot afford any losses or very few draws in our attempt to Win the league.

Edited by AvfcRigo82
Fixed

7 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So far this season on league form and not the cup, we have gained 4pts from a possible 9. A win on Fri evening would see it as 7pts from 12 potentially, or 5/12 if we draw, 4/12 if we lost?

Was it a case of Norwich having a bad day with alot of their key players missing?

Is it a mix of the latter and throwing in some youngsters too to maybe give a few a kick up the arses?

I am glad the young guns have came in and showed that they actually want to play for this illustrious football club and have impressed so far and for me I hope they retain their places.

I have shared my views in what I have thought of Bruce at the beginning of his appointment and also very much so quite recently too.

I, like many others on here, have not been impressed in recent weeks and irrespective of the next ideal manager saga I do feel Friday is a must win game.

I will be all for momentum being built and a run of form etc. Even if it is under Bruce etc and hope he can show that he has infact 'got this!' and this is now the actual kick start of our season. But until such time I will maintain that he still cannot afford any losses or very few draws in our attempt to Win the league.

4 from 12

3 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Could he? 

I thought he was injured still. 

ok you could be right

been abroad for a while so not up to speed with the injuries.

Edited by TRO

1 hour ago, omariqy said:

Normally I would agree with this but he did keep saying how good of a footballing side Reading were and then decided to play like we were trying to see out a 0-0 draw against Barca.

But I'm not talking about how he plays. I'm talking about what he says in pre match interviews.

13 hours ago, villianusa said:

I understand what you are saying about his year, but he has said from the start that this is a rebuilding project. Around 50% of the team who finished the game against Brighton was not playing in the first game of this season. He has finally got, what I would say is his squad and results should start to show. He is also in the process of changing the formation from a 433, to a 4411 (or something along those lines). From my own personal experience of working with and chatting to professional players and coaches up to international level over the years, the feedback I have received is they are in agreement that it takes 2-3 months to learn a new system. With the new signings in the summer, this could take into the early season for it to settle in.

A number of players who were signed in January are finally settling in, while injuries have also affected the continuity of the team.

We should have won against Hull, but the games against Cardiff and Reading were unacceptable from the manager and the players. I was with the majority and after we lost to Reading, I wouldn't have cared if he got fired. I'm hoping the improvement of the last two games is the way we can continue, we may not always win, but hopefully, try to.

To say the 3 games is nonsense would certainly hold true if it was the same players, same formation, and with no improvement, but with all the additional changes through the summer, I don't think so. There has been a lot of change over the last year within the club and I hope this season we will see positive results and stability and a little bit of luck. We now have one of the strongest squads (if not the strongest) in the league and should now start to perform like one.

good read, that.

6 hours ago, villarocker said:

Bruce made a brave call in playing Davis up front and he was rewarded with the lad putting in a great performance. They both deserve a lot of credit for that.

While I agree Bruce could have made other decisions.  Maybe it was "fake news" (sorry) but I thought Steve Bruce had said he was basically forced to play Davis because of injuries.  Did I hear that wrong?

3 minutes ago, srsmithusa said:

While I agree Bruce could have made other decisions.  Maybe it was "fake news" (sorry) but I thought Steve Bruce had said he was basically forced to play Davis because of injuries.  Did I hear that wrong?

Its a pretty honest claim if he did say it.....not exactly playing to the gallery with that.....and equally not afraid to say it.

Some players do play better in games than in training, could be a bit of that.

funny how Big Ron only had Dwight in games spasmodically and it was Brian Little who gave him his wings.....it happens.

I think it's pretty simple from now on in.

DrT has more than likely told Bruce "get it done or you're a gonner".

Bruce will be under pressure till we hit 2nd, rightly so, he may be allowed a slip if we return or hover between 2nd & 6th (points difference depending) for a while. But I think come December if we dont look like promotion material, he'll be gone for a Jan-win push.

Maybe this is what Bruce needs to convert himself to a "Big club with expectancy" manager. Pressure, pressure to win convincingly abd at all costs. No excuses, just doing it!

I think he's out of his depth and will revert to type, to the deterement of our promotion chances. But there is the possibility that he may have turned "HIS CORNER" to become the Big club manager he has always wanted to be.

Steve - DrT, Wyness & Round have put faith in you, you have everything at your disposal that a Ch manager could want, Time, players, Pre-season and support.

It's up to you now

From your perspective - Dont ket yourself down.

From AVFC's perspective - Get us promoted.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

Bruce will be under pressure till we hit 2nd, rightly so, he may be allowed a slip if we return or hover between 2nd & 6th (points difference depending) for a while. But I think come December if we dont look like promotion material, he'll be gone for a Jan-win push.

Maybe this is what Bruce needs to convert himself to a "Big club with expectancy" manager. Pressure, pressure to win convincingly abd at all costs. No excuses, just doing it!

I think he's out of his depth and will revert to type, to the deterement of our promotion chances. But there is the possibility that he may have turned "HIS CORNER" to become the Big club manager he has always wanted to be.

Steve - DrT, Wyness & Round have put faith in you, you have everything at your disposal that a Ch manager could want, Time, players, Pre-season and support.

It's up to you now

what just happened? a post without Bruce OUT at the end?!

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, Grasshopper said:

It's up to you now

I think equally, that is your wishful thinking at play.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, a m ole said:

what just happened? a post without Bruce OUT at the end?!

Yeah, this is indeed worrying. No more of these scoring 4 goals a match performances please. The 'Bruce out' brigade must stay strong!

5 hours ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

So far this season on league form and not the cup, we have gained 4pts from a possible 12. A win on Fri evening would see it as 7pts from 15 potentially, or 5/15 if we draw, 4/15 if we lost?

7 from 15 is still poor, he needs to get it to be 19 from 30 to be getting acceptable, and that means winning 5 of the next 6 which isn't happening on current away form. Still below 2 points a game (just) which we need to be hitting this season to get automatic promotion. He has a lot to do still! 

5 from 15 and 4 from 15 are both appalling with the resources at his disposal this season. 

Every next game is a must win in this league. We have to get to 22+ wins and we will only get there by scoring loads. Bruce has to keep attacking now. Our next 2 away games are against sides who beat us last year but who are weaker personal wise. Get a settled dude and trust them to overcome the opposition. Realise we won't control 90 min of football. We will be under the kosh. We've lost heavily away twice now against teams that will be pushing the top 6 but the next 2 are games we have to be winning. Hopefully then our home form will the same a style last year and we'll be up there. The next 4 games are massive for me. 2 away games we should be winning and 2 home games. One against most people's favourites and the other against a Forest team who could be challenging for the playoffs. We need confidence to do well. We need to win tomorrow. 

• Like 2

Â