Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I don't think Steve Bruce deserves a lot of credit for waking up and finally seeing the error of his ways against Norwich last week. Injuries to his favoured players had something to do with that. He does however deserve to have his backside kicked for the previous ten months in which he clearly failed to do his job effectively. His team's performances had become so useless and negative that by common concensus he was only a couple of games away from getting the sack!

I've read a lot of posts in support of SB, but a manager has to earn the support and respect of fans and so far Bruce has failed to do that in my opinion.

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd personally just call it being respectful on a radio show to your upcoming opponents, and not wanting to say something brash which they can print off and stick on the changing room wall and give them their own team talk.. But sure. 

No. Everything Bruce says or does is definitely wrong. Always.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, villabromsgrove said:

I don't think Steve Bruce deserves a lot of credit for waking up and finally seeing the error of his ways against Norwich last week. Injuries to his favoured players had something to do with that. He does however deserve to have his backside kicked for the previous ten months in which he clearly failed to do his job effectively. His team's performances had become so useless and negative that by common concensus he was only a couple of games away from getting the sack!

I've read a lot of posts in support of SB, but a manager has to earn the support and respect of fans and so far Bruce has failed to do that in my opinion.

Never understood this.

This morning Allardyce said to him, something along the lines of "And how have the fans been?  They're pretty demanding" to which he replied (something along the lines of "Yes they are demanding, but this is a huge, massive club, and they want the best for it, as only they should" 

Hardly moaning or bitching about fans is it? 

Whenever anyone has said anything on here about him moaning about the fans, I go and watch the interview.  He always just responds to the question, but never in an outwardly negative way.  But spoken words vs words read can be taken any way in which the reader wants I guess. 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

- Allardyce asked him about how and if he's still using "your back 3 Steve".  SB said that he hasn't played it much, although it's an option.  He said it's something he got Hull promoted with and is surprised at how common it's being used.  As for us using it, he said that it's something which needs a lot of training to implement, but he has got the players to do it

I think this is something that is overlooked by fans a lot.

Lots of people suggesting 3 at the back in certain games (not necessarily Villa fans).

It's a hugely different way of playing. It's not something a team can just switch to straight away. It takes training and practice.

One of the reasons I was hoping Bruce wasn't going to be relying on it this season.

I've never judged Bruce on what he says to the media, I've made my judgement on how he's set his team up and the ensuing results. My comment on a manager earning fans support and respect is based on methods and results.

For the record, I like Steve as a person and believe him to be decent and hard working. I do not rate him as a 2017 football manager.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

I'd personally just call it being respectful on a radio show to your upcoming opponents, and not wanting to say something brash which they can print off and stick on the changing room wall and give them their own team talk.. But sure. 

Not that I follow his press conferences slavishly, but I have the impression Bruce says that sort of thing about every club we meet.

It's the Bruce way.

As you say, better than saying, "yes, they are crap and we will breeze this one." :)

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We are playing Bristol and not Barcelona though would be nice for the manager to be a bit positive for a change.

If we want to get promoted we should be beating teams like this comfortably.

What do you want him to say? "We feel like we are comfortably better than Bristol and will win this game easily?" Talk about firing up the opposition.

He's answered a question with the fact that Bristol have had a decent start to the season (they've won 3 out of 6 competitive games) and that it won't be an easy game.

I'm sure he's targeting games like this one as ones we should be winning but what manager is ever going to come out and say that in the build up to a match?

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

We are playing Bristol and not Barcelona though would be nice for the manager to be a bit positive for a change.

Yes but as has already been pointed out, when do you ever see managers come out and say "We're way better than them. Should be winning this easily"

It's always the same. A standard "They're a good team, it will be difficult blah blah blah"

People read into interviews way too much. It's 90% regurgitated stick lines.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

I think you are right, but you have to take into consideration our own form this season. We will do well to win this.

Pre match interviews are always meaningless regurgitation's of the same old nothing.

Post game interviews are often more interesting, but not by much to be honest.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, lapal_fan said:

My comment was more tongue in cheek, and you are right with what you say for sure.

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Yes but as has already been pointed out, when do you ever see managers come out and say "We're way better than them. Should be winning this easily"

It's always the same. A standard "They're a good team, it will be difficult blah blah blah"

People read into interviews way too much. It's 90% regurgitated stick lines.

Normally I would agree with this but he did keep saying how good of a footballing side Reading were and then decided to play like we were trying to see out a 0-0 draw against Barca.

1 hour ago, lapal_fan said:

Never understood this.

This morning Allardyce said to him, something along the lines of "And how have the fans been?  They're pretty demanding" to which he replied (something along the lines of "Yes they are demanding, but this is a huge, massive club, and they want the best for it, as only they should" 

Hardly moaning or bitching about fans is it? 

Whenever anyone has said anything on here about him moaning about the fans, I go and watch the interview.  He always just responds to the question, but never in an outwardly negative way.  But spoken words vs words read can be taken any way in which the reader wants I guess. 

Why would saying that earn the respect of fans? Shouldn't his actions earn their respect? What about when he told the press we all got too carried away with signing John Terry? Was that respectful? And he constantly moans about being restricted in the transfer market. 

Just now, DCJonah said:

Why would saying that earn the respect of fans? Shouldn't his actions earn their respect? What about when he told the press we all got too carried away with signing John Terry? Was that respectful? And he constantly moans about being restricted in the transfer market. 

Well, he's saying it's a big club (which fans like to hear), he's saying "they demand results" (which is quite true if you read VT, again, nothing offensive in the slightest).  The JT stuff, yea I agree he didn't need to mention that really, but I don't know how the question was posed to him - I've tried looking for the interview but can't find it, so again, it may have been a loaded question. 

He hasn't moaned about the transfer restrictions, he's acknowledged they're there.  He said this morning to Brazil/Allardyce "People think I've got millions to spend, but I haven't because of FFP, I've had to keep an eye on the books" - this was when he was asked about Snodgrass and Wilshere. That's not moaning, that's him saying people's perceptions of what we have aren't true because of the regulations in place.  It's got nothing to do with actual expectation. 

3 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

Well, he's saying it's a big club (which fans like to hear), he's saying "they demand results" (which is quite true if you read VT, again, nothing offensive in the slightest).  The JT stuff, yea I agree he didn't need to mention that really, but I don't know how the question was posed to him - I've tried looking for the interview but can't find it, so again, it may have been a loaded question. 

He hasn't moaned about the transfer restrictions, he's acknowledged they're there.  He said this morning to Brazil/Allardyce "People think I've got millions to spend, but I haven't because of FFP, I've had to keep an eye on the books" - this was when he was asked about Snodgrass and Wilshere. That's not moaning, that's him saying people's perceptions of what we have aren't true because of the regulations in place.  It's got nothing to do with actual expectation. 

The second paragraph is a perfect example of what he's done since the week before the season started. Every opportunity he gets he mentions restrictions, maybe moaning isn't the right word, but it's him trying to control how he's viewed, trying to put excuses in place. Why does he need to mention it all the time? We're 4 games in and I've lost count of the times he's mentioned it. I've got absolutely no respect for it. 

**** his restrictions, he's probably got the strongest squad in the league and he constantly tries to downplay it to make it sound like his job is so difficult. It's pathetic really. 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

The second paragraph is a perfect example of what he's done since the week before the season started. Every opportunity he gets he mentions restrictions, maybe moaning isn't the right word, but it's him trying to control how he's viewed, trying to put excuses in place. Why does he need to mention it all the time? We're 4 games in and I've lost count of the times he's mentioned it. I've got absolutely no respect for it. 

**** his restrictions, he's probably got the strongest squad in the league and he constantly tries to downplay it to make it sound like his job is so difficult. It's pathetic really. 

He was probably asked about any more transfers or if he wants more players.  Listen to the questions as much as you analyse the answers. 

5 minutes ago, lapal_fan said:

He was probably asked about any more transfers or if he wants more players.  Listen to the questions as much as you analyse the answers. 

Like I say, he's been saying it constantly since the week before the season started, it's not a one off interview. If you think he's just answering questions then fine, I think his answers and the message he wants to get across is something he's already decided. 

Â