Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

I had started to turn on Bruce (although no abuse was aimed his way from me) over the first couple of games. This was mainly due to his form over the past few months and the style (or lack thereof) football we had been playing. I just couldn't see any improvement since the summer, yet I know we have a very good squad.

Now Bruce seems to be realising just what the players at his disposal are capable of. I'm baffled by the fact it has taken him so long to realise this but it's better late than never I suppose. This doesn't mean I'm fully convinced he is the right man to take us forward though. I was happy with his appointment and his previous record of multiple promotions. I thought he was the right manager for us and he could still be but I have my doubts.

Two wins have papered over the cracks for now. One at home, in which we got slightly fortunate in the second half and another in the cup (at home again) against a lower league team. Yes, both were great results and I praise Bruce for the way he set up the team for those games. There were issues in the Norwich game though and two lovely finishes from Hourihane got us out of jail in the second half. We started to fall too deep as we have been known to do under Bruce. This needs to stop and we need to play like we did in the firsr half more consistantly.

The big test comes on Friday. It will take more than two wins to convince me that Bruce is the right man for the job. I really do hope he is as we could do with some stability. If the performances drop back down though and our away form doesn't improve then I will be hoping he gets the sack. Here's hoping it doesn't come to Xia needing to sack him though, as we would hopefully be doing very well if that is the case...

• Like 1

I don't mind Bruce, and I definately think the stability of him staying will do us good. Also looking at the next manager thread shows what awaits should we give him the boot, if you look at things realistically.

However he simply needs to sort this away form out very soon. There has to be accountability if he can't turn this around as every home win perversely heaps more pressure on him as it shows we have the players. It must be a mental thing, but this does fall on his shoulders.

It wouldn't be perfect but even a couple of draws in the next couple of away games (taking for granted our home form remains perfect) wouldn't be the end of the world. The mindset has to change and I doubt it will be a rapid switch, but there does have to be a noticeable improvement in application too, no more Cardiff style collapses.

Really hope he can turn this around as the upheaval of another manager won't be good news!

7 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I don't mind Bruce, and I definately think the stability of him staying will do us good. Also looking at the next manager thread shows what awaits should we give him the boot, if you look at things realistically.

However he simply needs to sort this away form out very soon. There has to be accountability if he can't turn this around as every home win perversely heaps more pressure on him as it shows we have the players. It must be a mental thing, but this does fall on his shoulders.

It wouldn't be perfect but even a couple of draws in the next couple of away games (taking for granted our home form remains perfect) wouldn't be the end of the world. The mindset has to change and I doubt it will be a rapid switch, but there does have to be a noticeable improvement in application too, no more Cardiff style collapses.

Really hope he can turn this around as the upheaval of another manager won't be good news!

I disagree. We need to get to that 2 points a game average quickly. The more and more points we drop the harder it's going to become to get to it. 

• Like 2

Just now, DCJonah said:

I disagree. We need to get to that 2 points a game average quickly. The more and more points we drop the harder it's going to become to get to it. 

Unless my maths is way off a win and a draw is as close to a 2 point a game average as you could get!

2 minutes ago, Nigel said:

Unless my maths is way off a win and a draw is as close to a 2 point a game average as you could get!

But 4 points from 4 games is way off and we have to make up for that horrible start to the season.

I guess would be the point he was making.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

Last night was a good result and seemingly performance though I didn't see it, it is also good to see young players stepping up and taking chances given to them. So credit to Bruce for that.

But last night does very little to alter my view of Bruce which has been formed on his tenure here, rather than games this season as some like to suggest when trying to ridicule people's concerns.

The Norwich game was obviously a big improvement and so encouraging but many question marks still remain against Bruce for me.

It will take league results, consistent league results and results away from home for me to alter my view. That will require him to get more from the players he has signed and Norwich and Wigan aside who have fallen short of previous clubs performances.

So Friday rather than last night will be the measure of progress or otherwise rather than Wigan at VP.

So while there is some hope of improvement lets not act as if the previous concerns were unwarranted.

Agreed. The consistency of performance is what's required now. I think if we lose at Bristol City but play really well and try and attack them then there will be more patience than if we see a Cardiff/reading performance. Obviously a good performance and 3 points is the ideal. 

But we need to see this more consistently, definitely. I don't think it's fickle to change an opinion, as has been alluded to.

I've changed my opinion on Bruce, and I'd happily change again if the performances in the last 2 games become the norm.

• Like 2

Lets not get carried away we have beaten two extremely poor sides at home.

Bruce has done what was expected of him but credit where it's due 8 goals in 2 games nothing to sniff at.

The proof of the pudding will be the away fixtures I just can't see Bruce going ultra positive in these matches I think we will be back to trying to scrape 1 - 0 wins and we will come unstuck.

Prove me wrong please I'll gladly eat humble pie should it mean we get promoted.

Oh and hospital food sucks :(

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

he did this to me last season. I wanted him out a game or two before the end of that massive slump mid season and he brought me back round. If we beat Bristol and play well I'll probably be right back on the fence. Keep it up Steve, please.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Nigel said:

It is. But our overall average won't be there. We're still only averaging 1 point a game so far. The longer that gap is there the harder it will be to get there. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, Hoof hearted said:

Will you eat humble pie if it turns into a 10 game argument or 15? Fickle much?

I remember Bruce's start here.

He went 8 games undefeated from memory and surprised many - myself included - then followed that up with an even worse run of results than under RDM. Results improved a bit after that so we ended up finishing middle table.

Now "fickle" fans are those who change their opinion of the manager after each spell. Trent, among others, is not one of those and has held to his opinion. That's the opposite of "fickle".

That said, I don't know of a single poster who has concerns about Bruce that wouldn't be over the moon to be proven wrong in their assessment and see us promoted back to where we belong.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It is. But our overall average won't be there. We're still only averaging 1 point a game so far. The longer that gap is there the harder it will be to get there. 

Plenty of time to catch back averages over the season, as long as we hit some kind of stride now!

9 hours ago, TRO said:

so......( not a loaded question)

how can he be tactically naive one minute and tactically sharp the next?

or do WE put too much focus on it?.....and in reality it matters much less then we think?

I am not dismissing it....I just happen to think players form/confidence matters as much and has a significant effect too.

He cant, he is not a tactical genius (by his own admission.....) the errors and lack of answers when the opposition made a change are still there as evidence.

He got a bit lucky on saturday, if Davis had a stinker then that game could have gone in a completely different direction but it didnt.

Lets see what team he puts out on Friday and what style they play, it will take alot more than 2 wins (1 against League one opposition) to change my opinion but if he is more positive that would go a long way.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, TRO said:

That sounds a bit selective to me.

The credit goes to the players when we win and the criticism goes to Bruce when we lose......ah sorted.

seems pretty fair that;)

Have you not stated on here the exact opposite?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Â