Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

43 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

After rewatching second half i dont think its all confidence the fitness levels second half looked atrocious. We looked knackered after the first 15 minutes second half. Shows how crap RDM was.

Hopefully it is a fitness issue as that can beaddressed. From what i have seen from previous bruce teams at other clubs, his teams have excellent fitness. Lets hope he can get this sorted out.

Agreed. Our whole team was bollocksed in the second half. Elphick went down with cramp after 70 minutes and he's a centre back! Bruce has a huge job on his hands to sort this mess out. I hope Dr.X has unlimited funds because he's going to need them.

3 minutes ago, briny_ear said:

Totally agree. I thought Bruce's comments were the best and most realistic from a manager about a Villa performance in a long time. 

His comments on fitness levels were deeply worrying, especially because, as he says, we are in the mixer with loads of midweek matches coming up  and not much time to put right such a fundamental problem. 

He has a good track record of getting championship sides in shape for promotion but this is going to be a massive test for him and I hope he is strong enough to meet it.

Spot on, I like how Bruce handled it in comparison to RDM who would just mumble so rubbish and then same thing happens for next four weeks. I am pretty sure brucie is on the phone to some top fitness guys in the country to get them in. With his experience in the English game his black book must be like a cyclopedia. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Spot on, I like how Bruce handled it in comparison to RDM who would just mumble so rubbish and then same thing happens for next four weeks. I am pretty sure brucie is on the phone to some top fitness guys in the country to get them in. With his experience in the English game his black book must be like a cyclopedia. 

I'm sure last night's game will have opened both of his eyes to the problem ;) 

• Like 4

https://www.avfc.co.uk/News/2016/10/15/manager-verdict-bruce-wolves

Steve Bruce spoke to the media following the 1-1 draw with Wolves.

His views in full are below.

On the overall performance…

There’s a lot of work to be done – and that’s probably why I am sitting here.

To be fair, the attitude of them – the blocks and the saves – you couldn’t fault.

We tired badly, which was alarming. 

We had two people – Micah and Tommy – struggling with injury, which affected us a bit because it would have been nice to bring on Big Rudy or Jordan or Leandro to give us a bit of a spark.

But unfortunately the substitutions we had were defensive ones and we couldn’t change the game.

On whether there are issues with fitness…

That’s an easy one. 

I wouldn’t like to say that against any other manager.

But it’s fair to say that some could be in better condition. 

I think that’s only right.

On whether there’s a mental fragility…

The hardest part I have had in management has been getting over a relegation. It’s very, very difficult. 

We have now only won four games in 55 matches – which is an alarming statistic.

It’s my job to find a formula to win, find a formula to be successful in the Championship.

We have decent players here who are finding it difficult with the weight of expectation.

We have to turn that around – that’s why I am here. 

That’s why I hope I will be here in a few years because we have to turn that around and stop the slide. A couple of wins would do that.

GoalWolvesMainOn the game giving him an understanding of what needs doing…

I can understand now why they concede late. It’s blatantly obvious. 

We will go to work on that but it’s difficult in this league because obviously we play again on Tuesday.

We will do absolutely everything we possibly can to make us better equipped to play in the Championship.

To play in the Championship now you have to have to have an intensity to your play just like in the big league. 

On coming in early enough to bring in changes...

I sincerely hope so – and we can only get better.

On injuries to Micah Richards and Tommy Elphick…

They are both calf injuries.

I would have thought both have no chance for Tuesday.

On the injuries scuppering attacking changes...

That was the difficulty. It obviously causes you a problem.

On his reception by the fans…

I thought they were absolutely fantastic – I thank them.

It’s a wonderful club with a wonderful support.

They are finding it tough at the moment but it’s my job to put a smile on their faces and given them the team that they warrant. I will do everything I can. 

On the fan support… 

It’s been bleak for a while of course. 

They are not used to seeing their team play at this level.  

It’s a big club with a big expectation. 

With that you have to go and perform to a level we know they are capable of. 

That’s a bit of confidence and mentality. We will get there. 

JedinakWolvesMainOn Mile Jedinak’s substitution… 

With hindsight the reason I didn’t play Jordan Ayew and Leandro Bacuna was because they had huge, big flights. 

Mile Jedinak had one too, from Australia – and came back on Friday morning. 

Maybe I should have left him alone. 

I wanted his experience. It’s fair to say it’s tough to fly back from Australia and perform in a big football match. 

It was a mistake from me.

I also like it when a manager is prepared to admit that he made a mistake.  It also doubles slightly as a "that was not acceptable" without actually going so far as criticising the player.  I think there will be a few rockets going up a few arses this week in training.

• Like 3

14 hours ago, DCJonah said:

Let's not forget he didn't get the job because we're flying high at the top of the league. 

We're a mess. Need to concentrate on staying up this year and try again next. 

How depressing is that. In 6 years we went from challenging for top 4 to trying to stay up in the Championship.

• Like 2

The performance was below the level I was hoping for but Bruce hasn't been here long enough to deserve more than a very very small portion of the blame for the performance vs Wolves.

The team didn't look fit - he has recognised that and no doubt he will look to rectify that.

The team lacks balance - most can see that but he will have to make the best of it until the January transfer window.

We've failed to win in 49 of our last 53 league matches! It is therefore no surprise that we're not suddenly playing well and beating teams. We've failed to win in so many games for a reason!

He has a huge job on his hands but let's support him and give him a fair crack at this.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

How depressing is that. In 6 years we went from challenging for top 4 to trying to stay up in the Championship.

It's the giant snowball that Lerner pushed down the hill. Stopping that momentum is proving more difficult than I originally thought it would. 

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Brumstopdogs said:

The performance was below the level I was hoping for but Bruce hasn't been here long enough to deserve more than a very very small portion of the blame for the performance vs Wolves.

The team didn't look fit - he has recognised that and no doubt he will look to rectify that.

The team lacks balance - most can see that but he will have to make the best of it until the January transfer window.

We've failed to win in 49 of our last 53 league matches! It is therefore no surprise that we're not suddenly playing well and beating teams. We've failed to win in so many games for a reason!

He has a huge job on his hands but let's support him and give him a fair crack at this.

Agreed.

• Like 1

I wasn't a fan of Bruce's appointment, but now he's here he will get plenty of leeway from me until he gets the opportunity to resolve the idiotic mess RDM has left him in midfield.

After watching yesterday's performance I'm more convinced than ever that promotion is beyond us this season. If Xia wants to protect his investment he needs to dig deep and find the money for three or four (or five!) more players.  Creative and strong midfielders, full-backs and perhaps a goalkeeper

I don't blame Bruce for trying Richards - he probably thought he could get a tune from him - but if he continues to persist with him I'd be less forgiving.  If he fancies giving Gabby a go too, I'll also be sceptical but accepting. He's got to find a winning hand and I guess needs to go through all the tools(haha) at his disposal 

My prediction,on Bruce's appointment, for this season was 10th - very early days obvs but nothing yesterday to suggest anything more than that

We're in real trouble

Edited by VillaCas
  • Like 3

39 minutes ago, Richard said:

Why don't we ever get a new manager bounce? We've had that many new managers we should be bouncing around like a **** beach ball but it never seems to happen for us

We just seem to deflate instead of bounce like a beach ball should 

We got a minute bounce when Garde took over and we drew with Man City and I think Sherwood's winning streak to keep us up in '15 was probably a bounce because it certainly wasn't through any tactical nouse. But yeah, we do seem to never get a break.

Â