Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

I still don't think there's any real chance of us going down. For me the objective should be to finish strongly and build on that next season.

Injuries in weak areas (CB/CM) could kill us though.

12 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I still don't think there's any real chance of us going down. For me the objective should be to finish strongly and build on that next season.

I think we're in big trouble of going down. 5-1 last night wouldn't have flattered wolves.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Woodytom said:

I think we're in big trouble of going down. 5-1 last night wouldn't have flattered wolves.

True but then there have been games this season where 5-1 would've flattered our opponents.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I think it remains a big risk to be honest 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

But we didn't we drew with a very good wolves side, so not all hope is lost

They were not a good side. We made them look good. The standard in this league is pretty low to be honest and from the games we have seen other teams have been better. Considering we spent 50m and bought players suited to this league that is a huge worry, we don't even look like better quality but poor fitness, or better quality but mental fragility , or better quality just unlucky , or better quality just a few out of form, or better quality just adapting to a different style. It is all of those things and poor quality which is a huge worry

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Richard said:

They were not a good side. We made them look good. The standard in this league is pretty low to be honest and from the games we have seen other teams have been better. Considering we spent 50m and bought players suited to this league that is a huge worry, we don't even look like better quality but poor fitness, or better quality but mental fragility , or better quality just unlucky , or better quality just a few out of form, or better quality just adapting to a different style. It is all of those things and poor quality which is a huge worry

I don't think the quality of the players is the issue. As you say the standard in this division is poor and for me man for man on paper our squad is as good as most.

As we have found though games aren't won on a paper and better quality won't make up for a lack of fitness, ridiculous formations/poor organisation, individual errors which overall have led to a lack of confidence.

I think we have a manager who can address these issues and who in January will also fill the holes in the squad. It may well not come in time to see us in the mix for a play off place, although given there are still 34 games to go I personally don't rule that out, but it will come together well enough to see us in no danger of being relegated come the arse end of the season.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

I don't think the quality of the players is the issue. As you say the standard in this division is poor and for me man for man on paper our squad is as good as most.

As we have found though games aren't won on a paper and better quality won't make up for a lack of fitness, ridiculous formations/poor organisation, individual errors which overall have led to a lack of confidence.

I think we have a manager who can address these issues and who in January will also fill the holes in the squad. It may well not come in time to see us in the mix for a play off place, although given there are still 34 games to go I personally don't rule that out, but it will come together well enough to see us in no danger of being relegated come the arse end of the season.

I admire your continued optimism, I feel it is misplaced but I admire it anyway . For me on quality sorry mark but not seen it

. It is a combination of many things that make quality and in our lot I have seen poor application, simple mistakes, misplaced passes, lack of ball retention, no idea what to do with it once they have it, running into blind alleys, not running at all, errors in distribution, the list goes on. Other players, some new to this league, some 'journeymen' have demonstrated more than us. Lack of fitness, lack of confidence neither of those would affect basic football quality / skill and it is something we look light on

1 minute ago, villalad21 said:

We need to stop talking about promotion guys, just stop it. Let Bruce get the chance to build this team over time, we can't keep sacking managers every season.

This is the main thing for me and, without wishing to reignite the Bruce debate as he is here now, that is what I and a few others were saying we needed before we appointed him. A long term build job. Some people were saying we needed to just get up this season and then replace him for the next phase but my argument was that we never needed this as promotion was not going to happen anyway . We needed the long term build and for this to be in his hands is really worrying for me. Even those who wanted him did not accept he was a long term manager.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

We need to stop talking about promotion guys, just stop it. Let Bruce get the chance to build this team over time, we can't keep sacking managers every season.

I agree, but if we win Tuesday it's back on ;)

Edit. Yes yes I know.....we won't.

Edited by Gary Thomas
  • Like 2

3 minutes ago, Richard said:

This is the main thing for me and, without wishing to reignite the Bruce debate as he is here now, that is what I and a few others were saying we needed before we appointed him. A long term build job. Some people were saying we needed to just get up this season and then replace him for the next phase but my argument was that we never needed this as promotion was not going to happen anyway . We needed the long term build and for this to be in his hands is really worrying for me. Even those who wanted him did not accept he was a long term manager.

Bruce never had the opportunity in his career to spend big and have a big budget though. I still think he can be long term, as long as he get good backing from Tony.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Bruce never had the opportunity in his career to spend big and have a big budget though. I still think he can be long term, as long as he get good backing from Tony.

Exactly he's never done it. He has no experience in that, the experience people were lauding is not that. But he is here now and at this moment he is our best hope for survival. We cannot have a nother new manager this season we are doomed if we do.

1 hour ago, markavfc40 said:

After hearing what he said after the game yesterday he continues to impress me. He has quickly highlighted a number of issues, most notably poor fitness levels and being unable to play with any intensity and press other teams, something the other manager failed to do after a full pre season and a dozen games.

That is only half the job though and he now has to put those issues right. He needs time to do that though and I do hope we as a fan base give him that time before jumping on his back as I think for the first time in a long time we have a manager who can take us forward.

I've always been impressed with his post-game interviews at both Sunderland and Hull but the problem was he never seemed to be able to put those issues right. Different circumstances obviously, but I hope he can do it with us.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Mantis said:

At this stage it simply isn't, not by any objective measure.

It really is. We used to say that while in the prem and then it became a guarantee that we'd be relegated. 

It's something we should be worried about and survival should now be the number 1 priority this season.

Things may change and we might by some miracle looks a playoff push later but right now we should be very concerned. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

It really is. We used to say that while in the prem and then it became a guarantee that we'd be relegated. 

It's something we should be worried about and survival should now be the number 1 priority this season.

Things may change and we might by some miracle looks a playoff push later but right now we should be very concerned. 

Yeah we used to say it while in the PL and for years it didn't happen. The season it actually did happen we were doing worse than this and with a comparatively far worse team.

19 minutes ago, Richard said:

Cloud cuckoo land.

we have won one game all season and three all year

we cannot retain a lead

we have fitness and confidence issues

we have poor quality in key areas of the pitch

we are one point above the relegation places after a quarter of the season

we are two points away from the next team above us

we are still not sure of our best side

we have a new manage who is trying to land running

By ANY objective measure it is a risk and people need to remove their heads from the sand

It's a risk - never said it wasn't. It's just not a big risk.

Edited by Mantis

Â