Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Although not as bad as 4-2-4, the 4-4-2 is still a terrible option for a team with a weak, slow midfield and only 1 real winger.

Bruce hopefully has seen this now and will revert to a 3 man central midfield.

2 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

We didn't. Was more kick and rush drivel.

Which is to be expected, given we change managers as often as I change my knickers. Sadly I don't think SB is going to be able to turn this around.

I wouldn't be against just pumping balls into gestede (was my tHought before the season and it hasn't changed). Drop kodjia. Don't think he compliments mccormack like gestede would. The midfielders are clueless so just keep it simple

Gollini 

Richards (gulp)

Baker

Chester

Cissokho  (gulp)

Bacuna

Lyden

Tshibola

Amavi

Mccormack 

Gestede

Awful I know but has balance and could work to a simple plan. 

Sell ayew in January and use the inflated ridiculous price we'd probably get to buy 2 decent cms.

15 minutes ago, Woodytom said:

I wouldn't be against just pumping balls into gestede (was my tHought before the season and it hasn't changed). Drop kodjia. Don't think he compliments mccormack like gestede would. The midfielders are clueless so just keep it simple

Gollini 

Richards (gulp)

Baker

Chester

Cissokho  (gulp)

Bacuna

Lyden

Tshibola

Amavi

Mccormack 

Gestede

Awful I know but has balance and could work to a simple plan. 

Sell ayew in January and use the inflated ridiculous price we'd probably get to buy 2 decent cms.

That line-up, don't know whether to laugh or cry.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Michael118 said:

THE PROBLEM IS PSYCHOLOGICAL/MOTIVATIONAL. 

If we had a manager like Guus Hiddink in charge we would not have collapsed like we did, we would be praising an improved performance and highlighting the difference a quality manager makes.

Lack of fitness is another cop out and only gives me further reason to doubt Bruce knows what is going on. I'm not surprised though because he isn't a manager who has that kind of influence and it's the main reason I didn't want him appointed!

Sorry if I come across as patronising.

But you come to this forum on the back of stating that you

1-havent seen a whole game since the middle of last season.

2-make claims about players to compliment each other

3-managers we should have

4-stating stats from past seasons

and God knows what.

What is your point?

I along with many others here really dont get your logic

P.S. Apologies if I have confused you for another poster

2 hours ago, RimmyJimmer said:

Hiddink??!!!!!  Do fans really believe we could get hiddink? We're rubbish and we're in the championship.

I said Hiddink because he is a clear example of a manager who more than likely would have made an immediate impact.

I think Steve Bruce has created almost an opposite effect. A lot of what Steve Bruce brings to the table is the last thing we need. We need a manager with some x factor, ingenuity and someone capable of lifting team spirit and morale. There is more chance of Steve Bruce sinking us further than lifting us to another level.

Why isn't Gestede playing?

He scored 2 in our win over Huddersfield, the winner against small heath last year and the winner against Bournemouth last year... have we won any other games since he's  been at the club?

2 hours ago, Woodytom said:

Don't buy the fitness issue either?

Perform the basic principles of football........ I.E. keep the **** ball. And you'll spend less time running round like dicks.

Part of the modern game now is to press the opposition which requires a high level of fitness something we fail to do miserably just look at how Spurs and Liverpool do it

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Genie said:

Why isn't Gestede playing?

He scored 2 in our win over Huddersfield, the winner against small heath last year and the winner against Bournemouth last year... have we won any other games since he's  been at the club?

Rotherham not Huddersfield [/pedant].

The only others games we have won were the Wycombe replay, the accidental win against Palace and Norwich.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael118 said:

Hiddink wouldn't have improved the fitness within 48 hours but his presence would have changed the dynamics within the squad and am sure it would have resulted in a better performance from the players than what they showed under Bruce.

That is a figment of your imagination...... you don't know that.

18 minutes ago, markavfc40 said:

And you have decided that after 4 days.

I’d have loved us to look like a completely different side on Saturday but really it wouldn’t have been realistic would it. Bruce had two training sessions and only one with the full squad as a number of the players didn’t return to training after International duty until Friday.

In that short time he actually managed to set us up in a formation that made sense for the first time in ages. Round pegs actually in round holes. After one game he immediately identified the fact that we look unfit and incapable of playing a pressing game something the previous manager in 12 games failed to acknowledge but Bruce after one game said he said he will be rectifying.

I know some have reservations about him and therefore there will be an obvious temptation to jump on his back quickly. I’d urge everyone though to give him a fair crack of the whip as the last thing we need is to be jumping on the managers back before he has even had a fair chance to have an impact. The issues he faces won’t be rectified overnight but at least he seems to have identified them which is further along the path to improvement than we were before he arrived.

He will fix this....for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Article on MOMS about previous managers all using the same fitness excuse, Houllier, McLeish, Garde... Bruce is no exception. 

Sorry but it just can't be a fitness issue here. We've replaced the squad with "leaders", we've invested heavily in "fixing problems", but we're still struggling. The problems much worse than this fitness excuse

Why does everything have to be an "excuse"? There are many deep-seated problems at this club but fitness is clearly one of them.

• Like 1

Concerns:

Brought Richards and Hutton back into the team/squad (although the latter did okay in his short time on the pitch)

Aside from looking to pass more quickly from back to front I saw no other signs of change in approach

Didn't do enough to try to change the game through substitutions though it must be acknowledged that this was perhaps influnenced by injuries suffered during the game

Positives

We scored a penalty

Gollini had a good game

Verdict

Very little evidence that we appointed the right man although it's the first game and he'd been here less than a week

14 minutes ago, Mantis said:

Why does everything have to be an "excuse"? There are many deep-seated problems at this club but fitness is clearly one of them.

A problem that no manager from the last how many years has managed to solve?

The article makes a valid point that these guys are paid huge sums of money to make sure they're fit and able to play.

The signings we made over the summer can't all have the same fitness problem as last years squad - elphick and jedinak not included.

i agree that there's a whole host of things going wrong somewhere, but how much can you actually change without getting any result?

Â