Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

It is far too early to be using that result as a yard stick.

He has already come out and said he knows what is wrong, ( which could be a first for us) lets hope he can fix it.

• Like 1

It seems to me that despite all the effort from so many people, we appear to be getting worse. We think we have bottomed out and it appears not.

This is not a direct criticism of an individual.....It seems all the fire fighters are/have been  doing their best....but we need Red Adair.

The players we sign seem to be worse than the ones we discard in an attempt to get better, we are no doubt in my mind in a paradoxical downward spiral.

I still believe SB has as good a chance as anyone of turning it around....but its like an ocean going liner, not in the space of a few weeks he won't.

He is not going to come out and say what he see's as fundamentally wrong ( it could be counter productive),but he has intimated, He knows, which is a good sign.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, TRO said:

Fair Comments....But correct me if I am wrong.

Steve Bruce left Hull because in his opinion the job was not finished and he wanted to keep building....The funds were not to his liking, so he reserved that right to tender his resignation by implying that he couldn't do the job he was employed to do based on insufficient resource.

We had choices in the style of manager we appointed - Bruce's big selling point was that he could make an instant(-ish) impact, other options included appointing a manager who might take a little longer but may build something that would be longer lasting perhaps.

My post was in the main a response to a feeling growing already that Bruce will need lots of time and patience and that this could be a much longer job. My worry all along is that if Bruce needs to spend lots of money ( we will soon burn through the parachute payments) we might only get one chance to do so. I don't see Bruce as the best person to spend this money and pointed to the Hull squad as giving us some insight into his transfer abilities 

Yes clearly teams need strengthening but the fact that they have shipped 17 in the last 4 must say something

In truth, it was a minor point and pretty much a throwaway comment, but it supports my view that Bruce is not best equipped to build something long term

I'd bet a pound to a penny that had Hull been pulling up trees in the Prem then his advocates would be pointing to that as a positive sign  

I wouldn't have appointed Bruce, but now he is here I clearly want him to succeed. He has pretty much a free ride until January transfer window comes in my opinion.

I'm very worried about his transfer abilities though and would like to think that he doesn't have complete free rein in that respect 

• Like 1

Was delighted to hear Bruce mention fitness today. It's been a problem for the last season and this and glad that it's been fully recognised  

Surely in the short term the answer is to make the villa park pitch smaller? There's massive gaps in our midfield and barring our midfield becoming fit in a week that's the next logical option?

Away the answer is to pack 5 across the midfield until it improves. Not sure how the fans would react to that tho. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, decamoto said:

Was delighted to hear Bruce mention fitness today. It's been a problem for the last season and this and glad that it's been fully recognised  

Surely in the short term the answer is to make the villa park pitch smaller? There's massive gaps in our midfield and barring our midfield becoming fit in a week that's the next logical option?

Away the answer is to pack 5 across the midfield until it improves. Not sure how the fans would react to that tho. 

...or perhaps buy Jedinak a mobility scooter to get around on?.....GPS for Richards and Cissoko? The ideas are endless

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We had choices in the style of manager we appointed - Bruce's big selling point was that he could make an instant(-ish) impact, other options included appointing a manager who might take a little longer but may build something that would be longer lasting perhaps.

My post was in the main a response to a feeling growing already that Bruce will need lots of time and patience and that this could be a much longer job. My worry all along is that if Bruce needs to spend lots of money ( we will soon burn through the parachute payments) we might only get one chance to do so. I don't see Bruce as the best person to spend this money and pointed to the Hull squad as giving us some insight into his transfer abilities 

Yes clearly teams need strengthening but the fact that they have shipped 17 in the last 4 must say something

In truth, it was a minor point and pretty much a throwaway comment, but it supports my view that Bruce is not best equipped to build something long term

I'd bet a pound to a penny that had Hull been pulling up trees in the Prem then his advocates would be pointing to that as a positive sign  

I wouldn't have appointed Bruce, but now he is here I clearly want him to succeed. He has pretty much a free ride until January transfer window comes in my opinion.

I'm very worried about his transfer abilities though and would like to think that he doesn't have complete free rein in that respect 

I don't necessarily agree but its a decent argument.  Lets hope your fears are misplaced.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, decamoto said:

People will scoff but you are dead on with those suggestions !

• Like 1

4 hours ago, blandy said:

That bit is spot on for me. The players are scared. They're scared of losing, scared of making mistakes, scared of getting stick, scared of their own shadows. They play with fear weighing them down.

The question is, how do you stop it? Not just the immediate confidence issue, but the overall mental fragility?

New owner, 2 new managers and almost a complete new team, but yesterday it felt like watching any number of games under AM, Lambert, Sherwood etc over the past half a decade. Same lack of bravey on the ball, same almost 'yip like' behaviours when making simple passes and a general feeling of uncertainty from them. 

They aren't thriving on the pressure of playing for a big club with expectation, they are struggling to cope. The problem right now is, we are back in a similar cycle to previous years, where the negativity of the players rubs off on the fans and vice versa, creating an environment which is no good to anyone. 

• Like 2

It's ridiculous to suggest we'd have to wait until the January transfer window before we're allowed to fully judge SB. Everyone in favor of the appointment seemed fairly certain he'd be able to make an instant impact. He can't be held accountable for yesterday obviously, given he's had no time with the squad yet, but surely we can expect a proper impact in the coming weeks? Otherwise we might as well stuck with RDM. 

Also I refuse to accept we don't have enough quality. Our summer dealings where decent enough, best we've seen in years imho, even though we seem a little light in midfield. Jedinak obviously needs to up his game, and I fully expect him to do so, and Tish needs to stay free from any more injuries. I don't rate Gardner or Westy all that much, but expect them to at least be able to compete on this level.

Sadly the mental side seems to be our biggest issue atm, as many have pointed out, and if SB can't sort this bit out instantly, he really doesn't cut the mustard, short term or otherwise.

12 minutes ago, vreitti said:

It's ridiculous to suggest we'd have to wait until the January transfer window before we're allowed to fully judge SB. 

Ffs I wasn't a fan of Bruce's appointment but it's far from ridiculous to reserve final judgement until he has had a chance to bring his own players in!

Clearly I'd expect some lift in performance before then but to be fair to the bloke I don't see what quick solutions to a gaping hole in Midfield and complete lack of fitness are available overnight

Not even his severest critic could surely make a full judgment on his abilities until January at least

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

Ffs I wasn't a fan of Bruce's appointment but it's far from ridiculous to reserve final judgement until he has had a chance to bring his own players in!

I honestly believe a proper experienced manager wouldn't greatly need to improve this squad. McCormack, Kodjia, Adomah, Grealish, are comparable to Barcelona's strike force at this level.

2 minutes ago, vreitti said:

I honestly believe a proper experienced manager wouldn't greatly need to improve this squad. McCormack, Kodjia, Adomah, Grealish, are comparable to Barcelona's strike force at this level.

Maybe

What I don't agree with is that it would be 'ridiculous' to wait until January to make a full judgement on his abilities 

2 hours ago, decamoto said:

Not allowed to change dimensions of the pitch during the season. There is a higher and lower size, but it has to be declared pre season.  The only way I'd trust our midfield if we played on a 5 a side pitch.

• Like 1

I am not bothered about the strike force. which is undoubtedly very good for this level. The problem is getting the ball to them much faster, and from the back. We were back to hoofing it and surrendering possession again yesterday.

Well why not give him until the summer while you're at it?

I get your point, everyone needs time to make their mark. Fair enough. But all those that joined in on the Steve Bruce 'wankfest' suggested he'll not need time, and that we'll still be able to fight for promotion. I think we can all now agree, this is highly unlikely, almost impossible.

Â