Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

Just now, Keyblade said:

I'm just perplexed at how he can go from completely turning is around and showing sound fundamentals to looking absolutely clueless. What changed?

Yep the ony positives have now turned into negatives, when he came in we were immediatly much harder to beat, now we are back to just giving it away.

• Like 1

Just now, romavillan said:

Even under MON (who was more motivator than tactician in my book) there was no plan B, now plan A is pretty hard to distinguish. Changing it every couple of weeks doesn't really help. We are a million miles off a player not even having to look and knowing he'll find a player there because it's second nature. Good teams have that. I can't remember the last time we did.  

Absolutely!

We we're painfully easy to read under MON.

Get the ball as quickly as possible to Ashley young and then either cross or more often as time went on Young tried to move inside to get a shot on his own towards the far corner. Or fall down and get a free kick.

Still, it was at least a clear idea all player could perform under. And sadly this was probably the last time we had such an implemented system.

Fwiw I'm not a fan of MON and wanted him replaced at the end of his final season. Sadly Lerner didn't pull the trigger and we all know the rest.

Also how the hell did we go from having Kodjia, Ayew, McCormack and Gestede to just Kodjia and Hogan (not counting Gabby or even RHM for obvious reasons)? We went from the strongest strike force on the league to one of the thinnest in just 1 window.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, TRO said:

That is exactly my point.

Its been the main thrust of my thoughts throughout the previous managers too, because I have seen it under them too.

I have no unconditional view to give Steve Bruce a get out of jail card.....but the amount and consistency of these basic errors has me baffled.

I am not sure that Steve Bruce or his team are the right people to start having to coach the basics, unfortunately you need a Tony Pulis for that sort of thing.

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

Also how the hell did we go from having Kodjia, Ayew, McCormack and Gestede to just Kodjia and Hogan (not counting Gabby or even RHM for obvious reasons)? We went from the strongest strike force on the league to one of the thinnest in just 1 window.

Because as good as our window was in terms of bringing players in, we had a disaster of a window in terms of outgoings.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

What I mean by it is that we don't seem to have any kind of plan as a team. As a team we don't seem to know how to work the ball out of our own area other than hoofing it. There's such little movement and pressing. We seem to constantly be so deep leaving the striker isolated, and the ball keeps coming back. Fundementally, we're not very good and do not look like a team. We don't seem to have any method of scoring a goal, we seem to be reliant on someone (mainly Kodja) creating something out of nothing. 

When was the last time in open play we actually got a central midfielder inside the oppositions box?

• Like 1

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Because as good as our window was in terms of bringing players in, we had a disaster of a window in terms of outgoings.

Even our midfield which is one of the areas we supposedly really improved is kind of thin. One injury to Jedinak made it obsolete. What was the point of getting rid of both Tshibola and Westwood? We also have like what, 3 center backs? Don't tell me we sold someone there too. What a disaster.

40 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'm just perplexed at how he can go from completely turning is around and showing sound fundamentals to looking absolutely clueless. What changed?

The personnel at the club.

Prior to January, we were in good form.  We then lost players to the AFCON, lost players to other clubs and brought many players in.  It always takes time for changes to have an impact and players to bed in.

As fans, we don't really accept this.  If you spend money, you want an instant return.  That could well work with 1 or 2 players, but we've replaced at least half of our starting eleven yet again.

(Edit:  Not that I think Bruce's tactics have been any good at all either!)

Edited by bobzy
  • Like 3

19 minutes ago, bobzy said:

The personnel at the club.

Prior to January, we were in good form.  We then lost players to the AFCON, lost players to other clubs and brought many players in.  It always takes time for changes to have an impact and players to bed in.

As fans, we don't really accept this.  If you spend money, you want an instant return.  That could well work with 1 or 2 players, but we've replaced at least half of our starting eleven yet again.

(Edit:  Not that I think Bruce's tactics have been any good at all either!)

Given my vast experience in football management gleaned from Football Manager, I can confirm this. Even if the players you bring in are better than the ones replaced, it doesn't always work out.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Keyblade said:

And when we had plenty we played one up top, but now we play two!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, sne said:

Exactly this.

We lack a basic system for the players to work under. There are no clear lines to our play. Not in possession, nor when we are defending. This uncertainty makes players nervous and causes mistakes. 

Fwiw it's been one of many problems under most of our managers since MON, and it's what you get when you hire "motivators" rather than tacticians.

Couldn't agree more, i posted this in the whats wrong thread:

*Disclaimer, nobody outside of knowing whats going on at BMH can possibly know whats wrong, and most certainly i dont, however.....

Heres one thing i dont get, I dont see any of the principles of football in our play. week one you work on defending, role of pressuring, covering, balancing defenders, functionally what you want your 1-11 to do when the ball is in XYZ position. Shape in denying space, transition of each line as a unit, getting into players, backpressing, defending the counter attack etc...

Once all the defending is done you work on penetration, breaking lines, playing in between opposition units, getting on the half turn, driving, mobility to find space. Speed in transition when you win the ball. If thats not open, you work on creating width thru #7/#2 and #11/#3, giving support and depth to each player to switch the point of attack, working on playing at a speed of play that the opposition cannot handle, bouncing the ball and setting it to underneath players, getting players who want to get on the ball in the team.

I see none of this, I cannot tell you why, but my best guess is they are either not being taught this, or are not following instructions.

Only have to look at Silva at Hull to see a team being taught/and or executing instructions, the change in them has been phenomenal.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Eastie said:

When calderwood arrived he said the big attraction was he would be in charge of training - since then it's all gone tits up - maybe questions should be asked of him ?

I've said he needs to go more than anything weeks ago

2 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

I think brucie needs to get phelan back in ASAPASAP

I'm really not convinced he's earned the right to be dictating more changes at the club right now... 

• Like 3

Â