Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

11 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

That's the bit that upsets me the most, is that he is acting like there is nothing wrong when the whole world can see that there is.

I believed the vile behaviour of a few extreme supporters a has a lot of us who want him gone labelled incorrectly.

There is always a few that go too far and ironically that WILL put Steve Bruce back on side with many fans

but lets not be coy either......That was a horrendous second half against very poor opposition.

The inadequencies are there every game, unabated.

ps we have all been here before, where a manager has over stayed his welcome.....this is unfortunately what happens.

Edited by TRO

8 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

He's clearly got some drive, some pride not to leave here in this way, but you have to look at him and wonder on the effect this is having in his health, and think that with the money he has, the security he has and the lifestyle that can afford him, does he want another month of this?

If he doesn't need the money and the job is affecting his health then he can resign anytime he wants. He has to know by now that he's not able for this job. He never was and he never will be. 

5 minutes ago, DaveAV1 said:

I agree but that, on the whole, is the immediate fault of the manager who has been here for almost two years. The overall structure of the club is clearly the long term issue. Which is probably a factor in why the owners are yet to act. Ideally  they would probably have liked Bruce to mind the shop while they put more structure in place. However, as you rightly say, even the basics are missing and so their hand may be forced. 

I am not privvy to what goes on at BMH.....but my guess is not a lot.

I have no idea, who the next manager should be, but I just hope we can find someone who can instil the fundamentals back in to the side.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, TRO said:

There is always a few that go too far and ironically that WILL put Steve Bruce back on side with many fans

but lets not be coy either......That was a horrendous second half against very poor opposition.

The inadequencies are there every game, unabated.

ps we have all been here before, where a manager has over stayed his welcome.....this is unfortunately what happens.

Yes it's all over for him, it's only the timing left now. If I wasn't married, I would bet my house that no matter what by November 1st, we will have a different manager.

History says that even if we beat Millwall, the next loss will be excuse enough.

I remember thinking when Southampton sacked Adkins, that's outrageous after what he had done there. Looked what happened though... 

I believe the right manager, not necessarily some big name, but the right person.... Could get a tune out of this team, we have no defence so we need to unleash our attack until we can sort out reinforcements.

Edited by Villan_of_oz

34 minutes ago, TRO said:

Mark you and Briny are right, some of it is uncalled for.....He is human and some of it goes beyond the pale

Unfortunately, That second half was too.....and until someone says it like it is.....The frustration will spin out of control.

That second half was a shocking display of capitulation.......If I was a coach, I would not preside over that, if I thought it wasn't me or I didn't deserve that and  that's the best I could muster out of them I would walk.

I get the frustration mate and I am as frustrated as anyone with how things have panned out. Bruce out chants, you don't know what you're doing, sacked in the morning. Yes fair game given some of the crap served up but some of the vitriol on social media crosses a line into verging on hatred and is way over the top.

Last night was shocking but it wasn't something we haven't witnessed in a number of games we just perhaps hadn't been punished for it. Preston were beaten at half time and trhough our own lack lustre play and coming out foot off the gas on the back foot we let them back in to they game. I'd say in way over 75% of Bruce's games we either put two poor halves together or at least one. A decent 90 minutes is few and far between.

There is no ifs or buts this is down to Bruce. Two years, four transfer windows and backed by a fortune for this level if not in fees then certainly in wages. This is his squad and what we have seen is the best he can muster. I don't think it is down to attitude of the players. I think it is how he tells them to play. He may well have said last night at half time lets be solid, not push for a third, drop back a few yards. He certainly had to have said something as we came out with a completely different mentality and it is not for the first time. Then when all seemed lost we managed to switch up again and go back on the front foot. Something again we have seen plenty of especially this season as backed up by all the late goals. That certainly suggests there is plenty of fight in this team.

I don't know if it needs to be dissected anymore really. I am gutted he is getting the sack. Perhaps selfishly not really for him but for us. Once again a managers tenure ends under a cloud, with a crowd full of vitriol, the culmination of what has to be seen as two years of failure and therefore two more wasted years.

Edited by markavfc40

1 hour ago, TRO said:

It wasn't Johnson's introduction that caused the problem, it was our ineptitude in dealing with him, as you say.

The writing was on the wall way before the red card......That just confirmed what had been coming.

It was a shocking display incompetence from us.

I agree - the red card made little difference imo Preston looked a totally different team from the kick off and I also could sense that 2-0 would not be enough - you have to give credit to Alex Neil for this - not for the first time an opposition coach does a number on Bruce.

He should do the right thing and tender his resignation at 9.00 am

11 minutes ago, villaglint said:

What time do these things usually happen? I'm pretty amazed it didn't happen last night. What more do they need to see?

Would either be done after the game or today before Midday. If there's still no announcement by 5pm today he's staying and I'll be in a dark room, crying my eyes out, eating a raw cabbage. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Villan_of_oz said:

Yes it's all over for him, it's only the timing left now. If I wasn't married, I would bet my house that no matter what by November 1st, we will have a different manager.

History says that even if we beat Millwall, the next loss will be excuse enough.

I remember thinking when Southampton sacked Adkins, that's outrageous after what he had done there. Looked what happened though... 

I believe the right manager, not necessarily some big name, but the right person.... Could get a tune out of this team, we have no defence so we need to unleash our attack until we can sort out reinforcements.

Keegan!!!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Last week I checked 6 of the 11 players played most minutes this season were here before Bruce arrived (Hutton Chester Grealish Jedinak Kodjia Adomah)

Maybe I'm wrong but I emphatically did not want Bruce exactly for the reasons the now majority seem to have woken up to

I've said it countless times but Bruce is good at managing players already at a club, then when he piles his own players in loses the plot. He is like a kid in a candy store in the transfer market without having a plan of action of who or what is needed and what the philosophy is. Frankly he should have gone in the summer for getting on board the ridiculous "team to get us up" plan, rather than demanding long term signings. Players know that should we get up or the target not reached come the summer they'll quickly be cast aside. Brilliant man management eh!?

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, DaveAV1 said:

You’re not reading my posts properly. I didn’t say a top manager, I specifically said that clubs have overtaken us with managers that we had never heard of up to recently. 

We don’t need a manager after a big payday, we need a manager on the way up who has the character and personality to not be overawed by the job but isn’t some big time Charlie who keeps harping on about what he’s achieved in the past. We need a manager for the future not the past. 

I’m not advocating spending stupid money, I’ve consistently said we need to be a much more intelligent club in every way. Using the money cleverly is the way forward. Do you seriously think that Man City have done anything other than pay lip service to ffp? They have clever accounts and clever lawyers. Which is another aspect of the business of football that we have been seriously short of. The hope is that this is about to change. 

And I agree we’re festering in The Championship, but I said that surely isn’t the intention of NSWE going forwards. 

Fair enough. I was previously quoting someone who mentioned Wenger, Fonseca and Zidane as possible candidates so that's where the top manager comment came from. Which are clearly ridiculous names for us to be thinking about given where we are.

I just can't see us getting anyone of any note because they will want big money and we just can't spend like that at this stage.

Whoever we get, it needs to be soon or else I really think we will finish in the bottom half, which would be a catastrophe given our FFP position.

Edited by One For The Road
  • Like 1

10 hours ago, villarocker said:

So, if you had to watch his mistakes over and over and over again and sit right behind the dugout, at no point would you shout something abusive at the manager?

You can shout critical and damming comments without going down the abusive and nasty path. There's an important difference. 

• Like 1

Surely today is the day. I see absolutely no point in waiting until after the Millwall game. The atmosphere will be toxic if Bruce is still there. Much better to have a caretaker and at least have everyone united. 

• Like 1

I still cannot reconcile with what I watched last night, I am as dumbfounded as I am disappointed and angry.

I don't know if it's Bruce's fault but it's someone's fault and as we cannot reasonably consider sacking the entire squad we have to look at the Manager.

That second half was unreal, even before we went down to ten men (now without our only recognised centre back for 3 games too) we looked like we'd given up, we barely touched the ball before the red card. Then we just became absolutely clueless, there was obviously no form of contingency plan for going down to ten men, why he took Abraham off and left Kodjia on is beyond me, entirely beyond me (Kodjia was stood still in the middle of the pitch when they started their attack that led to the red card and penalty).

Going to 3-2 down was highly predictable, as was the manner of it frankly, then something absolutely bizarre happened and we started playing football again - why do we have to be a goal down to do this?!

We got lucky with an equaliser (highlighting just how shite the opposition actually were, in my opinion) and then the magic moment.

In some respects it would have been glorious, 3-2 down in the 90th minute and win 4-3, would it have saved Bruce? I doubt it, the performance was still shit and it would only have papered over cracks but still, 2 goals after the 90th minute when down to 10 men, there's something in that right? Wrong. Penalty Villa. We've got billy big bollox £25M champions league/England regular (in his head) Jack Grealish on the pitch, not him? Okay, how about Bolasie, McGinn, Bjarnason, even Elmo with 3 goals this season........no, no, no forget that, here's the solution guys - Glenn (1 goal in 6 years) Whelan.

What happened next was so predictable I might not have even bothered watching.

From 45-90+ minutes truly the most bizarre football matched I've witnessed at Villa, and frankly, not one single aspect of it reflects well on the Manager (or anyone else associated).

• Like 4

Â