Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

1 hour ago, Ingram85 said:

I sit firmly in the Bruce out camp but peeps on here need to realise that VT is a microcosm of Villas overall fan base and I’d have to say that in terms of support for Bruce it’s probably a 33/33/33% in terms of keep/sack/don’t know, so I can understand why they haven’t sacked him yet.

The feverish shouts to oust him just aren’t as widely replicated elsewhere in the fandom as they are on here. Amongst my own family and friends who support Villa I’m probably only one of a couple who want him out with a few undecided and a couple in favour of him. 

The in fighting in the stands shows that Bruce’s football and tactics (or lack thereof) still has its supporters. The recent off field dramas and some lucky results blind a lot of fans imo to Bruce’s negative tactics and baffling choices imo. It’s never his fault of course. 

Im going to the Rotherham game and I’m going to try and enjoy watching us win in spite of him and try not to watch him wobble about the dugout with his hands on his hips hopefully not trying to make sense of why it’s gone wrong yet again with everyone playing right back, a goalie up front and an actual right back playing in goal. 

Well when were stuck down here next season with no parachute payments you will get to thank your estimated 33% that want to keep him and would blindly follow him into the abyss.

I'm sure they will change their minds eventually but by then it will be far too late.

Edited by AshVilla
  • Like 1

28 minutes ago, AshVilla said:

Well when were stuck down here next season with no parachute payments you will get to thank your estimated 33% that want to keep him and would blindly follow him into the abyss.

I'm sure they will change their minds eventually but by then it will be far too late.

Whilst you polish your trophy for being right all along.

I don't support Bruce, I support Villa, but while Bruce is our Manager I want him to do well because it means we do well, sadly I don't get that sense from some people.

17 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

I don't support Bruce, I support Villa, but while Bruce is our Manager I want him to do well because it means we do well, sadly I don't get that sense from some people.

I think the majority saw him as the right man. It hasn't happened. It won't happen with him in charge so it is time for a change. You have the extremes of both sides. Those that will blame him for everything including brexit and those who will always back him even if he slept with their wife. 

9 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Why would I want to thank them? They just have a different opinion to me. I completely disagree with it but they are entitled to it. None of us know how the season will pan out. We can only guess. 

There are no absolutes in football, I want him gone but I’m under no allusions that the next manager could be a complete flop. To me though, fear of the unknown risk is not a reason to stick with something that is failing.

I think people (society as a whole at the moment) need to learn to be more friendly and engaging with those of an opposite viewpoint. It’s not Us Villa fans vs them Villa fans, were all Villa fans. We want the same thing. We just think differently about the current course. No need to get aggressive, dismissive or snarky about it. Oh and as much as i love it, there are a lot more important and serious things to get upset and vitriolic about than football. Pretty much everything in fact.

agree with the sentiment.  I just think football is a lot more important than you.  Life, love, happiness are certainly more important.  But what i eat for lunch in MUCH less important.  Probably because football provides a whole lot of life, love, and happiness for me.  (Unless I'm watching Villa play like amateurs of course, then it brings me deep sorrow and that too matters more than what I eat for lunch.)   :) 

50 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

So what you're saying is an abused wife/husband should stay with X or Y because they're a nice bloke/bird? Gotcha.

Some of us people love our club so much we just don't want it married to a cretinous oaf like Bruce, get rid, pronto.

Edited by Hoof hearted
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, omariqy said:

I think the majority saw him as the right man. It hasn't happened. It won't happen with him in charge so it is time for a change. You have the extremes of both sides. Those that will blame him for everything including brexit and those who will always back him even if he slept with their wife. 

This

I think everyone knew at the time we appointed Bruce that his footballing style was more old school than progressive, he was more about man management than tactics, with the right players and support network he does well and he makes team hard to beat. He has one if not the best records for Championship promotion.

But most also saw his footballing approach as a 2 year plan, believing when we reached the Premiership we would need something different. He doesn't respond well to change, rarely has a plan B and his transfer record often involves volume rather than quality, but so many managers are the same.

I think there is still scope for him to succeed at Villa, if we start seeing results the moaning will stop even if some will grumble about the style of play, ultimately it is results that matter and as long as we are winning Bruce can win fans over.

Most like myself believed we had a team capable of promotion last season, it didn't happen. Things haven't gone well this season so far. 

He has Bolasie and Abraham yet to debut, he has a back up keeper to turn to if he is done with Nyland. If he brings Terry in or finds a solution to the defensive situation then he can easily still turn things round.

But people are panicking because they don't believe he will and we want change quickly so we still have a chance of promotion this season.

it will probably be months before we know one way or another where this season and his tenure is heading.

Edited by VillanousOne

57 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

We all want him to do well. We've been willing him on for the best part of 2 years now. It's just not going to work obviously, so we want him to go. That doesn't mean we don't want Villa to do well. 

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

You and I don't often see eye to eye.  But we do (at least somewhat) on this.  I have never hoped we did poorly in order to push him out sooner.   

I do think (and have for some time) we would be better off now if we had removed him months ago.  And I think we will be better off months from now, if we remove him now.  But I recognize those are my opinions, not facts.  They are not provable either way, ever, and cannot be proven right or wrong.  They are opinions about alternate realities on some hypothetical alternate timeline.

There are some who have said that they want us to do badly so he'll leave sooner.  There are some that were disappointed when we did well because it could delay his departure.  I disagree with both (and resent that I am sometimes treated as if that's my view.... lumping all "bruce out" view holders is not fair or accurate.)   I do not think they are bad fans, or poor Villa supporters.  But, in my opinion, they are treating their opinion as if it were a fact.  It's a common human trait.  Some Bruce in folks do the same and assume their opinion that anyone who wants Bruce out is impatient or foolish or hysterical is a fact as well.   

IF it were a guaranteed knowable fact that we would be better without Bruce than we are with him, then anyone that wants the best for Villa would want him gone, even if it meant some short term loss.  It's just not a guarantee-able, knowable fact.  That's why I cannot hope we do badly.  I can and do hope NSWE come to agree with my opinion that we will be better in the long run without him.  Even though every manager transition is risky.   But if he's here, I'll hope for 3 points every match. 

I'll even hope I'm wrong about the alternate timelines.  Unfortunately I feel pretty strongly that I am not.  And my opinion is not naive or hysterical, it's based on a lot of experience and a lot of observations of facts about our performances.

23 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

We all want him to do well. We've been willing him on for the best part of 2 years now. It's just not going to work obviously, so we want him to go. That doesn't mean we don't want Villa to do well. 

I think the majority who want Bruce out do because they want the club to succeed. It's plainly obvious that the only way to get this club moving forward is to get rid of Bruce. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Hoof hearted said:

So what you're saying is an abused wife/husband should stay with X or Y because they're a nice bloke/bird? Gotcha.

Some of us people love our club so much we just don't want it married to a cretinous oaf like Bruce, get rid, pronto.

Yeah, because those two things are exactly the same. 

Domestic abuse and whether or not a football club should sack the Manager or not. 

• Like 3

57 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

I'd love to see the results of a poll on whether people would:

a) like to see Villa lose the next 3 games and SB sacked

b) villa win the next 3 and SB staying on

• Like 1

1 hour ago, srsmithusa said:

agree with the sentiment.  I just think football is a lot more important than you.  Life, love, happiness are certainly more important.  But what i eat for lunch in MUCH less important.  Probably because football provides a whole lot of life, love, and happiness for me.  (Unless I'm watching Villa play like amateurs of course, then it brings me deep sorrow and that too matters more than what I eat for lunch.)   :) 

Anyone else initially take this to mean that football is more important than Ingram?

• Haha 2

4 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Yeah, because those two things are exactly the same. 

Domestic abuse and whether or not a football club should sack the Manager or not. 

Because that's exactly where my view was coming from ffs, he's no good for Villa and if he hangs around too much longer we will be irreparably broken, people of your opinion are becoming a scarcity recently, maybe you should try Facebook to find like minded people? 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

Someone make it happen please :)

32 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

If A meant B was not just the usual glimmer of false hope to paper over the cracks to be followed up by a continuation of the past couple of seasons, and then allowed us to get a better long term manager to bring us more than just promotion I guess you would have to call me a shit Villa fan.

It would take alot more than 3 wins for Bruce to convince us of anything anyway, we've had those win streaks before after injury/luck clicked a winning formula.

Swiftly to be brought back down to earth by the underlying issue.

Edited by JAMAICAN-VILLAN
  • Like 3

27 minutes ago, bannedfromHandV said:

to be honest it wouldnt surprise me if a conversation had already been had with owners and that was roughly the target set. we should be taking 9 pts from the next 4. that's the target i've set him anyway as for the first time after sheff utd i'm looking at the fence wondering if the grass might be greener on the other side

Â