Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

15 minutes ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

If you don't like it, don't read it or better still, ignore it perhaps.  ;)

It's not that I don't like it, it's fascinating.

It's as if you read a post and think "Hmmm, there's nothing I can argue about here. I know, I'll pretend this post says something different that I disagree with and argue with that instead!"

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Just now, TheStagMan said:

It really isn't true. You are seeing things that just don't exist. Even the most ardent Bruce others acknowledged when we had a good game, unfortunately games that deserved praise were few and far between.

They didn't.

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

They didn't.

Oh dear me. You really need to go back and look at the posts around the time of decent matches then.

*edit* decent matches are where we have played well and won, not where we have played badly and won. Try to understand the difference.

When we have played badly but still managed a win, then there are justifiably issues to bring up (complain about if you like that terminology better). Ignoring visible issues because we won is just stupid. Yes, enjoy the win, but don't ignore problems.

Also it is possible to very.much enjoy the win but.still be concerned about the future based on what was seen on the pitch.

Edited by TheStagMan
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Great if you believe that.

I don't. I think it was clear last season that there were posters here who praised victories through gritted teeth. Even if we won a game well they'd be picking faults because they couldn't bear to give Bruce credit.

And it was clear that some posters reveled in us losing because it made them right about Bruce.

You're not allowed to say that. People will reply to this with faux outrage at the very suggestion that that could be the case. But we all know it's true.

it was 100% true...go back to the boro pre match thread, there was more than one post suggesting that they wouldn't mind a defeat if it meant bruce got sacked. i remember a certain chap called grasshopper that just refused to enjoy any victory or praise the manager (i think he famously voted 'poor' or 'average' for manager performance for the 5-0 win over bristol city).

i've said it before, we're the only club that makes excuses when we win...again, read back through the post match threads after wins, you'll find plenty of posts saying we only won cause the opposition were shit, or that it had nothing to do with bruce, was all because of steve agnew or just individual brilliance etc etc

so yes i quite agree, i believe a number of people in many ways enjoyed a defeat more than a victory

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

2 minutes ago, tomav84 said:

it was 100% true...go back to the boro pre match thread, there was more than one post suggesting that they wouldn't mind a defeat if it meant bruce got sacked. i remember a certain chap called grasshopper that just refused to enjoy any victory or praise the manager (i think he famously voted 'poor' or 'average' for manager performance for the 5-0 win over bristol city).

i've said it before, we're the only club that makes excuses when we win...again, read back through the post match threads after wins, you'll find plenty of posts saying we only won cause the opposition were shit, or that it had nothing to do with bruce, was all because of steve agnew or just individual brilliance etc etc

so yes i quite agree, i believe a number of people in many ways enjoyed a defeat more than a victory

Nah didn't happen mate. You're just making it up ;) 

8 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I genuinely could never picture any Villa fan saying, "Ohhh we play some great football and keep winning but I just can't stand Bruce".

Most would say "Fair play, the bugger got it right tonight", although he would almost certainly then come out with things like "Hopefully shut one or two up", "not had millions to spend", "These lads have only been here 20 minutes" etc basically digs at the fans so he does not help his case in the scenario you create.

Football fans enjoy good football, especially when the team they love is playing and winning with it.

This makes zero sense to me.

I wouldn't care less if Petre Andre was the manager if that were the case.

You might have a more valid argument if you were pointing to people refusing to get carried away after a blistering performance as they know good performances are simply the swingback of the leg before the impending kick in the nads when we get beat by QPR for example.

That would be Insania!

1 minute ago, Keyblade said:

At the end of the day, whatever their motives...those posters may turn out to be right :( 

as it's 7th September and not 5th May, i've fixed your post for you

Just now, tomav84 said:

as it's 7th September and not 5th May, i've fixed your post for you

Well, May 26th 2018 already passed and we're still here...so they were right then.

It's remain to be seen for this season as you rightly say, but I'll fix my post too and say it's very likely that they'll be right again :( 

Just now, Stevo985 said:

No they didn't.

It's looking likely that they were right that bruce wouldn't get us promoted.

But they weren't right in all the nonsense that made them spout.

Was Grashopper right when he slated Bruce after every single game. Even games that we won 5-0 and 4-1? Was he ****.

Again it goes back to my point all along. Wanting Bruce out is fine. I want Bruce out.
But having that opinion cloud your judgement so that you think everything Bruce does is bad is nonsense and tiresome. There are posters here who will never give credit to Bruce. There's posters that have openly admitted this.
it's like there are posters that are afraid if they credit Bruce with anything it will weaken their "bruce out" stance.

Black and White VT. It's ok to want bruce out but accept when he does good things. The guy isn't a moron. He knows what he's doing even if it's not good enough. People talk on here like he's a bloke who's wandered in off the street and does everything by accident.

I only meant they were right about Bruce not getting us promoted. We didn't, they were right and I would actually put money on us not getting promoted with Bruce this year.

Some people are just like that, their dislike for the manager clouds their judgement and everything he does is twisted into a negative. We've seen it with previous managers, most recently and notably Paul Lambert.

I will say this though, the number of these unreasonable people who hate on Bruce regardless is so much less than past managers had. The fact that we can name them off the top of our heads is testament to that. Most of the opposition to Bruce has surprisingly been quite nuanced, for VT at least. Which is why I find it hilarious that Bruce keeps responding to fan opposition with snide remarks. No Villa manager since MON has had it as good as him in that regard really.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Stevo is on the warpath. Love it. ✊

This binary way of thinking has invaded our lives in a lot of different areas and it's clear as day when it comes to discussions about football nowadays. No room for nuance or any sort of spectrum, players and managers are either excellent or appalling but most importantly, everything they do has to fit into some sort of agenda. It's nuts really.

I assume you realise, and I agree with you, that you are referring to posters on the extreme ends of the debate. Thankfully, there is a whole mass, it must be pointed out, of posters in the middle, who are quite capable of reasoned discussion.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I assume you realise, and I agree with you, that you are referring to posters on the extreme ends of the debate. Thankfully, there is a whole mass, it must be pointed out, of posters in the middle, who are quite capable of reasoned discussion.

Nothing more "black and white" than griping about the extreme and extrapolating their position to a large chunk of people who don't even hold it.

Yeah there were people like Grasshopper, but the majority of people who want Bruce out can and have provided well reasoned arguments in support of their position. 

• Like 4

Â