Steve Bruce

Demitri_C

41 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

I basically agree with this, but we had a load of crap on the bench. I'm not sure what change we could have made that would realistically have improved us. 

I think grealish for Gardner, Bacuna or tshibola would have just helped get a bit more control in the middle. 

The much maligned Warnock with a similar if not slightly better record. Bruce has done well, but could have done better imo, he's the right man to steer this ship back around for me. 

It's going to take time. Lansbury and Hourihane will certainly help. 

23 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Yes it is. We have no other senior strikers. 

I really don't see how that makes any difference. Him being a "senior striker" is irrelevant. Fact is he isn't scoring, and we aren't winning. I understand why he's being picked, I just find it hard to accept.

Bruce speaks a lot of sense ,I like him a lot he is old school and doesn't accept any rubbish from players this has been going on at villa for years ,will be interesting to see how far we have come by end of season when he has a few of his own signings settled in I'm looking forward to 2nd half to season can see us really developing into a decent side .

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Stratvillan said:

How is it Bruce's fault for rm behaviour. He isn't deflecting he's saying he can't pick our only centre forward because he can't be arsed to train. If youre criticising him for this what would you like him to do? We gave a youth player a start, had another on the bench and that's it for the forwards - that isn't deflecting it's explaining. 

I'm not saying McCormack's behavior is Bruce's fault, or excusable. But in the timing of his rant, you can't deny people are not reporting how we threw away a two goal lead. Or have left ourselves woefully short up front by selling Gestede so early in the window.

It's Fergie-esque, or maybe I'm giving Bruce too much credit. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

The much maligned Warnock with a similar if not slightly better record. Bruce has done well, but could have done better imo, he's the right man to steer this ship back around for me. 

It's going to take time. Lansbury and Hourihane will certainly help. 

Well Warmock is wrongly maligned he is a decent Championship Manager.

But IMO comparisons are a little unfair, Warnock inherited a damaged barge, Bruce inherited the Titanic.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, DCJonah said:

I think grealish for Gardner, Bacuna or tshibola would have just helped get a bit more control in the middle. 

Maybe you're right, but I don't think it's particularly clear-cut. Grealish wasn't playing particularly well, but he was also getting the ball in dangerous areas and could have created the chance to finish them off. 

As I say, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not bad enough for me to criticise Bruce over. 

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

Maybe you're right, but I don't think it's particularly clear-cut. Grealish wasn't playing particularly well, but he was also getting the ball in dangerous areas and could have created the chance to finish them off. 

As I say, I'm not saying you're wrong, but it's not bad enough for me to criticise Bruce over. 

I'm not saying that changes would have guaranteed a win, and I acknowledge the limited options. But from the kick off you could tell momentum had shifted and to not respond to that at any point IMO was always going to lead to what happened. 

2 hours ago, DCJonah said:

I'm not saying that changes would have guaranteed a win, and I acknowledge the limited options. But from the kick off you could tell momentum had shifted and to not respond to that at any point IMO was always going to lead to what happened. 

I personally wouldn't say from kick off the momentum had shifted mate. I don't think it was any surprise that the team 2-0 down comes out looking a little lively as I am sure they had a rocket put up their arse as we were well on top for 45 minutes.

I think Bruce kept it as it was as that formation/line up offered the best chance of catching them on the break as they pushed forward more. With regard to Grealish whilst he wasn't playing well he was finding a lot of space and there is always the potential with him that he can do something special. There was also no real attacking midfielder on the bench to replace him with.

Personally I don't think it was lack of changes that cost us in the second half it was simply a couple of poor pieces of defending. As simple as that. Then having lost the initiative there was no one on the bench to bring on who could re ignite us so the game just petered out but the lack of options really wasn't Bruce's fault.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 2

Think we have to stick with Bruce and let him see his plan through. He has a good team with him - and alongside Round, I trust them to turn things around. Of course, Xia is just as important for making sure we get the players we need. I trust them. 

2 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Weren't we in the relegation zone at the time you wrote that? If not, we'd only just left it. 

We were in the relegation zone when Tim Sherwood took over as well.

The performances have been terrible under Bruce since the beginning and now there are signs whatever positive psychological effect the appointment had could be reverting back as well.

It doesn't look good.

Â